Main Menu

How many AA's/AC/HP to reliably tank in Planes?

Started by Bulge, January 10, 2004, 01:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aneya

If you are adamant about tanking, get CA 3, CS 3, PE, LR 5 and ID 5 as soon as possible.

With CA 3, CS 3 and PE I can off tank some BoT giants in a bind.
EQ Aneya 70 Beastlord Tarew Marr
EQ2 Evalin Swashbuckler Mistmoore

Moonchaser

I very dependably tank in all zones up to BoT, the key is deffensive AAs, a good 2HB weapon, max Sta. As far as Agi goes, yes it does help, but the only time I EVER have it maxed is when I am fully raid buffed, and getting the mob slowed, granted my gear and AA lvl is decnet at this point in time (sig is a link to my magelo) but I am regularly a tank in Pre Sol Ro Tower Exp groups (and off tank in Sol Ro) as well as LDoN.

Lewzephyr

Quote from: BulgeSo I am guessing at least the 50% slow is needed. How many AA"s (the defensive ones) am  I looking at before I can reliable TANK in zones like PoI and PoD?

My beast, and my monk were MT in PoI, PoD, and PoN by 54.  It could be a little iffy if slow didnt land on mob, but it is Very do able.  This is with NO uber gear what so ever.  Just Bazaar Bought items.. No Fungi, no uber weapons...

so, couldyou do at 59, ya very easily... My beast is setup with AC and HP as king with wisdom / mana following shortly therafter.
Quyx Shadostyx - 65 Vah Shir Beastlord
Sekani - 57 Iksar Monk
Aoumin - 53 Eurdite Necromancer
Fulcon - 40 Wood Elf Druid
Loyal Members of Da Hui on Quellious

Hereki

Just backing up the last post - with Bazaar gear, I was MT in PoI at ZI in a decent group, no problems.  I tried tanking in the factory at 58, was ok with singles, but wiped pretty fast on doubles.

Tommba

Tanked POI groups reguarly at 58-59.

Tanked in a 65 ldon ef group, rest were all lvl 65 with a cleric and shammy. Cleric was meleeing most of the adv, aggro was solid.
Baron http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=888523">Tommba Braderick <http://www.dieringtraeger.de">Die Ringtraeger>
64th Season Savage Lord
Vallon Zek

LevarilofLanys

I think level has a lot to do with it.  I am level 65, but I have almost no AA's so far.  I am able to tank giants in BoT if necessary.  I have tanked named in BoT as well, including mini-bosses. (not by choice, the MA died almost instantly for some reason) I would guess that it is incredibly mana-inefficient, but it is doable.   Oh, and I am often the slower in the group.  At least 65% slow is a must for this zone.

My gear is okay, but not great.  Raid buffed I have about 6k hps.  I have no defensive or offensive AA's yet.

I would suggest that any level 65 Beastlord with at least moderately decent bazaar gear should be fine tanking all Tier 1 and at least some Tier 2 zones with no AA's.  The lower your level the more Defensive AA's you would need to be able to tank.

All this is not to say that you would be a *good* tank.  Just that you *can* tank.  I don't think that if you put a warrior and a beastlord side-by-side and had them tanking the same things that there would be much of a comparison, providing that they were similarly equipped, buffed, and AA'ed.  Maybe some of the time geared Beastlords might disagree, I don't know.  Seems to me that a time geared Warrior will still be a better tank.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=783987">
http://members.shaw.ca/gsawkins/Levaril/LevarilSig3.jpg">

Levaril Catspaw
Feral Lord of Mythic Legends
Lanys T'vyl

Nuknuk

Nuknuk    - 56 Troll Beastlord (Brell)
Ginasye    - 58 Woodelf Rogue (Brell)
Binkkie    - 50 Hafling Druid (Brell)
Tuvenea    - 30 Dwarf Cleric (Brell)

Soriab

Go buy Ornate and Save points for top end LoDN Armor.

First I will say this. HP > ALL for tanking.

Second to sucessfully tank as a beastlord in PoP Tiers get the following AA's

CA3 = 12AA
CS3 = 12AA
ND3 = 12AA
PE = 5AA
LR5 = 15AA

That will make several things happen.

More HP
Better Mitigation
Better Avoidance
More Rip/Block

All the above = Less Damage

Xilbeast

around 6000 hps and 1100+ ac with the level 65 slow for tier 3.  

I solo in hoh/bot regularly and these are about what i have when i go looking to do that.  KEI is also a must or my mana runs out too soon in the battle.  Paragon and pet mend are also BIG help.

Ive got one of the defensive arch types to level 3 the other to level 2 (forget which is which).  both healing archtypes are level 3, as i have augmented both weapons with lifedraw procs.  Im wielding i think its called 'stone etched mallet'(?) from the earth ring.  (mud?) and epic in offhand.  yea yea yea its backwards i know but i want the epic haste until i can either get a new weapon or another haste item.

Ive dropped a mob in sol ro before and 2-3 in fire although both places are very difficult, the mobs max hits go up from 550ish to 650ish and the pet loses its abilties to hold them off while i heal greatly.  I have dpoc.

Losariav

Not to be nit picky but LR5 = 15 aa's 3 per rank
Losariav's junk
65th Beastlord
Mithanial Marr

Soriab

Quote from: LosariavNot to be nit picky but LR5 = 15 aa's 3 per rank
Edited and thanks for catching that.

Tukash

Well I think I fall into the catagory of non-uber.  I have played full time tank in Bot against various giants and the bees.  With my own buffs and virtue I sit right at 5400hp.  Last time I tanked there I only had CA1 (currently at CA2 one AA from CA3) also have CS1.  Don't have LR, ID, or PE but will be working on those next.  I have been able to do it pretty reliably.  Use FoL or disempower if I loose aggro, they usually get it back pretty quick.  Never had a problem with Cleric being LOM.  Hopefully this will give you an idea of a min of AA that you can start.
Tukash - Feral Lord, Tarew Marr

Morganti

i off tank BoT giants...its painful...not fun...and sometimes kitten has to back me up untill that big heal lands...

but then again, i am probably uber gimp

i only break 1k ac if i have virtue on

/hide

Soriab

AC Does help but in PoP its almost all ways about the HP

dewddabst

mostly broken down to, u get all the avoidence AAs is one point, lvl 65 is one point, rest of defensive AA is one point, every 1khp is one point. assuming ur lvl 62, and 5khps exp buffed.

u can tank in tier one with 0 points okay
u can tank in tier one with 2 poitns with good proficiency
u can tank in tier two with 3 points with good proficiency
u can tank in tier three with 3 points (okay on exp mobs)
u can tank in tier three with 4 points with better proficiency
u can tank in tier three with 5 points with excellent proficiency

7kbuffed is achievable pre elemental, even pre VT.