Main Menu

Advanced Pet Discipline Question

Started by Grizmaster, October 06, 2005, 04:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizmaster

Hello, this question's been bugging me lately and have asked about it in game with no answer from anyone, but does anyone know if the Advanced Pet Discipline AA (/pet no cast and /pet focus) helps with controlling pet pushing? Been wanting to get this aa next if it definately helps with pet pushing, it's the only reason I can think of to make having this AA a priority ability to get.
Wildcaller Grizmaster

Tastian

Doesn't help pushing at all.  The first rank is useful in multi-mob type of situations and low health situations where you want your pet to stick on a certain mob.  Rank 2 atm does absolutly nothing for a beastlord.  Personally the AA having to be toggled every zone and not returning the pet to hold after its target dies left me wanting for the AA so I usually just forget I have it lol.  Others like it more, but either way it won't directly help with pushing and rank two is just for laughs, ex.

"OMFG sorry we wiped on vish guys.  Stupid me forgot to /pet no spells before we engaged!! 8("  It's also crazy useful on OMM.  8P

Essant

I'm a big fan of APD 1 .. its extremely useful in mult-mob situations like Tastain said, and I think its essential for raiding where you have an AE'ing boss or other mob that you dont want you pet to run off and re-engage at will.

APD 1 simply allows absolute precision pet-targetting, you can put your pet on any mob, whenever you want, without fail .. but it has nothing to do with push.
Elder Essant Le'Fur
70 Vah Shir Beastlord of the Rathe
Brotherhood of the Spider
My Stuff!

Goradana

The second lvl with /pet no cast could be useful sometimes. Not worth it as long as u dont have anything good to spend your AAs on, but i played lots with a trigger happy druid. After he got agro, i can only try get it back with spells, root wont work since pet will proc and drop root in seconds.
With no procs we could root the mob and let the pet taunt him a few times before he starts breaking root.

Pretty rare use for the points, but thats only time i would have considered using it, if i had it

Kanan

But the point is that the pet is not "casting" a spell.  It is proccing.  APD2 doesn't stop this proccing.  The only way we can stop the proccing is to not cast the buffs that give it the procs.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Tastian

Yeah the pet will still proc.  The situation you describe it another reason why pet buff control really needs to finally get implemented.  Right now if you want your pet to stop proc'n then you have to dispell it down(taking out buffs you probably want in the process) and it just almost never happens.  Pet no cast though literally does *NOTHING* for our warders.  It is known, and was left in intentionally, but this isn't a "small gain" or "situational" it is literally nothing.

Bengali

Yes, the only reason this was put in is because mages and necros have pets that cast spells and sometimes they don't want them to.  It was just added to all the pet classes as is, instead of creating a seperate AA for the classes whose pets don't cast anything.  That's also why it was made the second level, so people who didn't have casting pets would never have to buy it if they didn't want to, but they could always buy it later if at some point down the road they got a pet that *did* cast spells.
Savagespirit Bengali Grimmspirit, Scion of Shar Vahl

"My friend Mark said that he saw Bengali totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.
And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

shenk

think the main reason for this was earth pets that cast root and ruin ranger dps.

Kanan

well... most magi I know detest their fire pet bcs of stupid dispell casting etc, so it could make the fire pet be able to be marginally effective once again.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar