Main Menu

The Grey

Started by Lizbet, July 22, 2004, 09:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizbet

Can anyone tell me is The Grey is a decent zone for a level 56 beastlord to solo in. I'm looking for something different to do. Also is there decent drops in The Grey?
Thanks for you help.

Lizbet

Hereki

I soloed in the Grey 59-62 (part of), as well as getting my epic drop around 56 and VT shard later.

The golems and shissar revenants at the temple were ok, with decent drops.  The biggest problem was people making trains into Ssra, which could easily kill you.  The other useful camp was the sun revenants in the NW corner; easy to single, and possible to avoid traps if you learn where they are.  The problem I had their was bards.

At lower levels the skeletons are easy, but hard to get single, and the traps are a problem.  The boulderlings are low level, but spawn 3 at a time and have a nasty proc.

The toughest mobs in the zone are the shimmering rock fiends.  Slow kills, and adds are dangerous.

With the low exp mod in this zone, I'd treat it as a place to camp for drops only.

Lizbet

Ok thanks for the information. I'll look into a different zone I think.

Lizbet

Dakat

The grey is not a good place to go solo in.  According to the zone exp modifier (ZEM) this zone has a negative value.  It has a -13% associated with it or 65 depending which scale you use.

I'd recommend going somewhere like PoJustice zone out.  It at least has a + 58% exp bonus to it or 119 depending on scale again.

Whereas, a normal zone would be a value of 75. If you were in the Grey, you would get 13% less exp per kill. If you were in PoJustice you would get 58% more per kill than if you were in a normal zone.

Oneiromancer

Except that Planes zones supposedly have a penalty to solo experience...or perhaps that experience bonus only applies to groups.  Not sure if it's a rumor or been confirmed, but I have definitely seen it said many times in the past.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Tastian

The "solo penalty" for planes is because of the changes to ZEMs.  A lot of planes used to have higher ZEMs, but when they added the bonus exp for groups they lowered the ZEM.  This meant that mobs gave less exp, but grouped it still worked out to more.  However, if you were solo'n then you didn't have a group and mobs did give less exp than they used to.  It isn't a case of less exp for solo'n, just that mobs gave less exp than they used to in order to compensate for the higher amount of exp groups were getting.

Oneiromancer

Ah, I see.  I've only seriously played since there have been experience bonuses for groups so I didn't realize that.  It makes sense now.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Hereki

They reduced the ZEM such that the group bonus for a duo (15%?) exactly compensated for the reduction.

Xarilok

Went to TM to get Flame the other day, and some 65 ranger was killin the named...I suppose to get a copy of flame a rip off some beast, grr.

So, I decided to try out the Grey and get some new sleeves.  So, due to long zone times, and the occasional train to SD, I zone into grey first, and find no train waitin to smack down the druid, nor anyone else in the zone.

So, I invis up, and head to the Ssra area, sit down at a corner, cast pet, and begin killing.

After a bit, some level 65 druid comes into the zone (had seen more than 1 65 zone in, annouce a train to Ssra, then zone.

This 65 said nothing.  Nor did they zone.

The ran up to the pyramid, and seeing 2 other people on track, and the golems at the temple ALL DEAD....figured that no one was camping there.  (obvious, since we were on track and the mobs were dead after all)

So, I am killin the shissar, and when I get back to the front of the temple, I find this arsehole root-rottin the golems...sigh.

Not even as much as a /ooc camp check? Nothing.  Just barged in and took the mobs we were camping.

So, my wife keeps hitting track when it refreshes like she always does...no named.

Pull a lb shissar, have it half dead, and I resisted the Golem Smash Spell...then notice my health dropping 10% in a short order.  So I hit F9, so I can see what is smacking me....its the named I was after, spawned in the back of the temple.

I get slow, incapacitate and 2 nukes off on the golem to see the druid run around the corner.  Ha! Too late Mr.I_Steal_Camps_From_Others_To_farm_greenies!!

We stay there till we get sleepy, since zoning takes more time than we would get from a better exp spot anyway.  No more named pop before the jerk druid leaves, hehe.

All in all fun and fustrating at the same time.
Venerable Xarilok Loungelizard - 62 Beastlord and Cat-Hater extrordinaire.