Main Menu

Grinding through JPF at 54

Started by Nanndas, October 26, 2004, 04:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prelgor

OK, I am definitely missing something.  I'm currently a 56 BL, and I've been to Nurga three times.  Once, I went with a cleric buddy, and we whomped our way around from the entrance clear to Remmy's room before we called it a night.  The other two times, I went solo and got my butt handed to me.  Tier B is where I get stopped.  I can take any one or two of them without much trouble.  The exception is when one of the necros hits me with fear.  Then, I run like a pansy little elf and bring back a bigger party than Binky and I were planning to attend.  Thankfully, nothing sees invis, so the CR wasn't too painful.  

What am I doing wrong?  My MR isn't that great, around 75 or so.  I can work Endure Magic into my buff cycle (which only occurred to me just now  :oops: ), but it still seems risky.  If they were enchanters, I'd hit myself with Sicken to keep mezzes off.  Are there any tricks for dealing with fear other than just to kill the caster ASAP?  How can I keep from becoming the necro's next bone chip?

NoxCruor

Oh goodie...another question.  Let's see if I can help ya out.

Ok, first take a glance at my magelo.  93 MR??  Sucks pretty bad, huh?  Yet that, plus endure magic, plus resist disc make ALL the difference.  Especially when fighting the necros.  Here's a small tip:

When going up against something which you KNOW will be a caster, DO NOT USE YOUR FEARLESS DISC!!  Just before the fight, use your resist disc.  Two reasons for this:

Mostly your Fearless disc just raises your resist up a little bit more, especially to Fear spells (although it may not work, had Fearless on and have been feared...but not in Nurga :P).  And, it doesn't last that long at 56.  You'd be better off just working your resist disc while making sure you keep EM on you.

There is also where and how you pull that can make a difference too.  If you're in the spot I've talked about, you should be able to single pull to there.  Right at that little area where Tier B begins (right next to Tier A, not far from the entrance) is an excellent safe/pull spot.

Believe it or not, 5 MR can make ALL the difference in resisting something..and having your butt handed to you on a platter.

Now, because I can't see your magelo and I don't know what you do when you pull...here's what I do as an example.  It may or may not work for you...but it does for me.  And that's really all you should be looking for in a method...what works for you.  So here we go.

Rog_Gobo_01 is right next to SK_Gobo_01, but the rogue is closer.  I know I want to pull him first because if I pull the SK, the agro will draw the rogue with him when the SK passes the rogue.

So, what spells do I have lined up?  Well, Cancel Magic, Slow, Malaria, Venom of Snake, Regen/Spiritual R., Pet Haste, Pet Heal, DD.  That's not how they are lined up 1-8, but that's what I have there.  I switch to that spell line up after I buff myself and Tasha with all the good ones, like SB, SR, Dex, Health, EM, etc.

Ok, so, pull the rogue with CM.  Why?  Just cuz there are shamans in the area, who knows if the wanderer that goes around there decided to buff this rogue up.  I don't want him any stronger than he normally is, do you?  Rumors about CM having a less agro radius just are not true.  So how do I make sure that I get just him?  Simple answer is it's all about the range of the spell.

Try this sometime, though at 56 you probably already know this:  Get JUST out of range of the spell, move a step foreward and cast.  Many times mobs have been right on top of each other, and I've single pulled this way.  Now, I don't know specifics as to why, but here's what I think:  Because of the agro radius of the other mobs only reaches so far, it does not however go as far as the range of the spell.  So, their agro is like a radar.  A spell is cast on them, their radar lights up and looks around.  Doesn't see anything.  However, their buddy takes off running somewhere like a bat outa hell really pissed off.  So Mob_02 just thinks that his friend needs to take some zoloft or prozack or something.  If someone has a real answer as to why, please bring it.  I'd love to know.  All I know is that this method works.

Ok, so...got the rogue, it's pissed off with it's tongue lolling out of it's mouth like Odie from the Garfield comics.  Send in the warder!  Now...just cast your slow, dots, maybe the DD, then go in and fight.  The only thing you really have to make sure of is that you have your endure magic on.  While it may seem trivial to use such a low spell...it makes ALL the difference.

Now, not sure if any of that answered your question or helped...so here's what I'm going to ask.  Can you link us your Magelo if you have one?  It will really help put things into perspective as far as what gear you have.  It could be an issue of resists.  Or it could be an issue of resists, plus low HP for your level.  Ya never know :)  And if this didn't answer your question, please don't get discouraged...ask again...maybe a bit differently, and I'll see what I can do :)
Khillarri
Dark Beastlord Outcast of Shar Vahl
Sworn Protector of the Nox`Cruor Clan
~Hidden within the night, we follow our Prey.  Surrounded by the darkness we seek our retribution.  Over the centuries, you came for us and sought our destruction after learning the truth.  Now, we come for you and seek your death after centuries of torture.~  Orionus Nox`Cruor

NoxCruor

Something I forgot to add...

Even though your resist disc won't last the entire time you're hunting, and you're bound to run into more than one or two casters in a row...getting your resists unbuffed up is good, and then you've also got EM you can throw on you.  The other casters I usually don't worry about in regards to my MR.  I usually resist what they throw at me pretty darn well.  That's why I reserve my disc for those that can Fear.  Again, hope this information helps.  Let me know if it does or not please.
Khillarri
~Hidden within the night, we follow our Prey.  Surrounded by the darkness we seek our retribution.  Over the centuries, you came for us and sought our destruction after learning the truth.  Now, we come for you and seek your death after centuries of torture.~  Orionus Nox`Cruor

NoxCruor

Just thought of something else...what pet proc are you using?  If you have anything above Spirit of Storm or higher, add to that the dex buff on your pet plus toys, you'll be interupting the caster a lot more too.  That should help some :)
Khillarri

Prelgor

Wow.  Thank you, Nox!  Magelo is cranky at the moment, so I can't post an updated profile.  Some "bottom line" numbers are, self-buffed 963 AC, ~1100 ATK, well over 2k HP.  I have FT4 (boots+solstice earring) and usually dual wield an IED/WLK combo, with SCHW haste.  My most recent bazaar purchase was a War Crested Ring (only 3k!) and I'm currently longing for the bracer from Toiler Opanin in Harbingers (11 AC, +8 to Str, Dex, Wis, rec 60) to replace a Hero Bracer.  Hopefully, that gives you a general idea of my gear.  I think it's decent.  Oh, and I usually have Spirit of Snow up on my warder.  (Spirit of Flame is far too expensive, and not THAT much better to justify the cost.)

Let me see if I can summarize what you said:
- always have Endure Magic up.  It helps more than you think.
- Use Resistant Discipline.
(snippage of pulling tips)

I'll try out your two main suggestions next time I go back there to solo.  Pulling hasn't been a problem, it's just getting past that first necro in Tier B.  

Of course, I seem to have found a different solution to the problem.  My 56 cleric buddy (and guildleader  :)  ) came with me again last night, and she was impressed.  With her Resist Magic on me, and her bashing the casters, I only got feared once, and that was thankfully a non-event.  Pacification also worked wonders for splitting pulls.  We made it as far as a few mobs into Tier D without too much trouble!  :D  I think we're going back again.  The loot was pretty decent, too, although we didn't catch any named up.  

But overall, Nurga sucks.  I hate it.  Don't go there.  Stay away, you'll thank me later.

NoxCruor

Quote from: PrelgorBut overall, Nurga sucks.  I hate it.  Don't go there.  Stay away, you'll thank me later.

NOW you're catching on.  >:)  More people we keep away from there the better!  So yes, Nurga most definately sux0rz!
Khillarri

Coldbeast

Quote from: bellzebut on November 04, 2004, 05:38:22 PM
duoing there woudl kill the litle xp you get.

But as a soloer i loved every minute of it there.
Dont know why. Was easy and calm and was trying to kill more and more between spawn time (25min aprx.) so i would look at my watch and see if i could killed another construct or no. BTW you can single pull any construct from the pit just cast on them and back up  a bit. Carefull becasue they summon so use slow to pull, although probaby will be resisted or Partially land.

At 55 i could manage to get a blue per run so every 25min or so. Not the fastest but i was killiging like mad and time went pretty fast there.

Everything was LB to me at 55 from entrance to construct outside castle. and from what ive seen,when i falled down the pit and tryed to get out, everything is also LB in castle.

But im a picky soloer. And The hole was fun to me. Probably not for every one.

Edit: As for pulling single ...i was pulling single at 54. Was pulling with slow no problem.
Crusader are the only mob i didnt like they LoH and heal themself so need to nuke hard and slam if possible when they get around 40%.
Other than that they were all prety much easy maybe except the Construct.

i actualy went to the hole for my first time today .. and thats where i got lvl 52 ...woot woot.. lol.. i was able to pull the constructs solo.. i went down with a 53 ranger.. and when he went afk the few times.. i soloed them realy well.. i would say  .. id do 4 or 5 then have to med and heal - bandage .. im sure getting down there would be a lil hard .. i think we lucked out because there where a few people doing the ent ... the ex went fast as hell.. walked in with 2 yellows to fill and got them in a lil over an hour... splitting with 1 other person . going to try it solo.. will update and let you all know how it works.. oh .. by the way .. im  the type of person . who will die to see how far i can go ..lol.......sometimes good.. a lot of the times bad ... but always fun ..

imax

imo, constructs arent worth it, usually what i do is work my way through the castle...now if you cant handle multiple adds at once, this may not be a good idea, but with buffs and a beefed up warder, and a heal potion or two, servant, and vet aa xp, i can pump out an aapt in about an hour nonstop killing going through the first castle (usually 60 percent of an aa in the time vet aa is going), and thats going 100aaxp