Main Menu

DPS question

Started by Xular, July 11, 2006, 06:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xular

I was looking at the bst weapons in demiplane and there are 2 that i was wondering about DPS.

Runic Bloodstained maul
Runic Bloodstained Maul
MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM NO TRADE
Slot: PRIMARY SECONDARY
Skill: 1H Blunt Atk Delay: 24
DMG: 38 Dmg Bonus: 15 AC: 27
STR: +25 STA: +25 WIS: +20 INT: +20 AGI: +20 HP: +305 MANA: +305 ENDUR: +305
SV FIRE: +20 SV DISEASE: +25 SV COLD: +20 SV MAGIC: +20
Required level of 70.
Effect: Life Sap II (Combat) at Level 70
WT: 1.2 Size: MEDIUM
Class: WAR RNG MNK BRD ROG BST
Race: ALL
Slot 1, Type 8

or

Cryptwood Tonfa
Cryptwood Tonfa
MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM NO TRADE
Slot: PRIMARY SECONDARY
Skill: Hand to Hand Atk Delay: 18
DMG: 31 Dmg Bonus: 15 AC: 28
DEX: +25 STA: +20 WIS: +20 AGI: +25 HP: +305 MANA: +305 ENDUR: +305
SV FIRE: +20 SV DISEASE: +20 SV COLD: +20 SV MAGIC: +25 SV POISON: +20
Required level of 70.
Effect: Fiery Strike V (Combat) at Level 70
WT: 0.5 Size: MEDIUM
Class: MNK BST
Race: ALL
Slot 1, Type 8

Which would do more DPS in the main hand. info would be greatly appreciated  :-)

Fightclubx

try plugging them into the dps parser we have on equipment section of forums dont knowhow accurate it will be but it will at least give you some idea.

http://www.beastlords.org/forums/index.php?topic=5369.0

Kanan

just glancing at the ratios tho, the tonfa is a fair amt better at 1.72 vs the club's 1.58.

The club is almost identical to our 2.0 in ratio, if aug'd with tunat 1hb aug.

By your question being interested in MH, it appears that you are intending to keep your 2.0 equipped (which i wholeheartedly agree with honestly) ;p

If i plug in my info to the calc'r, the tonfa comes out approx 20 dps ahead, mainhand.

and as a loot tidbit.. 2 classes fighting over an item means you'll get lot faster than what most of my guild's rangers seem to be wanting ;p
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Rykusx

AFAIK, I believe the best BST weapons in game at the moment, in terms of DPS in mainhand, are:

1) Steam-Powered Cogblaster - 179.38
2) Cryptwood Tonfa - 175.71
3) Twinfang, the Immortal's Bane - 168.29
4) Runic Bloodstained Maul - 155.23
5) Epic 2.0 - 153.38

Beside each weapon I posted DPS numbers from calc using level 70, 2000 attack, 365 dex, 95% haste, all offensive AA's, avg mob lvl 70, avg % tanking 0%, 25 combat effects, 50 accuracy, fero 5, cleave 5. No augs were added to the weapons.

I've no idea how these numbers will differ at the true "endgame", as the DPS calc doesn't have 2.5 aug or Eye of the Lycanthrope / Tear of Deepest Regrets augs in it's database - epic 2.0 with 2.5 aug and either Eye or Tear aug might come close to cogblaster in mainhand, as it will clock in at 43 dmg / 23 dly instead of the base 38 / 23.
Rykusx
75 Troll Beastlord
Maelin Starpyre

Kanan

and a caveat re: the cogblaster: yeah that proc has a resist mod on it, but you are still rather proc dependent.  We are no longer nearly so proc dependent for our dps as we were at the time of gates/oow, thanks to dodh in a large part.

For my personal preference, were all weapons a possibility, I would prefer Twinfang, but that's bcs of the LT proc... and having a Mayong weapon ;p

Kroshx

Wildblood Kroshx - 75 - Beastlord - Drinal

Essant

I still think your best overall combo is going to be Tonfa + Tris aug / 2.5 + Roley aug.

Elder Essant Le'Fur
70 Vah Shir Beastlord of the Rathe
Brotherhood of the Spider
My Stuff!

Kroshx

Tris? Roley? What are those? Not familiar with them.
Wildblood Kroshx - 75 - Beastlord - Drinal

Kanan

Demi-plane mobs.. they drop augs, similar to the tunat augs, just better.

Katonis

In the parses Ive seen and from what others actually have Im pretty sure the best combo for us at this time is indeed as Essant said, MH Cryptwood Tonfa (plus Eye of the Lycanthrope) and OH Epic 2.5 (plus Tear of Deepest Regrets).  This is the combo Im actually working on right now if the dern Tonfa would drop. =p 

Denti

I parsed a fair bit and have all end game weapons except mm hammer (never cared to spend dkp on it) and at the moment my combo outside discs is cogblaster with the dk aug (3 dmg and lifetap 1) and in offhand 2.5 with lifetap 2 and tear of deepest regrets. During discs i switch to cryptwood tonfa with eye of the lycanthrope of course, same on cold resistant mobs. Everywhere else the other combo is quite a bit more dps, however it generates some aggro issues.

recoil silverclaws

same here allso, tonfa/2.5 when discing and CB/2.5 normaly. With the parces ive been doing the tonfa is a good steady amount of dps but with the CB if you get a good string of procs on a mob you can turn out a good chunk of dps. I atm have been working to get my CE a little higher to make the best use of the CB. Tonfa is a little easyer to get sence like you said befor there are only the two class's on it but ive seen that at least in my guild the CB was prity easy to get allso sence not a whole lot think of it as a great dps wepon (sept for us bst's /cheer) so you never know lol.
-Elder Recoil Rahl-
    -- of ctv --
a prexus guild
         and
-Hissar Spits-
   --of twinky alts-r-us--

Denti

Did some new controlled parses on a level 70 character in rogue position and unbuffed (45% haste, 85 accu, 58 ce, max atk) and CB/2.5 beats Cryptwood Tonfa/2.5 by 30 dps. Each parse is around 30k swings long so it isn't a real baseline parse but long enough to see a trend.

Will do the same combination in 2 more settings, one with 108% haste and the next with 108% haste and Empathic Fury.

Kanan

when you are swinging less, you are uping the % of the damage that proc is of your total damage output.  Proc should stay a constant, haste or not, so it should have come as no surprise that the tonfa was far less in that situation.  I guess CB would be better for Hanvar or other slowed situations, but there aren't that many situations on raids where we have to function slowed or at less than 100% haste.

I still prefer the balance and steadiness that melee dps grants over proc dps.  If a new zone has the equivalent of a powater or RSS basement, where cold spells are totally useless, you can deduct that proc from your dps, bcs it will be resisted almost 100% of the time.  There's also the agro issue:  melee dps is dependable and steady agro.  If you turn on attack at point A in the engagement vs point B, you will be at the same level of agro after the same amt of time has passed, whereas with procs, you may get your 3 procs for the minute in 3 successive, initial swings.. and steal agro and be stuck feral swiping bats at bind.

That's why I've always, since dumping the ED so long ago, preferred melee dps over proc dps.  Esp since we've gotten the DA AAs that we were so desperately needing.

Denti

Completed my parsings now, the results actually surprised me a bit. I didn't think that the cogblaster is that good. Apparently it is by far the best weapon for beastlords at the moment except during discing (barely) and against completely cold resistant mobs. I used the following weapons during parse, 2.5 auged with Deep Sky Stone in slot 1, Tear of Deepest Regrets in slot 2 and wielded in offhand all the time. Mainhand weapons were Cryptwood Tonfa auged with Eye of the Lycanthrope and Steam-Powered Cogblaster auged with Blood Drinker's Bone Fragment. Atk was unbuffed 1770, hasted (with Hastening of Salik) 1841, all stats maxed, 45% worn haste, Cleave VI, no ferocity, 85 accuracy, 58 combat effects.

Unhasted:

Cogblaster/2.5: 260.56 dps (18161 hits, 9748 misses)
Cryptwood Tonfa/2.5: 230.29 dps (16806 hits, 9304 misses)

Hasted with Hastening of Salik and Taelosian Guard (108%)

Cogblaster/2.5: 336,42 dps (19275 hits, 10642 misses)
Cryptwood Tonfa/2.5: 314,37 dps (24404 hits, 13561 misses)

Hasted (same as above) using Empathic Fury (no pet hits)

Cogblaster/2.5: 609,61 dps (26125 hits, 14476 misses)
Cryptwood Tonfa/2.5: 611,39 dps (20893 hits, 11850 misses).

As i said above i am very surprised how good the CB is, i thought the tonfa would lead especially during the disc by a very substantial amount of dps, however that is not the case. Of course there are some effects that will close the gap somewhat, one is the missing ferocity VI focus (although that adds only around 5% doubleattack), a bigger part might be a higher atk value, if i find the time to do some more parses i will certainly try to parse with an atk over 2k as well, however not the whole series since i cant be bothered to spend another 20 hours parsing last expansion weapons.

Cogblaster has its own problems and restrictions, but nowadays every kind of weapons has some restrictions. One is of course high cold resists, however on raid mobs that is nearly never a concern since druids are able to debuff cold resists by a fair margin, even on XP mobs i have very rarely seen an outright resist of all procs, note, if that is the case however you are unable to land any nukes as well since they dont even have a resist mod. The same thing, although in a smaller way, effect the tonfa of course, fire resistant mobs will resist its proc lowering its dps even more, fire resistant mobs seem to be a bit more common, especially if you take xp zones like pofire and the upper part of RSS into account.

One of the most apparent risks of wielding a weapon with a big proc is of course the aggro problem. This can lead to getting aggro earlier, especially in zones or on encounters where mobs frequently fd the main tank (zi thuuli, razorthorn for example). On normal mobs where a main tank can keep aggro it is not a problem at all if you wait the first few percent with your nukes, common sense would advise to do that anyway. At the moment i use 4 nukes and 1 dot during our raids and do not have a big aggro problem except on mobs with frequent maintank changes. Obviously i am quite high on the aggro list with that setup, but most of the times still behind rangers and zerkers.