Main Menu

Agility, what's it good for?

Started by Logato, January 08, 2004, 12:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coprolith

No really, i give in Nuny, I can't argue with one of the 0.002% most intelligent people on earth. An IQ of 161? You're the new Einstein! (who had an IQ of ~160)
Elder Coprolith III
Trollie ferrul lawd of 65 levels (retired)

Nunyabiz

actually his was probably quite a bit higher than 160 depending on what test he would take today.
BUT as i stated of the serveral test ive taken the only one i give much credence to was where i scored 142. which put me in the "Highly Gifted" catagory but also "Failed" to score high enough for Mensa.
and many of these test are nothing more than skewed "parses" of human intelligence.

Just like your little meaningless parses none are all that accurate.

and anyone taking these test of which there are many will get a spread of scores 20-30 points or more and even more differences depending on if the test is timed or not, on untimed test its common to have 20-30 point difference on the SAME test.

Of ones i remember were "Wechsler Scales" "Ravens Standard & Advanced Matrices" a funky one called "Culture Fair "
and "Cattell B"  

As for Einstein he never actually took an IQ test his IQ has only been "estimated" to be between 160-180+ and his real brillance of which ANY IQ test would completely miss was his amazing gift of Transcendental thinking which would easily bring him past 200 to Unmeasureable Genius.

Also IQ scores are exponential (meaning the difference between 110 and 115 is far less than the difference between 170 and 175).

Thus meaning the difference between ME and Einstein 140ish to bascially 200+Unmeasureable is ridiculously huge.

continue with your childish drivel your most entertaining.

Coprolith

http://www.psyonline.nl/en-iq.htm

It's wonderful how seamlessly this ties in with our earlier discussion. You see, the intelligence of individuals in a certain age group is just another statistical distribution, just like the distribution of hits and misses in EQ.

To put some actual numbers to intelligence, the average of the distribution is defined as an IQ of 100, and the standard deviation of the distribution is defined as 15 pts of IQ.

And that means only 0.25% of the population has an IQ of 142 or higher, only 23 out of 1000000 has an IQ of 161 or higher.

However, when you ask people how they perceive their own intelligence, 80% of 'em 'feels' they have above-average intelligence. That's the same kind of confirmation bias you are having about the effects of agility as you percieve it in game.

Measurement (i.e. parsing) beats feeling every time, and if you had an IQ of just 85 you'd had known that and we wouldnt be having this discussion in the first place. IQ of 142 indeed, braggart.
Elder Coprolith III

Nunyabiz

"Measurement (i.e. parsing) beats feeling every time"

He he, but of course its that skewed BS "parsing" that would place Einstein down in the 160 range because it can not measure what was his real gift 'Transcendental thinking".

You just simply dont get it, and you never will your thinking as good as you are with numbers is very one-dimensional, thus lacking.

Yes it is wonderful just how seemlessly this proves my point precisely.

and this is still simply all over the fact that i believe AGI is no more useless than any of the other stats, not in the least that I believe AGI is BETTER by any stretch, just minutely more valuable than you perceive it and you for some odd reason feel that is some kind of crime.

This whole thing is quite funny to me. your a riot

Ghoat

Why don't you two take it PM's?  Any civil discussion is long gone. It matters not now who is/was right anymore, it's personal.  I am not taking sides, but this is not longer about beastlords, it's about 2 people.  No reason for all of the rest of us to be involved, when PM's are an option.

Ghoat! The Relentless - Cazic Thule Server           Fat Troll

Phurbi

You could cut and paste this thread from the one at the old board when the same people argued the same thing :)

Summarized:

Corp:  It doesn't matter, here's numbers showing why
Nunya:  It does too matter, my feelings say so

Repeat 100 times.

Ever argue with a cat?
Phurbi - Feral Lord
Ten out of ten people die, so don't take life too seriously.

Coprolith

QuoteYou could cut and paste this thread from the one at the old board when the same people argued the same thing

And that's just the problem. This issue is a dead horse. The question of agility gets asked every few months. Rather then a quick definite answer 'no, agility does jack crap, minus jack, and we've known this for a long time', as is the case on every other class board, on the beastlord board we have to do damage control every time to prevent Nunyabizz spreading his beliefs among the newbies.
Invariably this results in a rant because the man just doesnt want to listen to reason, and a result of that, the thread gets ignored instead of discussed intelligently. The only way to solve this is by showing everyone just how insane Nunyabizz's views are, so that he gets ignored instead of the whole thread.
Going to PMs isnt the answers, everybody needs to be able to see his ravings. Listen to him: dozens of parses are skewed and get it all wrong but his perceptions are not? The man doesn't have the slightest clue what he's talking about. He doesn't know what parsing is, he doesn't know how a RNG works, he doesn't even know precisely what avoidance and mitigation are, yet that doesn't prevent him from entering the discussion and denying everything outright.

So to get back on topic:

Perhaps Nunyabizz with his monster IQ would like to explain exactly why and where the parses are skewed. Should be good laugh.
Elder Coprolith III

Thrashum Gud

The "winner" in a rant is NOT the one who gets the last word or the parting shot...

it's the one who is smart enough to shut the fuck up and leave the dead horse the hell alone.

I don't see ANY smart people in this rant yet, but I just became one.

Whiptail_Warclaw

On parsing:
EQ is game for me, that I enjoy. Talk of parsing and such, is sounding more like EQ is a job. I'll quit, the day EQ becomes a job.

I try and max all my Stats and Resists, I try and obtain better weapons and armour, because it may and probably will make my character a little better. But not for one minute am I going to go out of my way and choose between two items, because my guild/group or anyone tells me I have to have a certain item because it parses better. I'll use the one I like the best.

Honestly I don't care about any parsing. I play my character well, with the equipment I have. I follow directions, I know how to /assist and such. I'm a good player with decent equipment who plays for the enjoyment of EQ, not because it's turned into a job.
If you want to use parsing, that is upto you and more power to you. For me, I'm just going to play and take things as they come...

As for the AGI debate:
More is better than less, as far as I'm concerned. Same for all my Stats and Resists. Get them all maxed.

Simple as that.
Baron Whiptail "Mr Whippy" Warclaw
Iksar Savage Lord of 62 seasons.
Drinal server.
- Created: October 09, 2003.
Bringing ice-cream to the people of Norrath for the last 62 seasons...

"The only thing worse than one Beastlord, is six Beastlords, in a group, in the same zone as you... We'll try and leave you a few mobs."

Grbage

Found this on TSW, thought it fitted in along with how this thread has been going:

Tests are tests. Parses are parses. Opinions are opinions and they all smell like...
Grbage Heep
85 Beast of Torv

Nunyabiz

showing everyone just how insane Nunyabizz's views are

LOL im insane because i think the 5-7% extra avoidance that YOU say i get is worth having ROTFL.
And mainly because it will be maxed no matter what i do unless i actively avoid it LOL

HAHAHA   Gotcha  :wink:

You know i used to have some minor respect for you, now you seem to be just a freak with a burr up yer arse.
I really have no idea why your so bent on the fact that i see some value in that 5-7% extra avoidance, bout the same as the few % improvement i get with Dex/Str/Sta etc....

Think maybe you might need to take a break from parsing its obviously affected your brain, try just playing the game for awhile you might enjoy it.

Coprolith

*sigh*

5% extra avoidance is always worth having, just not at the expense of hundreds of raw HPs, AC, STR, STA, WIS and resists which is what it will cost most people to cap their AGI. Have you been paying attention at all?

Repeat after me and read slowly: the effect of AGI doesn't justify sacrificing your other stats for.
Got it? Does it say anywhere that adding AGI is detrimental? Or does it say that adding AGI at the expense of your other stats is detrimental?

I think this must've been the 10th time i said this in this thread and *you still don't get it*. You don't advise people to cap their AGI while they still got plenty of room to improve their other stats. It isnt about what AGI does for you, its about the proven effect that your other stats will do more for you then AGI and take far less effort to cap out.  

Now learn to read and start answering the real questions with real answers. Don't bother with your "proof-by-shouting-the-loudest"-method.
- Do you or do you not deny that the effect of agility doesn't justify sacrificing your other stats for?
- Do you or do you not deny the results from parses and if you do deny them, what evidence do you have other then your feelings?

Until you can answers these questions with 142 IQ answers, i don't want to hear another word from you. Im subtracting one point from your supposed IQ for every time you dodge these questions. You're already down to a 100.
Elder Coprolith III

Nunyabiz

I fail to see the point in answering all this for OH the 20th time, your too freaking  hard headed to comprehend what im saying.
your way to busy trying to make shit up that im not saying nor inferring.

You can answer them for yourself by going back to several of my previous post where i have repeatedly answered all those clearly.

Im not going to keep repeating myself anymore

and im not the one shouting

Im growing tired of trying to teach a dog to read, its pointless.

Your obviously incapable of understanding anything im saying if you want to continue this farce stop being an ass and act civil.

Myself as ive said numerous times I sacraficed NOTHING to cap my AGI because as a Beastlord if you raise your AC & HPs your AGI follows.
Can clearly see that with Grymloks megelo where he tried to cap his AC/Hps/Atk yet notice what is his 2nd highest stat. AGI

He didnt sacrafice anything to get high AGI,
i believe ive gotten about 60+AC from the AGI ive added to my char so yeah im perfectly satisfied with the virtually free 5-7% extra avoidance and 60+AC.
I concentrated on what actually makes a real difference anyway which was leveling and my AAs.

Ghoat

Last night while running to the fridge for a beer & trying not to die in PoE, I rounded the corner & almost ran over my 5 year old.  I slipped past her, and didnt spill any beer, that is what agility is good for!

For fuck sake, lock this thread :(

Ghoat! The Relentless - Cazic Thule Server           Fat Troll