Main Menu

Ebay. Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Started by Kherash, August 11, 2004, 03:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kherash

I'm bored. Sooooo... I'm wondering what people think about "ebayed" toons and such. Hate? Don't care? Don't mind? Feel free to lash out. This is the sewers.  :wink:
Kejah
75 Vah Shirl Beastlord
Prexus
SpiritWalker Guild

Chance favors the prepared mind.
Louis Pasteur

JillieMT

I don't care. There are plenty of non-ebay'ed idiots out there anyways.  :)
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

Tardar

I personally don't care what someone chooses to do with their toon, or how they choose to play the game.  The ebayer will stick out like a sore thumb most of the time, and can be avoided after that.  I had a Bst the other day that had his epic ask me how to get to Fungus Grove.

We just had a guy app to our guild, who had posted on our server forum, begging for flags, just withdraw his app.  He is a guild app hopper, assuming he wants to get Time flagged so he can sell his toon.  That kind of crap pisses me off, but I also realize we can't stop it.  Luckily we were smart enough to give this guy plenty of time and rope, and sure enough he hung himself.  Good riddance of course!!

I try not to judge others, and this game is different things to different people.  If selling or buying a toon is what makes you happy, then go for it, just as long as you aren't hurting people.

Giledorm

I'll sort of echo Tardar here.  It's your 12 bucks a month, so you do with it what you will.  If you want to skip to the end and ebay a toon, fine.  It's the jacka**es who mess up everyone ELSES time that get under my skin.  At least have the common courtesy to learn the basics of the class before you jump in with groups.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=395485&resize=true target=_blank>http://www.thirds.org/moose/newsig.jpg border=0>

ghostryder

I guess whether or not "Mr. Ebay" is an annoying pest or not seems to center on the motivation of the purchaser.

If someone buys a druid simply to have port and travel or a good 2 box candidate I'm not that bothered by it. It beats having to PL one up when you finally get that second machine you've been saving for to 2 box.

However if your buying a Ebay toon for a main where you intend to raid and group with then you need to be tar and feathered because you never took the time to learn to play one properly, and your ignorance will cause others grief.

Worse, your 12 years old and that Ebay money is looking like a great way to have income- and you've got a lot of great short-cuts figured out, all dependant on riding the backs of others, to get properly flagged to up the value of the basement bargain toon you just purchased.

To the average player who has spent years with his toon the money he can make on ebay doesn't seem to amount to all that much concidering the time investment involved, but heck, it's a few extra bucks that'll recoup some of the investment.

bugman

ive met just as many people that've aquired toons through ebay or other sales means that were way more competent then the original owner as i have idiots that it was the opposite case. the ebayed idiots seem to stick out more, as everyone usually knows upfront they're ebayed and watches them like a hawk, but in the end i believe it comes down to the persona behind the screen and just because you've leveled up your own toon doesnt mean at some point you didnt ebay your brain.
~Bugman - Venril Sathir

Dasquid

The only people I know that bought someone else's account have all been morons. There may be exceptions to that, but I havent met any. Sad really, one was considered one of the best monks on the server, ebayed and was purchased by someone with virtually no skill. Also had three different people in the guild I was in be "given" accounts, only to have the original user take the account back once it was elemental flagged and gotten some nice loot.

Dummkopf

Several of my friends got other characters from other friends and most of them were very able to play them good. For example a pally friend who was one of the best on the server ebayed his pally over GoD and now got a time capable bst from another friend and guess what? He plays him way better than most bsts i meet elsewhere, and if he has questions he is not afraid to ask ppl who know more about the class. Never leveled a bst before and still rocks, EQ is a very easy game and if you play it long enough you can play nearly every class within a very short period of training.

BloodCelt

I'll be honest.  I dont like it.  It's lazy and easy.   That said, its also pretty much reached the point where half the folks you are playing with are ebayed/gifted toons that are not played by their origional owner.

So I accept that its there, but I don't have to like it.

BC
[FONT COLOR=yellow]
Ironcelt McClain - Feral Lord - <The Mercenary Syndicate> The Rathe Server

Doohickey

If someone is buying an EBay toon to save them the trouble of leveling up that second account, I have no problem with it. Hopefully, they will take time to learn the class specific stuff, but at least they already know the game.

Buying an EBay toon as your first and only char? Stupid beyond belief.

I would never personally buy an EBay toon...just because I have no gaurantee that the original owner won't reclaim it.

My third account, however, was given to me by a guildie who left the game. I doubt he will ever come back, and he has already said that if he did, he would just start fresh...but if he decided he wanted his account back, I would be the first to welcome him back to the game. He could keep all the new gear and toons I added to make up for the large sums of money he left, and gear that I sold (Heck, most of the new stuff came as a result of it).

It would piss me off no end, though, to have payed for an account and watch it get taken away with no recourse.

Kashmiir Battlekat

I have no problem with anyone selling there character.

I have no problem with someone buying the character.

The only time I really have an issue is if the Buyer is completely unaware of the end game of Everquest and has little to no knowledge on what is expected of his/her class.

There are, face it, a ton of really good players who have purchased there character, but chances are the individual has already played EQ and has gotten to a 'reasonable' level on there own.

Then you have your "I have too much money and not enough time" eBay buyer... these are the ones to completely avoid... at all costs.

My 2 cents.

Grymlok

Amen, Kash.

When it comes down to it, its not about the toon, its about the person driving it.

The Berserker: Foecussed

Thurman

Ooh good topic.  Maybe I'm just a bitter little man but I can't help but be bugged by it a little.  I know it SHOULDN'T bother me, but it does.  I feel like I've had to earn the levels I have, and have had to play my character a lot to be good at it.  Same goes for platinum and gear buying off of Yantis and similar sites.  But I know it's their money and they can do what they want with it.

Mneumenth

/shrug

As I've said before.  Its their dime, their time.  If they suck I just /leave group.

/salute
Mneumenth
"When you absolutely, positively have to kill every motherf@#$er in the room...Accept no substitute."

Hrann

I'd rather it wasn't possible to do, but since it is and there's nothing I can do about it I live with it.  I'm with Bloodcelt on this one.