Main Menu

What buffs for pets? (58 and up)

Started by Purrfekshun, June 28, 2004, 04:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purrfekshun

I am curious if I am wasting more mana than I should be.  At 58, I always have haste and proc on my pet (SoF and Omakin's atm).  I put strength and dex on him as well.  When he is going to be taking a lot of damage, I usually have shielding, Talisman, Spiritual, and regen on him.  I have read the thread on the affects of spiritual, so having this on is usually mainly for the extra hps.  SoW if needed when applicable.  Does this sound about right?  Once I get Sha's Ferocity, is strength necessary anymore?  Does IoS eliminate the need for dex?  Or am I overbuffing him as it is?  I don't have much problems keeping these buffs on him (8 or 9), but the start up time for me to get ready is a pain in groups, so any time savings would be a good thing.  Thanks for your help.
Purrfekshun Purrsonifyd
65 Feral Lady
The Nameless

Tastian

My pet get's infusion + rellic + arag's and vigor usually (it hits them so they get to keep it).  

Usually I just go with haste + proc buff + dex buff.  Once you get infusion that will cover the dex portion.  Before then I used the straight dex buff.  If you want the extra hps on your pet then spiritual + talisman work well, but pet doesn't gain from stamina buffs.  I sow the pet as needed as well, but that is situational.  

One thing you might want to do is just stagger buffs a little bit.  For instance when I zone into an LDoN I've got pet haste and pet summon ready with focus effect in hand.  Cast pet, drop haste, mem infusion + rellic then buff as we go.  Pet is fully buffed a mob or two  into the dungeon.  You are still doing some damage because you are sending your pet and can still be melee'n/slowing.  If you are just getting started in a group I'd add the defensive buffs to pet after the offensive ones unless you plan to have them tank.

Giledorm

Usually takes me a minute or 2 once I get into pet prep mode:

Summon scrappy, then
IoS
Dex
Kragg
Spirtual Str (I don't have pet affinty for SV yet)
SoW (SoShrew if inside)
Haste
Proc

Most times the cleric in the group will V the pup too.  Then, hit Suspend and do it all over again.  

Takes a few extra minutes, but to have a solid offtank when the shyte hits the fan is comforting.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=395485&resize=true target=_blank>http://www.thirds.org/moose/newsig.jpg border=0>

a_moss_snake_001

I tend to go the whole hog when it comes to pet buffs:-

- Arags Celerity
- SoRellic
- IoS
- Furious Strength
- Spiritual Vigor (used to use Spiritual Strength)
- SoW/Shrew
- Shrink

If I think there will be -any- chance at all of my pet tanking or taking hits I also throw in:-

- Talisman of Kragg
- Shifting Shield
- Regrowth
- Spiritual Dominion (yes I have Pet Affinity)

If soloing/duoing in GoD or on raids I may also throw Ferocity and other resistance buffs on him.

My pets survival is very important to me. If he is alive he is doing damage which means mobs die faster and he can protect me if I need him to. My pet alone can significantly outdamage many warriors, knights and rangers (especially on VT raids which my guild does a lot). This is going off the "total damage" figure in my parses (DPS doesn't mean SHIT to me).

A fully buffed warder tanks significantly better than one who just has Arags + Rellic + IoS.

For speed purposes I will sometimes start off with the essential trio but then fill in the other buffs whenever I catch a few seconds of downtime.

DontPetBear

Quote from: a_moss_snake_001

If soloing/duoing in GoD or on raids I may also throw Ferocity and other resistance buffs on him.

I thought Pets took our resists.  So throwing any resist spells on them would be a waste of mana.  Although maybe the atk helps a little from Ferocity.

I tend to go all out on buffing my Pet too.  Some fast Ldon groups will be on their 3rd mob before i can get him fully buffed.  Other groups that have seen my warder at work usually wait till i'm fully ready before they start pulling.  Only buff i don't cast is the AC shield one.  I have a proc for myself (if no V) so never really memmed it before.
Dgam - 70 - Beastlord

a_moss_snake_001

QuoteI thought Pets took our resists. So throwing any resist spells on them would be a waste of mana.

So did I until recently. However my own findings and suspicions then reading this thread convinced me that resistance buffs on pets DO make a difference.

Apparently pets have either their own value or the owners UNBUFFED value, whichever is highest. Thus casting Fero on yourself have NO affect on the pets resistances -- you have to cast Fero on it also.

Oneiromancer

While the +ATK from Ferocity does increase pet dps, it wasn't as large of an increase as on the average player, so it's not really worth it on those merits (and STA doesn't increase pet HP).  I don't remember where the parses are, but I remember those results.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Purrfekshun

Sounds like I am pretty much on track then.  Thanks guys...  :)

and ding 59... :D
Purrfekshun Purrsonifyd
65 Feral Lady
The Nameless

Namog

Also..as you progress look into Pet Affinity...you wont be dissapointed, especially if you raid. And with zoning pets implemented tomorrow, the fun keeps getting better.

http://ourworld.cs.com/NamogBst/Namog1.JPG">
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=897801">Namog

Leatherneck

I generally just go with <Summon> <Proc Buff> <Arag's> <Prot of Calliav (If on an AE type raid, or something like PoTime VZ)> <Fero (If not raiding)>.  However, come the patch tomorrow, I'll prolly add to it, especially on LDoNs and such.

JillieMT

If I am solo and playing pet cleric, I load em up with everything I have.

Otherwise, I just go with the usual pet buff (Sha's for now, I don't have Arag's yet), proc, IoS and Dex.
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio