Main Menu

HHD Question

Started by Jikaabx, November 12, 2004, 08:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jikaabx

A few months ago, I had to take my computer in for repairs, and they said, the HDD was gonna crash eventually, well, last night.. everything started going really slow, then it froze, shut down, and won't go past the windows loading screen... any ideas what happened?

Jikaabx

Hmmmmm ok, nobody offered any help...   :|

Burrix

Guess it crashed...

You can tell if there's a large chance a harddisk is gonna crash when you notice the appaerance of more Bad Blocks and sometimes strange noices.

If it "crashed" you can sometimes recover / copy data to another harddisk depending on the type of crash.

GLuck there
Burrix <Infectus> - Lvl 65 Beastlord on Valon Zek

avsfanboi

what did it do after it got to the windows loading screen?  Did it go black? did you get a blue screen with a bunch of crap? What exactly did it do?
when booting up did you hear any beeps? or saw post codes on the bios page?

Jikaabx

It just kept restarting itself, over and over, kinda like a death bind loop lol

Edit:  There was a really loud whine for awhile, could hear it all the way out in the living room.

Jzath

First time visiting this forum....

If you heard a loud whine it can only be a few things, a fan, your power supply or your HDD.

Based on what you have said, your HDD is gone.  When mine died, I had a back up of my checkbook and fortuneately I had copied all important stuff to a new computer.  Bought a new HDD and not willing to pay to have some place open the crashed one to recover the data, so reloaded everything.

hmm...I bought a copy of Ghost to start backing up data to a new HDD after tha crash.  It is still shrinkwrapped :(

*copies more files to his 512mg flash drive*
Jzath, beastlord
70 bloodmoons
FV server
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1215044

Jikaabx

Yea, I figured it crashed, but I wanted a couple of opinions, so I went out got a new HDD,  its installed... but no XP disk to get it up and going again... :cry:

Jkal_Shihar

Just saw this post and mine did the exact same thing yesterday.
Was playing and game froze had to hard boot and it just keeps loading to the motherboards diagnostic. Open the comp up, fans still working but hard drive totally dead.
Bad thing is, my other comp is totally dead and was in process of getting prices to start building anew one to replace it.
Murphy's law though, never talk bout computer problems while playing  :cry:
Animist Jkal Shi`har and tigger
Arch Animist of the Tribunal Server
My Magelo
*still my main since dec. 2001*

Grolyn

Generally when there's strange noise I check it out as soon as possible.  More often than not it's a cheap fan about to die but if it's really loud noise it's mor elikely to be the HD.  I had one hard drive that was squealing so loud I had a police come to my place to investigate noise disturbance.  :-o