Main Menu

How to decrease our spam

Started by NoxCruor, February 21, 2004, 04:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoxCruor

I was reading the Newbie Zone when I found this post.  I got to wondering, how, pre /pet hold + /pet back off, do you decrease the amount of spam given to the other players?

Usually, if I've only been hit once, I tend to hit the /pet back off key twice just to be on the safe side.  I don't tend to do it more than that as a courtesy to other players.  I'd like to know how all of you did it or are currently decreasing spammage.
Khillarri
Dark Beastlord Outcast of Shar Vahl
Sworn Protector of the Nox`Cruor Clan
~Hidden within the night, we follow our Prey.  Surrounded by the darkness we seek our retribution.  Over the centuries, you came for us and sought our destruction after learning the truth.  Now, we come for you and seek your death after centuries of torture.~  Orionus Nox`Cruor

DiosT

If my pet does something naughty, /pet get lost hotkey...

I dont spam raids, or groups even.. if the pet wasn't doing what it should do, the pet died on the spot... I wasn't going to play tug of war with my pet ;-)

Tastian

Before pet hold having any kind of timing works too.  It's like the button mashers you see playing certain video games.  Unless the pet has 4 unslowed mobs on them you don't need to hit /pet back off 4,000 times a second.  I Used to have people surprised at how well my pet listened for the amount of spam.  I see a mob casting I don't spam right through, one click just as spell is landing, done, pet hardly moves.  Hold helps a lot though in many ways.  Raid wise I was always like Diost though.  I'd just /pet get lost and then make a new one if it came down to it.  Rather re-make a pet than rez a person or something.

DiosT

with bad pathing you gotta hit it a buncha times, otherwise the pet paths incorrectly, is hit, basically didnt move, so you hit it again right after, same effect..

result is the pet never backs off til it dies...

that's really where the 'button mashing' started... and on raids, you dont want the pet sitting out there delaying the mob too long, and some are reluctant to kill their pet...

Bryc

If you SOW a pet, it backs off much more quickly. Its basically what DiosT said, except the pet is fast enough to run out of melee range before getting hit again.

If you put a pet on /follow, it backs off much faster than if on /guard. No idea why.

I don't worry about the spam too much though. It's no worse than

Joe winces (grinding noise)

:D
Bryc ~ 65 Feral Lord of Fennin Ro
Barid ~ 59 Templar
Bric ~ 60 Heirophant (ret.)