Main Menu

PC suggestions

Started by Yamori, October 12, 2005, 11:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yamori

I'm looking to get a 2nd PC to box another toon with, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on what specs to look for.

I'm a cheapskate so I really don't want to pay much, I just want something that loads/zones at a reasonable pace,  doesn't crash or lag out from being overloaded, and doesn't make basic movement a chore due to freeze ups.

danke~^^

Araden

Just get a PC with at least 512mb of ram, and a 64mb video card.  That should be cheap enough to play EQ without a problem, if you turn off sound and turn down the video options, use old characters models etc.

My current PC cost me 800 and it's a relatively new Dell 3.0 ghrz with 1gig of ram and a 128mb radeon vid card with a PCI 16 express bus, or whatever it is (not very computer literate).  It works absolutely great for me personally.  My old puter cost me only about 700 with the 1gig ram and it was a 2.4 with a 128mb agp8x nvidea geforce fx5200 vid card.  worked ok at 512 ram but when i upgraded to 1gig ram it went from ok to perfect for lag, such as bazaar or pok.

My really old puter barely played EQ lol, it was an athlon 700mhrz with 256mb ram and a generic 32mb video card.  I ditched it when OOW came out,  it did OK with all optiones turned down, until OOW hehe.  Even then it still worked, just would often lag out when traveling, which was a pain in the rear.

Sorien

Yeah, ram and a nice video card is really all you have to worry about.

One of my computers only has a 600MHZ CPU and it runs EQ pretty nice with all new models turned on.  Of course I have a nice Video Card with 256 MB of memory and 756MB of regular Memory.