Main Menu

Which weapon in which slot

Started by Adruger, September 13, 2007, 03:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adruger

I have 2 weapons.  30/21 (pri) 43/23 (sec) is current setup, is this the best dps setup?

Nusa

Not enough info. You can't evaluate weapons without knowing the procs they have.

Adruger

Only the 43/23 has a proc a 175 Freezing Strike.

Nusa

In that case it's a no-brainer. Swap hands until you get a weapon upgrade. The slight speed advantage of the faster weapon is not enough to overcome the much better ratio of your epic. On top of that, that proc will go off more in your main hand.

Adruger

Well for once I got an upgrade through a patch, so now my weapons with augs are 34/18 and 43/23 both with freezing strike 4 on them.  Should I put the epic back into my secondary slot?

Maylian

I'm guessing that you're using Icedancer and Epic 2. Personally I would go with Icedancer in primary for the faster delay, although I'm pretty certain that its 19dly as I was considering using it over Tonfa. Then hope you get lucky on a brumals dropping...currently we're 16 and 0 on Wulfnor  :?

Adruger

Yes I have the icedancer, and the piercing aug from FC, and epic 2.0 with verdant and mossy in it.  We have gotten 7 (in 32 raids) Brumal's so far, but they are massively expensive DKPwise.  So far they have gone like this

Monk 1 (2nd for him)
Beast 2
Monk 4
Monk 3
Beast 1
Monk 2
Monk 1

Avg price paid by monks is 215, by beastlords is 362, whenever a beastlord bids for it, the monks jack it up as much as they can.  So I have been waiting so far, I could have won one of them if i would have bid 425, but that represents more than 6 weeks worth of raiding for me, so I decided to wait a bit.

Maylian

Currently having a bet with our monks that Talons will drop from Solteris 4 before Bumals do. Odds certainly seem to be with me, considering we only had our first Sekv drop last week so 16 / 1 for that. Actually looking at it with the new dagger changes it is probably worth trying to get Throatslitter if available since ratio wise its not bad, especially if its cheap.

Humlaine

use the lower delay in off hand, epic main hand , you will benifit more from the faster weapons in your off hand greater then main hand.-

maxawesome

Do a search for the Beastlord DPS calc. That thing has helped me make that close decision many times. I know it isn't 100% accurate, but I think it's as close as we'll get to fully calci'ng the formula for weapon DPS.

As a general rule though, when the ratios are close, I think it is always favorable to throw the weapon with "better" procs (lifetap, resist mods, stun effects, atk/ac debuff and so on) in primary, because that has a noticeable impact on proc rate.

AFAIK, so long as your offhand delay is less than the periodic Dual Wield check, it shouldn't matter tremendously what the delay is in offhand. I still tend to favor lower delay in primary, even after we get double attack skill and with mods and aa for double atk, but ultimately it is a ratio thing, and for factoring in proc, that's when I use the DPS calc.

Khauruk

Quote from: maxawesome on November 02, 2007, 11:36:39 PM
AFAIK, so long as your offhand delay is less than the periodic Dual Wield check, it shouldn't matter tremendously what the delay is in offhand. I still tend to favor lower delay in primary, even after we get double attack skill and with mods and aa for double atk, but ultimately it is a ratio thing, and for factoring in proc, that's when I use the DPS calc.

For anybody just starting to use the DPS calc, be aware that was last updated when beastlords maxed out at a much lower level of double attack (iirc 30%).  So, it will favor proc-based dps much more heavily for mainhand than current reality.

As far as the quoted part about the offhand dual weild check - that may have been a part of old game mechanics, I don't know.  But, it definitely doesn't exist currently - delay matters offhand as well.  But, because offhand damage bonus is calculated differently (and requires an AA to have at all), it is less important than mainhand.

It does end up being primarily a ratio things, aye...if ratios are almost identical, faster in mainhand to get more occurences of the damage bonus.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Kanan

It's not been updated since before we could hit level 75 and had innate double attack.

I'd love for someone to update it, since it was a tool I used a ton.  Hell, I'd just play with it at times for fun ;p

http://forums.beastlords.org/index.php?topic=5369.msg81524#msg81524 is the last post on its thread, with link over to Copro's spreadsheet as well.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

maxawesome

I tried to get the source for a while, but the person who owned it (can't remember who) kinda blew a fuse and I don't think they've been back to the forum since.

I'd be interested in picking it back up, and happy to maintain the code, but I'm not sure exactly as to the logic behind the calculations, nor where to go to get that info.

Kanan

if you're interested in some of the theoretical stuff Max, here's a thread that Gam pointed me towards (asked him and he's not interested in messing with it over his parser) that might be able to get you started on some of the stuff needed. http://www.monkly-business.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16555

Hopefully it can be picked back up.  I honestly wonder why no other classes have attempted it.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar