Main Menu

Soloing HS?

Started by Yiktiki, July 27, 2004, 10:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yiktiki

Now that we can drag our pet in with us, is anyone soloing Howling Stones?  You can pop in, take out those entry undead and breathe before continuing, right?

Honestly, I have never actually zoned in, always spent time in the easiest zones to get XP, but now that I am more casual, I'm wondering how viable it is for soloing (or duoing once I make the Druid be 65.)  There is some nice stuff in there (ie. fun for twinks) that I wouldn't mind collecting.  How viable is it now?
Starlighte - Tauren Druid - Level 70
Misscreant - Blood Elf Warlock - Level 70
Kilrogg Server

RETIRED
Elder Yiktiki Tumbo - Feral Lord
Starlighte Starbrighte - Pocket Druid
Luclin Server

Eatbugs

It was pretty viable solo even before the pet change.  The entry mobs were never a problem even without a pet, as they're pretty low level.   There's a good guide to spawn points (with a very nice map) and loot tables at http://cloud.prohosting.com/~talone/Charasis.htm.

Once you get past the first two wings, you'll often be fighting two or three mobs at once (although nothing hits for that much by PoP or GoD standards) so be prepared for that and for runners.  The only time I ever actually died in HS at 65 was when I took a couple of friends along with me - a level 54 will aggro a LOT of mobs at once in the wrong part of the South wing, I discovered...
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal

Hereki

The map (which is very good) is for the old version of Charasis.  Mobs and drops and locations have been revised a couple of times since then, but it is still remarkably accurate.

The two entrance mobs may not aggro on you if you don't move, and even if they do, they are likely to both be green (or maybe one light blue).

Anywhere apart from the east wing you should have no trouble fighting two or three at once, and will almost always be able to single pull.  In the east wing, mobs are a little higher, and there are a few spots where a 4 pull is likely if you aren't paying enough attention, which will be annoying if they are all SKs and you aren't full health and mana already.

The point about low level aggro is a good one, I have been caught by that myself :).  Duo with a druid or cleric and the whole thing is easy and fun.

Catgal

The entrance mobs will and always aggro to me 100% of time I zone in even not moving (and if they are up of course). They hits for only 100'ish. So... not much a risk unless you are CR'ing =).

Rumtum Tugger

I love Howling Stones.  A few points of interest.  If you are leveling up a druid to duo with I would say the North and West wing will be your bread and butter.  The mobs are Green and Lt BLue so the low druid in the group will be making HUGE experience.  I bring mid fifties with me from time to time and they marvel at the experience they get.  Once the druid catches up you can move to the South wing.  The East wing still gives me troubles, but then I am not a raiding beast and I have not so great equipment.  My solution was to bring a 65 pally with me and we can take even Drusella (sp).
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=732264" target="_blank" class="postlink">Rumtum Tugger
65 Beast
Lanys
"Back.  Back off.  Gah, you stupid cat, where are you going? ..... TRAIN!"

Taiglin

You should have no problems with HS. I started coming here at ~54 with same level druid bot before the pet zoning change. The only real hump to get over is like 57ish otherwise when you pull the golems at the door to each wing you would get both. Once past that you can single pull the 4 entry skells just past the wing door by breaking LOS. Think I was able to do that consistantly at 55. North should be a breaze for you as at 59 it was ~40% lt blue.

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]

Umok

Walked out of HS two boxing 65 druid.  We pulled and killed everything in the zone and clicked on the zone out at end.

There are a couple fun spots in East Wing where it got a little hairy, but nothing you can't handle.  3 or 4 mobs at a time if you aren't careful, but still doable.  

I had a blast, and ton of loot to turn into Tribute Master at end.  Druid is LDoN/No Elemental gear, my Beastlord is some Ele/mostly LDoN type gear.

Oneiromancer

Isn't there a mob for the new VP quest that spawns in HS now?  I heard that these were pretty nasty with AEs, any more information on them?

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Chakkorisi

QuoteIsn't there a mob for the new VP quest that spawns in HS now?

I don't think so.  What you might be thinking of is the new drop needed out of HS.  It is Esscense of Howling Stones and it is a rare drop off of any mob I believe.

Chakk

Oneiromancer

I have definitely read about mobs in Chardok and Sebilis that spawn, which drop the items for the quest.  I wasn't sure about the item in HS.  The post is in the Campfire board somewhere...

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Kroe

The Essence of Howling Stones (for the new VP entrance quest) is a  rare random drop from any of the hexbone skeletons in HS (whereas the corresponding Essence of Chardok and Essence of Old Sebilis drop from the Echo of Chardok and Echo of Old Sebilis respectively.

Hexbones are mostly found in the south and east wings and it took more than a few to get the one Essence drop i've seen.  HS is a nice quiet diversion mostly, low hp mobs, good tribute loot and the xp in south and moreso east is ok.

Wreckers - Bertoxxulous - Saryrn

Liga

Ive done the new VP key quest and camped the HS essence twice(for me and a guild shaman).  First one dropped in first hour, next one didnt drop for like 5 or 6.  Only dropped from Hexbone Skeletons.

danaconda

I have a 3 box group of nec 54/ bst 51/ clr 42 and was wondering if that trio could fight in HS effectively. I am pretty sure I remember hearing of necros who solo'd the entrance at 54 then moved in, but that was pre-revamp.

Anyone think my 3 box would survive here? And if so, any chance at some "decent" loot?

PS. I know this is the 65 forum, but this topic isn't in any lower ones that I've seen. And also I figure if a 65 could easily solo it that maybe a low 50's 3 box could also.
Dedlee Beatdown retired
Troll Beastlord of Lanys T'Vyl
(moved onto WoW - Mannoroth server, same name)

Taiglin

Fer sure you can do North Wing. Named have a goodly number of HPs but with that group you should be find. West Wing might be a challenge but then you have to kill the North Wing boss to get there anyway (barring you getting a master key or someone letting you in). By the by, plan on giving the wing keys to an unused bot and then kill him to keep the no rent key around.

Also, when you zone in you will get double pulls on the golums by each of the locked wing doors but shouldn't be a problem. Might be able to paci with the Cleric but am not familiar with level limits on that line of spells. Probably could get away with casting root on one, other will come and give you enough lead time to handle the original rooted mob when it breaks. Is how I did it with my 54 Bst/Dru combo at the time.

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]

Hereki

I think it would be rather tough with such a low cleric; I'd look for all characters to be in their 50s to avoid adds.

On zone in, there are 2 mobs, usually one green and one light blue to 65 (which probably means they are level 45+/- a couple).  Golems are usually light blue (45-49).

Cleric gets pacify at 39, with a level cap of, I think, 55.  Enough for pretty much the whole zone.