Main Menu

Veksar - Question about Rotting Shopkeeper

Started by Svafnir, November 23, 2004, 07:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Svafnir

I soloed my way into the Rotting Shopkeeper's room in Veksar yesterday to try and camp the soulscream belt.  Then I proceeded to pull all four mobs in the room (the Shopkeeper wasn't up), and had to use a gate potion to escape.  Does anybody know if this room can be single-pulled, or at least double-pulled?  If so, any idea how?  I would love to have a game plan before I try it again.  Thanks in advance.
Svafnir Winterfury
Feral Lord of Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio
MT Server

Tardar

Svafnir

I don't have pet hold AA yet.  So, I don't think that I can pet pull.  Correct?
Svafnir Winterfury
MT Server

Tardar

Terrya Anuuazz

Here's my technique for doing this camp and you can get the other named there in the process, or you can skip it.

1.  If you can get to the rotting shopkeeper, you should already know you need to use an IVU potion, go through the shop, up the stairs, all the way to the top floor.  This is your camp.  It is a safe area to afk, log, camp sit and do nothing for hours unless you are trained.  Pull all mobs to there.

2.  Pet pull from the top, I won't go into details on pet pulling since there are so many good threads on it here.  But long story short, summon a lower level pet and you can single pull the rooms.

3.  There are 3 mobs on the 2nd floor, the wraith behind the stones is the PH there, you could get away with not pulling him, but I don't like to take chances that he will add on a bad pathing pull.

4.  Now that you have the 2nd floor clear, you can go down to the shopkeepers room.  Pet pull the shopkeeper or his PH and kill, then proceed to rinse and repeat for the other 3 in that room.

5.  Once you get all the spawns broken, you will have a good cycle to run and can adjust your pulls to fit your kill rate.  If you are clearing the entire shop before respawns, you can add one or more golems from outside.  I normally clear the named golem or PH with my cycle when i do that camp.  That gives you 3 named PH spawns with very little downtime in between, if your kill rate isn't that fast, you can still keep up with your spawns by cutting short your pulls, just time your pulls so you know when the first one you killed will be popping, I think it was between 15 to 20 min respawn for those guys, but I haven't been there in a while, so don't quote me on that.

6.  Finally, with enough time and patience, you will have your very own soulscream belt, be prepared to get lots and lots of shields before you see the belt though.

Good Luck
Terrya Anuuazz
Level 70 Wildblood
The Tribunal

Terrya Anuuazz

Do you have suspend minion?

If you do have suspend minion, you could still spam /pet backoff and you should still be able to pull it off.  If you have niether, then I would suggest bringing a friend that can pacify to help you with the initial break.  Once it's broken, it's pretty easy to maintain as long as you don't fall behind.
Terrya Anuuazz
Level 70 Wildblood
The Tribunal

Svafnir

Thanks.  That is a great post and alot of help.  Sounds like I will be waiting to get pet hold before trying that camp again.  (Back to GE).  :roll:
Svafnir Winterfury
MT Server

Svafnir

By the way, in anticipation of trying this out as soon as I get my pet hold, what pet do you all use to pull with?  I know this is probably discussed in some other thread, but I'm lazy, what can I say. :P
Svafnir Winterfury
MT Server

Terrya Anuuazz

For a basic education on pet pulling, I'll give you some background info.

Which pet you use is important because using too low of a level pet means that you risk the pet dying before what you are pulling is clear of the other mobs you are trying to pull it from.  Example: you don't want to use the level 9 pet becuase he does not have enough HP's to survive a few hits from anything that you would be getting experience from.  If the pet dies while the mob is within agro radius of his buddies, his agro changes to you and all of his buddies agro will change to you.

The pet I use the most often is the level 56 pet.  For most areas that are soloable, that one seems to work well since he has enough HP's that he doesn't get beat down before mobs are cleared from their buddies, yet he is still green to the mobs that I'm pulling.

For some situations, most notably pulling for a group in a hard LDON, I have to use a higher level pet so he doesn't get 1 rounded on the pull.  I've used the level 60 pet on hard LDON's before and in places with higher level mobs.  He has enough HP's, and if he needs more you can always self buff him to give him some extras... don't forget SoW or Shrew if you are in a dungeon.  If I'm soloing, I don't normally use the level 60 pet, since his level is higher, most of the BL soloable mobs are Dark Blues, and the level 60 pet's level is 47 so he will be DB to mob's you would solo.  Depending on what level the mobs are that you are pulling, will depend on which pet you can use.  It's an art form that you need to play with, but once you balance the pets level for the pull versus the Hitpoints it has to withstand the pull, you'll have it down with no problem.  Don't try pet pulling with your 62 or above warder.  The 62 warder gets a major level jump and is level 60, so he's likely to be DB to anything you'd be inclined to pull.  you may be able to use that one to pull a level 80 mob, provided all of his buddies around him are around that level too.

This may be redundant for anyone accustomed to pet pulling, but if you are new to it, you'll get the hang of it.  Just remember, if your pet dies on the pull, you are likely to be in a heap of Do-Do!
Terrya Anuuazz
Level 70 Wildblood
The Tribunal

Svafnir

Well, I grinded out 6 more AA and got my pet disc., and tried this again.  I used the 56 pet to pull with.  Tried it twice, and both times all the mobs immediately jumped on my pet when he attacked.  Do you think that the 56 pet may be too high lvl for these mobs?  Or, has pet pulling been nerfed somehow?

I could easily buy the soulscream belt in the bazaar, but it is somewhat of an obscession now.
Svafnir Winterfury
MT Server

Oneiromancer

There are several pet pulling discussions on the forum somewhere...probably not easy to find though.  Anyway, in order to get singles you must pull with a pet that is green to the mobs.  Thus having Suspend Minion can be important so you actually have a useful pet helping you kill the mob after it is pulled.  However, if you are just breaking a bad spawn and are able to keep it staggered, then you can probably deal with having to use the low level pet once.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

bham

I have been using the 54 pet to pull Rcod! I experimented in Harbingers Spire and found he was the highest one I could use there and assumed he was the highest I could use anywhere. I didnt realise it was linked to mob level.

If I am pulling mobs level 66+ I should be able to use a level 60 pet,  right?

Right now it takes a SoW, conviction, focus of alladnu and protection of calliav to give my little ghecko a chance to get the mob out of range of his buddies before he gets squished. Luckily I have a mage to CoH me if things go pear-shaped. And using the 60 warder will make it easier from now on.
Bham - Cleric - Mage - Wizard - Tentrix
Bertox

Oneiromancer

I think that for a mob to be green to you at those high levels, it's something like a 14 level difference.  The level 60 pet spell summons a level 49 pet...so you would need to be fighting level 63 mobs (approximately) for this to work.  The best you can do is experiement, unless someone else is in the exact same situation.  I have used the level 56 pet spell in Harbingers and it worked fine.  Not sure if that is a 14 level difference...perhaps the pet needs to be light blue to the mob only...in any case there is definitely a cutoff and it's generally associated with a con.

Game on,

Svafnir

Well, that really doesn't answer my specific question about the pet level needed to pull the Rotting Shopkeeper room in Veksar.  But, I appreciate all of your comments nonetheless.  I think that I will just try the 54 pet and cross my fingers.  I have used the 56 pet to split mobs in GE.  I guess that the mobs in Veksar must be lower lvl.
Svafnir Winterfury
MT Server

Oneiromancer

Allakhazam says that the Rotting Shopkeeper is level 56.  Seems to me like you'd need a level 42 pet or so to get it to work.  Which would be the level 54 pet to be safe.  Sounds good!

Game on,