Main Menu

69 Solo ?

Started by Tatter, February 11, 2005, 02:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatter

Look at title ..  I been solo in Griegs end since 65  and  now 69 .. The exp si ok but getting bored ...

Any fat ideas ? .  I know the new expansion is soon .  But old world as you know it whats the fat skinny on solo at 69 ? .

Thanks in advance )
Feral Lord
Tatter [ http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1081882 ] L 70 BST
Tunare

Oneiromancer

When I was 65 I would do both Grieg's End and Torgiran Mines.  Over 65, the most efficient mobs in Torgiran turn light blue, but deeper in, with the Deathguards, they should still be dark blue.  However, the rewards aren't going to be so hot, especially since the best drop (the FT1 Neck piece) will be from a light blue camp.

Over 65 my second choice after GE would have to be Temple of Droga.  Good money drops and the tribute is much better than Torgiran.  The kills won't be quite as fast, and there won't be the experience bonus you would get at 65 from the highest tier mobs, but it's something different to do.

I wouldn't have suggested this before Origin was available, but Siren's Grotto might be decent...and actually Plane of Hate should be excellent and now you can port yourself there for a price and out with an AA.  The entrance mobs might be light blue now, but the higher tier ones will work fine.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Mahes

You might also try Bloodfields, especially the dragorn near the RCoD zone line.  The mobs there aren't exceptionally hard.  They do run, though.  Experience is ok.  Noble's causeway isn't bad either.

Unfortunately there are no l33t solo experience spots at 69.  Just so-so to good ones.  The best experience still lies in groups in PoFire, Riftseekers, some MPG and RCoD.

If you don't mind the grind, I'd second the recommendations in Oneiromancer's post as well as the ones I mentioned above.  Riwwi's not bad either, but probably even more of a grind.

Tatter

Thanks so  much for the ideas . I may try Droga . I have never soloed there . Mabe deep it is bark blue ..  Have to look ..

Also thought about Sirens Grotto .. But after a double pull and the water ..  I kinda soured and thought it might be safer somewhere else. Atleast till I secure the level . heh .  Then death is not such a big deal to me.

Never thought of plane of hate . I have to look into that and the armor is also handed in in POK for gems and faction if I remember right ..
Feral Lord
Tunare

Oneiromancer

Quote from: Tatter on February 11, 2005, 07:28:13 PM
Thanks so  much for the ideas . I may try Droga . I have never soloed there . Mabe deep it is bark blue ..  Have to look ..

Deep in will definitely still be dark blue, the mobs are 59-61.  There are at least 3 tiers in Droga, I think the second tier is 55-57, so might still be dark blue at 69...

QuoteAlso thought about Sirens Grotto .. But after a double pull and the water ..  I kinda soured and thought it might be safer somewhere else. Atleast till I secure the level . heh .  Then death is not such a big deal to me.

The best area for me was up near the Western Wastes zoneline, when I was hunting parts for my Shawl.  Easier to get singles when you learn the layout, and the out-of-water mobs aren't as annoying.

QuoteNever thought of plane of hate . I have to look into that and the armor is also handed in in POK for gems and faction if I remember right ..

Yep, you can get gems for the armor pieces, not sure about the faction though.

Now, building on what Mahes said...I totally forgot about GoD and OoW zones.  Riwwi is definitely doable, I was there many nights at 65 trying for the chest piece, and I got very good at fighting at the Qinimi zoneline.  One thing I can say is, it's not a boring camp at my equipment level.  I had to pay attention all the time.  I never died once, thought I got close a few times.  Bloodfields is probably okay, but didn't feel efficient to me, and also without knowing the loot I could get I didn't have much impetus.  But I did try Harbinger's Spire several times while levelling to 68.  I think it turns light blue at 69 though, so it might not be an option.

Game on,

Grbage

Droga-I like to solo in Droga but there are a couple things you need. Use Hobble, the mobs do a death march and if you cant burn them down or snare, it is possible to get adds. Boost your MR, several mobs fear and while you usually will break fear before taking more then a few steps occasionally one will stick for a long time, this usually results in dying (at least for me).

Riwwi-Buff up all your resists, it is the procs that make these guys hard. If you can resist the procs they go down fairly easily.
Grbage Heep
85 Beast of Torv

Tatter

I got ya .. thanks so much . Mabe I wait for Droga till 70 and get Hobble .. I never really got that as it never used to stack . I was digging the proc too much .. Even with stun resists when warder gets bad at it he deals serious damage .. without stun .. 

So  .. My magelo is almost right side from a couple pieces I updated today  that I never changed yet .. Take a look at my wears and AA and see what you think of me in these places .. 

I am really thinking of Sirens now pretty hard hehe . Or mabe just stay in GE till 70 and secure then go to one of these places .. Not sure . But Griegs I am a mowing machine . 

I knoiw this is not an equiptment posted area .. But I feel a small glance by you pro's would be able to tell me if I can handle these places ..

Thanks so much and sorry to keep bothering you . heh  .. I love this game and would like to keep soloing pretty much to 70 and secure and  the most of this bst will have soloed to 70 .. beside a few LDoN .
Feral Lord
Tunare

Oneiromancer

I don't think you'll have too much trouble with Droga solo really, even without Hobble.  Nothing sees invis at all, so run around and plan your attack carefully.  Most of the mobs will come solo, so once you get one or two done you will have a decently sized area to have them run in.  Keep two nukes memorized for when they start running in case one resists and I honestly don't think you'll get in too much trouble.  Famous last words perhaps...

Game on,

Tatter

Ok tried Droga .. Not bad but a butt load of adds sometimes and much down time compared to GE ..

Veksar a lot of light blue .. More than GE .

PoN Ravens and Trees mostlly LB ..  I did not look to long .. just a bit  to check it out .

POI .. Most all LB ..  agian not much time here scouting .

BoT all dark blue but a lot of down time  to make it work .. a lot of dancing back and forth ..  easy singles on bottom south ..

I have not tried any of the other zones  mentioned ...  I may go back to GE till 70 LOL . A few LB but mostlly DB .. and deceant EXP ..
Plus the familiar factor is comming into play here :P

Also did the Sun Reaves around the lake  in the grey all DB .. Pretty good exp and not much DT .. But a lot of lagg for some reason . It was not used to be that bad .. Mabe it will be fixed ..  Plus had to give up my nice back for the shell  to  have enduring breath ..  But if the lagg was fixed it may be my home to 70 .. Had 2 Rock fiends pop on me and pulled a reaver ... It was not a problem all slowed and the fiends were green .. and  after I slowed and dotted to Reave I killed the greenies and pet ate the hell out of the reave and by the time I was done the pet was barelly half life  (DPoC)  and the reave was about to run ..  made almost half a blue per round .. hehe.

Just a quick update on my progress .. Thanks agian for the help guys . and mabe this will help others as well ) . 

Feral Lord
Tunare

Aesreth

You didn;t go deep enough in Veksar.  I really like th efeel of that zone - head down beyond tghe shop to the highborn area, or even the sewers if you really want some tougher mobs.  It's nice that none of them run, but the loot is no longer useful, mostly.

Droga always got on my nerves, I die more there for some reason.  No Hobble?  Heh, but it's also just a very confusing zone.  I love dungeons, but for crawling, not holing up in a corner for hours.  And crawling Droga isn't a solo option.

My soloing lately has been in SG (epic mob), Riwwi trash (gogo BBSC!  got the Surcoat of Tragedy to drop, bah, *and* scouting NW Fixi , for whom I need a friend or two), NC, and even DS near NC zone for faction (lots od db at 66).

It's unfortunate wone is more or less compelled to flow towards the newer expansions to make the drops worthwhile, but personally, I love the feel of danger in GoD/OoW zones, and the mob models are finally new.

GE sounds fine for easy soloing - and I've never done it deep in near named areas *disclaimer disclaimer* - but it also sounds really dull and routine.  There's enough of that in EQ as it is, eh?

Now, don;'t even get me started on the lvl 62 BST I saw pet-clericing on a horse in Natimbi..../shudder.
Aesreth Glandmaster
Paragon of Emission Topologies, Unification of the 70 Glandular Harmonies
Outsider Domination of The Seventh Hammer

Oneiromancer

I guess I didn't feel that the downtime in Droga was too horrible...but I did focus on lifetaps and mana regen so that could make a difference.

I have heard vague references to the DoN zones being nicely soloable.  At least one of them has mobs with a huge aggro radius, but not all of them.  I'm sure we'll hear about that more in the future.

Game on,

Tatter

Also POD and the spiders on the way to the castle . They are good solo at 69 .. But some are cleric types .  And takes a bit  to  kill sometimes

Also the bugs they look like underbulks outside the castle is good at 69 .. Some harm touch for around 900 or so and hit for around 300 on occasion  but not all the time . And  not many HP's ..

They do run so if you dont have hobble kill the fast as you can . That's what I do till I get hobble ..  Then I can hobble them . They supposed to be AA at 70 too . If the bugs are gone pull some light crawlers .. Good fun no doubt ..

There are some more of my hunting solo exp .
Feral Lord
Tunare

Tastian

One of the biggest things about "grinding" is the exp verse rate issue.  I found it especially important in a spot like droga where you actually have several tiers of mobs right in the same zone.  At one point I was grinding out down by king camp awhile back and all mobs were DB and exp was kinda ok I guess for what I was doing and although I didn't have any downtime I was using mana to heal at times and really wasn't clearing tons of mobs.  Then I decided to move back up closer to the zone in and give the mobs there a go.  Some were LB, but they died so much faster and didn't require any healing at all.  I would kill in the big room that has the hall leading down to the runri area and right leading down to king area.  I'd kill the mobs there and roamers, go wipe out necro area, go wipe out stone crook whatever, go wipe out the named sk spot and then clear out the named mage room right nearby without needing to heal or have downtime and cycled so many more mobs the exp was much faster.  *shrugs*  It will of course depend on gear and AA and a lot of other things, but always remember it's not just about exp per kill.  Even if a spot starts to go LB it still might be the best choice for you. 

Tatter

Well said Tastian .. I stayed in Griegs at the SD entrance and soloed almost all of 69..  Dinged 70 last evening and now .. We got a big patch and .. I pray they dont roll me back hehe . Atleast till I secure the level some ..
Feral Lord
Tunare

Terrya Anuuazz

Tastian is on the money. 

I hear folks talk about EXP per kill alot, which is fine if you can kill them fast enough, but even if a mob gives you 5% exp per kill, it's not worth the time to do it if you can kill 10 light blues in the same amount of time for 1% per kill.  When soloing especially:

Kill Rate > EXP per mob

Even at 70, where GE mobs are about 50/50 light blue in outer, I can kill fast enough that slaying outer mobs is faster EXP per hour than moving to inner mobs that take longer to kill even though they are all dark blue.

It's precisely this reason that keeps GE > UP for exp even with UP as a hotspot.  You can simply kill GE mobs so much faster than UP mobs that the EXP adds up faster over time even without the additional bonus.

Soloing will never get you better exp than a good RS or MPG group, but it's definately viable to do in some downtime or if you don't have time to really get into a group.  If I've only got 30 minutes or an hour to grind, I'll run straight to GE for some fast, easy exp.  It's a grind yes, but it's efficient.
Terrya Anuuazz
Level 70 Wildblood
The Tribunal