Main Menu

Probably dumb questions from a noob to pet classes but....

Started by ImoAB, January 20, 2004, 05:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizsolo

I, errr, cut and pasted this to a Word document last spring.  I had found it on the 'other' beastlord forum and was very excited to read it.  Unfortunately, I didn't save who wrote it   :oops:  so I can't attribute it properly.  /sigh  So, if someone here wrote it, Thanks!  and sorry I didn't credit you properly.

Does giving our pet a weapon help them with their damage?

Yes, and no. Your warders damage will be based on their own base damage and their own base delay, so unless the weapon is greater than 1/2 of your warders max hit, the weapon has no effect on damage. For example the 22 warder's max hit is 22, as such, any weapon with a base damage of 11 or below will do nothing to improve your warders damage. Obviously procs are a different story here.

The level 9, 15, and 22 warders get only single and double attack, as such, it is generally best to give these warders a 2HB weapon, something in the 11 - 15 damage range is really good here.

Now, like all good rules there are exceptions to this. Our level 30 gets both double attack and dual wield, unfortunately, it appears to suffer the same problem that Necro, Chanter, and Mages pets do at this level, and that is that it won't dual wield properly unless you equip it with two weapons.

As was stated previously, our warders have the same weapon skill caps we do, as such, the level 9 - 60 warders are all equally versed in 1HB, 2HB, Pericing and H2H weapons, however, the level 62 and 64 warders are level 60, and have an H2H skill capped at 250 instead of 225 for 1HB, 2HB, and piercing. As such, it is critical that if you give your warder a weapon after level 62, that you give it a H2H weapon for maximum performance.

Based on all of this, here is a simple break down of best weapons per level;

Level 9 warder: Any 1HB, 2HB, Piercing, H2H weapon with a base damage higher than 5. 2HB preferred.
Level 15 warder: Any 1HB, 2HB, Piercing, H2H weapon with a base damage higher than 8. 2HB preferred.
Level 22 warder: Any 1HB, 2HB, Piercing, H2H weapon with a base damage higher than 11. 2HB preferred.
Level 30 warder: Two weapons. 1HB, Piercing, and H2H weapons only. No minimum damage for usefulness.
Level 39 warder: 1HB, Piercing, and H2H weapons only. Minimum weapon damage to be useful is 20.
Level 49 warder: 1HB, Piercing, and H2H weapons only. Minimum weapon damage to be useful is 25.
Level 54 warder: 1HB, Piercing, and H2H weapons only. Minimum weapon damage to be useful is 27.
Level 56 warder: 1HB, Piercing, and H2H weapons only. Minimum weapon damage to be useful is 30.
Level 58 warder: 1HB, Piercing, and H2H weapons only. Minimum weapon damage to be useful is 31.
Level 60 warder: 1HB, Piercing, and H2H weapons only. Minimum weapon damage to be useful is 33.
Level 62 warder: 2 H2H weapons only. Minimum weapon damage to be useful is 36.
Level 64 warder: 2 H2H weapons only. Minimum weapon damage to be useful is 37.
Lizsolo - Barbie Beastlord and her dog Poochie
Rodcet Nife

NoxCruor

Ok, first off, yes it was lack of sleep that was causing my mind not to work.

Secondly, thank you for explaining it.  

Third, Lizsolo, YOU R0X0RZ!!  That's the document, thank you for getting ahold of it.  I knew I wasn't going totally insane.

ImoAB, I'm creating a post shortly that will hopefully answer a frustration I have.  And thanks for responding.

I totally agree, I think we are now getting somewhere.  Another question I have is simply, how much difference is there in dmg when giving pets weapons with good dmg?  I know it was said that people concerned with doing tons of DPS are mostly concerned about it, but I'm also curious?  Are we talking a huge difference, or a small difference in the end?  Also, aside from weapons giving HP bonus', what other stats would be valuable for the pets?
Khillarri
Dark Beastlord Outcast of Shar Vahl
Sworn Protector of the Nox`Cruor Clan
~Hidden within the night, we follow our Prey.  Surrounded by the darkness we seek our retribution.  Over the centuries, you came for us and sought our destruction after learning the truth.  Now, we come for you and seek your death after centuries of torture.~  Orionus Nox`Cruor

ImoAB

Well, to continue this discussion and add in some admittedly unparsed info.
I had another go last night.
For 30 mins, I did not give my warder a weapon.
I tanked along side him in DSP on regular zels.
Each fight I started on 50% health, and was down to about 20 by the end of each one.
My warder hit for 32 max as per table (can also confirm that the ? can be removed from the pet table btw – he does indeed treble)

Then for the next 30 mins I gave him a 2hb – in the shape of a patchwork jetsam picked up in bazaar for 10p.
Warder then hit regularly in the 40's, 50's and max at 64 – and still doubled and trebled.

The result ?

I never got below 39% from any fight. Therefore killed more mobs in the same time frame – therefore got more xp.

Needless to say, I shall certainly continue feeding weapons to my hungry warder – and will experiment with some one handers at some point, but big damage 2 handers still look very good to me......

Soriab

QuoteLevel 62 warder: 2 H2H weapons only. Minimum weapon damage to be useful is 36.
So....... Where does one get a H2H that has a minimum damage of 36/37?

TheOriginalGronker

Quote from: Soriab
QuoteLevel 62 warder: 2 H2H weapons only. Minimum weapon damage to be useful is 36.
So....... Where does one get a H2H that has a minimum damage of 36/37?

In the expansion after GoD judging by equipment progression ...

Soriab

NoxCruor

Khillarri
Dark Beastlord Outcast of Shar Vahl
Sworn Protector of the Nox`Cruor Clan
~Hidden within the night, we follow our Prey.  Surrounded by the darkness we seek our retribution.  Over the centuries, you came for us and sought our destruction after learning the truth.  Now, we come for you and seek your death after centuries of torture.~  Orionus Nox`Cruor

Soriab

Thanks Nox but T.King's the one that made it.

http://home.comcast.net/~tomjking/" target="_blank">T. Kings website

I host Terabars UI Site on my server so you can get skins there also if you want.

www.onyxsystems.us

Hrann

I believe the old rule about using h2h weapons only was proved to have changed and to be no longer the case several months back.  Using the mages' swords is fine now (actually better).

maethwyn

I'm only level 46 ATM, but I always carry around either a Greatstaff of Thunder or a Fungus Covered Tarmok Staff (bought for 25pp... probably should have waited and sold it to a BER... oh well hehe) if I know I am going to be in the same spot for a while.

I gave fido the FCTS last night while smacking down graveyard inhabitants in Katta and he regularly hit in the 80's.  I didn't even need to pull out of the GY... just ran around and killed as they popped.  XP was flying!

...and little Mr. Harry Toes inside the building was even easier :p
Barb Beastlord Xarte - Tholuxe Paells

ImoAB

Well, its's ding 39 here, new warder with haste and a hefty 2hb can tank 3 regular zels in DSP without healing while I sit and med / bind wound.
No down time whatsoever - killing stuff constantly (well, at least one of us is anyway....)

Speckocat Catnippu

I'm still mostly a newb to EQ, since I started playing last May and only get to play 6-8 hours a week tops.  My bl has become my main, tho she was not my first toon and is only @ lvl 31 so far.

My question is:

when you give your pet a weapon and camp or zone or otherwise make pet go away, does weapon go away or does it return when pet is cast again?  I'm presuming it goes away, but I can't seem to find a definitive to that anywhere.

Sorry for the dumb question...and especially sorry if someone addressed it already and I just can't see it for all the discussion on the kind and level of weapon.

Thanks--
Speckocat Catnippurr
Tarew Marr
When all else fails, pet the dog.

Speckocat Catnippu

My question was really more of "Is my warder still armed the next time I bring it up?"  Or does it need a new weapon if I want it to have one?  This goes for non-mage-summoned weapons.  Presumably those summoned by mages are no rent for everyone always, even a warder.

Sorry if I am being dense.  Appreciate the assistance.

Thanks!

Kylaz

Speck, whatever you give your warder will forever vanish when it dies, you zone, camp or log out....
Kylaz - Feral Troll
Main Entry:liz·ard
Etymology:Middle English liserd, from Middle French laisarde, from Latin lacerta (Date:14th century)
1 : any of a suborder (Lacertilia) of reptiles distinguished from the snakes by a fused inseparable lower jaw, a single temporal opening, external ears, and eyes with movable lids; broadly : any relatively long-bodied reptile (as a crocodile or dinosaur) with legs and tapering tail