Main Menu

Pet aggro = my aggro?

Started by Hrann, January 28, 2004, 05:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hrann

Thanks very much for testing this guys.  This is what I've always believed, but have had some people tell me otherwise and had no proof to back myself up.  I haven't had much playing time in the last month or so, so never got to test it; I'm glad you guys aren't as much of a slacker as I am.

Silresa

Well, here's my quick 2cents on the subject.

I always, 100% of the time have my Jingles generating every single oint of aggro she possibly can. Taunt, procs, haste, buffs, everythin'.

Why?

It's my strongly-held opinion that pets can make all the difference in holding aggro. I made a few posts to my alliance's boards about this, since so many people have an anyeurism if you send your pet in before assist is called. :roll:  Pets will not take aggro, and in that situation, they will assist in keeping it.

Ever since the days of Zlandicar, long long ago, when my pet was ALWAYS the first one to get summoned when he gated.. Whether it was a warrior, paladin or shadowknight tanking.. Zland gated, and Jingles disappears. What's that tell me? It tells me she's generating an arseload of hate, and making holding aggro that much easier.

It's even happened recently on some elemental/3rd tier type fights, such as Xuzl. He got pushed up onto one of the pillars, and poof, Jingles is summoned once he's out of MT range.

I've always believed in the capabilities of my pet, and will continue to do so. ;)
http://members.cox.net/losian/newsig.gif">
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=249204">Silresa Kylong, Iksarian Feral Lady of Watchkeepers.
- And -
Jingles, the ever faithful and infamous warder companion.

Pynke Finger

Quoteon tz fight of rztw script (the one that procs agro debuff on mt, and agro enhancer aoe or something like that) my guild kept having problems with him turning and/or healers getting early agro and the aoe chewing people up,

All right last night we were in the middle of TZ.  Round one: Enchanters got DC pets, everyone else got pets. We commenced. First wave of AE Enchanters pets RUN IN /screams pet hold is GOOD. No effect. Pets push TZ up into wall, he pops out of wall, commences to warp back to room, adding 2-3 mobs. We die lets go again.

Round two: Raid leader states "This time NO PETS" ...... Beastlord starts getting huffy. Enchanter tells Raid Say next mob inc is DC Pet. Beastlord Rants "Us who know pet control, get ZERO chance to prove it because those lame enchanter pets are in again, but ours are out" Ok so fine, I sit back suspend tigger and AFK my nearest cleric (yah i know lazy, but hell not like my 3 dps is anygood at range attack anyways) So we're about to attack TZ again, He procs his AE. Enchanter pets ZOOOMMMM Enchanters start chain clicking /pet back off (5 chanters YES this was serious spam) Fight proceeds fairly well, mob stayed positioned, range attack ect. When suddenly Tank down, Chanter pet has agro, Boom TZ proceeds to slaughter chanter, LEaving pet, who goes after next chanter, dead enchanter times 2, Live pet time 3. yah we wiped again.

Round Three: Raid leader states "This time NO pets and I REALLY MEAN IT" Beastlord still huffy but suspends tigger and goes afk again. Minor disaster in route (someone thought it'd be cool to have 6 mobs in camp that all split) SO i Summoned tigger to fight, got all the mobs down, Mob for TZ spawn in camp. So I hit pet hold, and proceed to beat the crap out of a mob, Kicking as I go, however of course, /pet attack on my raid setup is where KICK on my group setup hotkeys is. You guessed it, After all my whining and bitching TZ pops and Tigger hauls ass to attack.
I /pet hold quickly, tz runs up to me, And shoots an arrow up Tiggers ass (was rather amusing watching him die) And TZ Turns around to slaughter a cleric.

I guess The moral is Even real pet classes are able to screwup and maybe I should be less vocal *won't happen but is worth a laugh or two* Oh yes, I actually Didn't die until TZ decided to warp to his room and bring VZ to kick my sorry ass for healing all the clerics. (yah I know, BL heals, but hey i kept my group of clerics alive 2 seconds longer) So I never DID get Tigger's agro. Don't know if it's a fluke or not, but I truly hate raids without Tigger and when he's Dead ownership agro did not land on me.

Pynke Finger - 65 - Beastlord - The Rathe

Mirna

Somewhat of an old message but it has been a while since I came here. =)

Quote from: MahesSo logically, there's no valid reason to turn off pet taunt unless you wish to aggro-kite?

I never have taunt off, unless aggro kiting. And yes, it does help the MT with holding aggro. I never slow a mob unless it is mezzed/rooted or my pet is on it. If my pet is not on the mob, I know it will ignore the MT and go straight after me. A shaman who gets aggro from slows, never has his pet engaged either.

QuoteAnd the whole thing I posted earlier about pet taunt assisting the MA for aggro control is essentially rubbish?

Not in my experience.. Unless you decide to sit down for whatever reason with your pet engaged and early in fight. Ever since a beastlord, with no sense of petcontroll, nearly wiped a VT raid, we are only allowed pets on the boss mobs. The trash mobs bounce around a lot  between CC/shamans/healers without any pets engage, while on boss fights, MT has absolutely NO problem keeping aggro with pets engaged.