Main Menu

Guild Wars E3 open Alpha demo

Started by Argach, May 13, 2004, 04:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argach

Anybody else played this? I tried it, seems pretty fun game albeit a bit closer to D2/Sacred than EQ. Fast tempo, very stabile for alpha (more than this current EQ version we have as a matter of fact), no downtime, big fights with 3-5 mobs in camp, quite pretty despite running even on my piece of crap comp (750 Mhz, 512 RAM, GeForce 2 64). There are no beastlords really, but rangers seem to get an animal companion later (pets not implemented yet). I'm running around as Raven Steelclad, mangina necro/ranger, say hi if ye see me there. ^_^

I might even buy the game if when it goes live WoW is still a year+ off in the normal Blizzard style.

http://www.guildwars.com/default.html <-- the site.

Jaeren

I played it for an hour or two tonight. Seemed kinda fun, almost made we want to dig up my copy of Diablo or NWN or something. Might be a good game for people that like that style of game. Dunno about me playing it really unless I ever quit eq, paying for one game is enough ;)

EQ - Morell Thule / Erollisi Marr (Retired):
[75 Beastlord] Jaeren (Barbarian)
[72 Cleric] Velissia (High Elf)
[69 Shaman] Sotar (Vah Shir)

WoW - Medivh (Retired):
[60 Rogue] Draeven (Undead)
[60 Priest] Lifesaver (Undead)
[56 Rogue] Klaien (Human)
[51 Paladin] Keidian (Human)

VSOH - Flamehammer (Retired)
[34 Disciple] Daevien (Half Elf)
[33 Bard] Pastorius (Kojani)
[26 Dread Knight] Draeven (Kojani)

Skanda

QuoteWill there be a monthly fee for Guild Wars?

No, there will not be a monthly subscription fee of any kind, anywhere.

For those of you that like Diablo type games. Wonder if they have adds in there somewhere to pay for it.

Jaeren

Hmm, would be kinda hard to pay for ongoing fees (server, line, upgrades, replacement stuff, etc). No ads in what I saw but it is just the E3 demo basically.

WoW - Medivh (Retired):

Skanda

Found an article describing how he plans on paying for it.

QuoteComputer game designer Jeff Strain describes his latest creation as a fantastical online world of castles, monsters, swords and magic spells that players explore and experience bit by bit.

That's also how Strain wants players to pay for "Guild Wars," one of a new breed of pay-as-you-go video games that publishers hope will keep revenue rolling in long after a title's initial sale.

After "Guild Wars" debuts later this year, Strain's ArenaNet Inc. will offer new levels that players can pay to download.

"Once you purchase a chapter, you can play it online as long as you want," said Strain, who declined to say how much chapters would cost. "Then every six months, we'll offer a new chapter that's a whole new experience."

So you just wind up paying for new "expansions" every 6 months.

Pojodan

Bah, I went to download it and discovered that it wasn't available for download anymore  :(

Jaeren

Yeah, it was only available during the E3 show time. It's now closed, their beta shoudl be upcoming during the year though and you could probably find screenshots there and maybe other sites, I haven't really looked. I got a pretty good idea of the game from the time I played :)

WoW - Medivh (Retired):

Marthaan

Quote from: JaerenI played it for an hour or two tonight. Seemed kinda fun, almost made we want to dig up my copy of Diablo or NWN or something. Might be a good game for people that like that style of game. Dunno about me playing it really unless I ever quit eq, paying for one game is enough ;)

Well Jaeren if you actually dropped one of you EQ accounts you could actually pay to play another game :) :P
Feral Lord Marthaan Ashugaan - Seekers of the Path - Morell Thule

Jaeren

Lol true, but then i wouldn't have the vast army of chars ready to fill any role :P

WoW - Medivh (Retired):