Main Menu

Ultima X: Odyssey cancelled.

Started by Bulge, July 01, 2004, 06:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulge

Sorry to  bust in between all the more "beastlordy" threads again with this, but I get so sad everytime this happens and it makes me want to share it with what I consider one of my favourite online communities.

Link is here: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/news/gameID/110/showArticle/1893

It is so silly: they are cancelling this project for the exact same reasons why they cancelled UO2 some years ago: to focus more on UO itself. How shortsighted is that?  I remember the uproar when they cancelled UO2, that was really something. I guess the UO fanbase is getting quit used to it now.....
Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.

Skanda

Wasn't expecting this one to die. Still waiting on Matrix MMO....

Gelcea

Cancelling one UO sequel is unfortunate.
Cancelling two begins to look like carelessness.

To say nothing of the whacky fun rumours about UO2 (a different one) being in early development now.
Gelcea Macha, wandering wolf-tamer of Tarew Marr.
"Run, wolf warrior, to hide your hunger
The rain will wash away the pains of the day
In your eyes there are cold fires burning
Tongues of flame that can never be tamed"

Yiktiki

Richard Garriott isn't associated with any Ultima stuff anymore anyway, so no big deal.

Check out Lord Britain's new/current project, Tabula Rasa.

http://www.playtr.com/
Starlighte - Tauren Druid - Level 70
Misscreant - Blood Elf Warlock - Level 70
Kilrogg Server

RETIRED
Elder Yiktiki Tumbo - Feral Lord
Starlighte Starbrighte - Pocket Druid
Luclin Server

Oneiromancer

Doh!  I've always loved the Ultima series of games (not so much 8 and 9 though), and I was looking forward to this one as conceivably continuing the saga in a way that UO couldn't.  How sad...

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Bulge

Quote from: YiktikiRichard Garriott isn't associated with any Ultima stuff anymore anyway, so no big deal.

Check out Lord Britain's new/current project, Tabula Rasa.

http://www.playtr.com/

Yes, I am keeping track of that one too. There are a few very good game developers out there and Garriott is one of them.

Here is an interesting interview with another such "icon" of old school computer RPG's, Jon van Caneghem, of the Might and Magic series. The interview is pretty in depth, imo.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/18/news_6100916.html

Even though M&M 9 sucked, I thoroughly enjoyed M&M 6 and was really addicted to it for a while.  Looks like he has some interesting ideas about mmorpgs also and I hope he can pull off something big. :) Looks like NCsoft is pulling in all the talent in trying to dominate the mmorpg-market.
Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.

Mindlet

I really doubt that many of the plans for MMORPGs will actually be completed. They are not like FPS or single player RPGs like Baldurs Gate. These games require as we all know a lot of time to play. One person can really only be playing 1 of them at a time. I don't see much more room for new games.

Pyanfar Meras

Thanks to this forum and thread, I got to meet Lord British in person in Austin, Tx, as he held a Q&A and showed a demo of Tabula Rasa...The game features are going to be awesome, with everyone getting a house upon login...the ability to instantly teleport to your friends side...instanced quests you can finish in under half an hour....and voice chat (with voice fonts so you can play the other sex without being outed).   :D    So Thanks, Beastlords' Den

PS I also find this forum invaluable...Keep up the Good Work!
The difference between theory and practice? In theory, there is no difference....and in practice, there is.....

DiosT

Chackra

Quote from: Pyanfar MerasThanks to this forum and thread, I got to meet Lord British in person in Austin, Tx, as he held a Q&A and showed a demo of Tabula Rasa...The game features are going to be awesome, with everyone getting a house upon login...the ability to instantly teleport to your friends side...instanced quests you can finish in under half an hour....and voice chat (with voice fonts so you can play the other sex without being outed).   :D    So Thanks, Beastlords' Den

PS I also find this forum invaluable...Keep up the Good Work!

Is he as weird in person as he seems in promo videos?

Seriously, though, it takes a lot to get me interested in a new computer game this early in development, and I'm nowhere near getting my hopes up yet, but Tabula Rasa does sound genuinely interesting.