Main Menu

Laptops and eq

Started by Braedan_VZ, July 21, 2004, 04:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Braedan_VZ

I've been thinking about buying a gaming laptop.  Are there any concerns I should be aware of before I try?  

A couple of the things that concern is that I think I heard that laptop monitors have trouble keeping up with games like eq is why I ask.
I also don't know if laptops are built to endure marathon sessions of gaming or being on 24/7 like my regular comp.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a good company that I should look at?

Taiglin

I have an Dell C800 1.2Ghz (I think) that works well enough. Never had a problem with the LCD assuming that is what you meant by "laptop monitor." The big hump to get over that I have seen is to get more then 256mb of ram. Use this computer for my bot, as the display is like 14' or 15' would hate to look at that all the time for playing.

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]

Koullyn

I run a Dell Lattitude D600 with 1gb of ram in it. I have to run with the clip plane at 5-10%, but I am able to go on full 70+ person raids with no issues. Actually participated in a GM even the other day with 100+ people killling Behe in PoI. Don't let people sell you on that Alienware crap, it is overpriced and overrated.

I am thinking of upgrading to one of the newer laptops with 64+mb of video ram. I have played with no issues on Toshiba Sattelites and American Computer Tech ones also. The ACT computer is very reasonably priced and you can get it with the ATI or Nvidia chip.
-- Retired Level 70 Beastlord --
http://www.wowgamers.com
http://www.wwm.net

Carragh

I play on a laptop.  I got it what seems like forever ago, but I guess it was only in 2003. *chuckles*  Anyhow, at that time I bought it for the EQ2 specifications (which of course changed before release so that my laptop's video card isn't compatible, oh how happy that made me /sarcasm).  It has 512mb ram - it's a Compaq Presario 2800T.  I used to play with new models on and 0% clip plane and had horrid lag and 5+ minute zone times, but once I turned off models, it runs pretty damn flawlessly with roughly 1 minute zone times and 100% clip plane.  I haven't had a problem with Compaq's, like, ever, so I guess I'd recommend looking at them as an option.  I ordered mine on their website so I specified everything I wanted at the time.  I love my laptop - I was going to buy a desktop when EQ2 just came out, but I realized it's a bit expensive considering my laptop works just fine and I'm still enjoying EQ.  So yeah, I guess my advice would be to try to get the best video card you can get, and as much ram as you can get, so it doesn't get outdated as quickly - since that's what I would do if I ever bought another laptop.
Feralkin Carragh Vonderewignacht
[70 Wildblood] of <Fire and Fury>
Firiona Vie

Hissyfitt

I have the Dell Inspiron 600m.  I paid about $1,500 for it.  Make sure you configure it to have the specific options you want.

I have 512mb RAM and a 64mb video card.  The monitor is not the true-bright deal, its a standard modern laptop monitor though and while it's less impressive than a high rez flatscreen desktop display, it works.  I couldn't find a reasonably priced laptop with true-bright and an independant video card.

The independant video card is key.  Don't get a computer that uses an "integrated graphics card" or some other variant of allocating RAM as video/texture memory.  That's the big reason for long zone times.  I zone in about 10-30 seconds depending on the zone, with the options I have set for EQ.

I got this computer so I could use it for work, research, school, as well as gaming. 

The one issue, which might have been what you were referring to with laptop monitors, is that sometimes there is a greenish flickering line that cuts across the screen.  It isn't very often though, maybe once every 5-10 mins, and only lasts a few seconds.  I know some people would go crazy over it, but I just ignore it.

I don't play with models on.  I run the clip plane about 50% in most zones, less in PoK or other huge/highly populated areas.

I would recommend getting some speakers and a wireless keyboard/mouse setup though for when you play at home at your desk.  You can get the laptop keys and trackpad pretty gritty and sweaty after a long gaming session, plus its hard to really control everything with such a small input area.

On other thing, I spent $30 on a cooling plate that sits under my laptop and blows two fans at the base where the CPU/video card generate heat.  It's a lifesaver; overheating is the biggest reason laptops fail.

Hope this helps!

-Hissyfitt, 65 BST VZ

DiosT

The main considerations with laptops is, you'll never be able to upgrade them (easily or regularly), aside from system RAM and maybe the hard drive...

Typical Laptop Problems are:
1) LCD screen ghosting, not a huge issue, just make sure the response time (which is set by manufacturer by LCD's, if this spec is not on the website for it, or on the box, do NOT buy it!!) -- A good number for response times would be under 30ms (lower is better)
2) Get a good video card if you're getting on-board video
3) Hard drive speeds -- A typical bottleneck nowadays with games reaching 2-4GB in disk size is the hard drive's read speed, unfortunatly you can't really do anything about this in a laptop, but it is/can be a problem when dealing with large games... only 'work around' is getting LOTS of ram, so your computer uses the hard drive as a swap file less.. load times will be just as slow, but it wouldn't slow down so much in the game with lots of RAM
4) Buy the RAM outright... spend extra on it, or you'll be throwing away $50-200 in RAM... Laptop RAM only really works in laptops, so if you're going to upgrade, go ahead and get it from the start (either buy the ram you want from the manuf. or get the least amount of RAM from the manf. you can, then get the 2x512 or 2x1GB memory sticks

all i can think to say right now :-P may add more later

Thaeliun

I hope I don't seem lazy, but I've been looking all over the place for a link I saw on one of the forums here at The Beastlord's Den.  It was a link to a site which sells what look to be great gaming laptops for relatively cheap money.  I will be starting a new position in 2 weeks which will require me to travel.  I need at least 1 laptop to take with me so I can play EQ and keep my trader up.  Of course it's also a great excuse to start a 3rd account since I will have 3 comps at home.  I'm pretty sure I'll make a cleric to go with my BST/Mage combo so I can do those LDONs by myself now and finally get those pet augs!

tunr

My employer was kind enough to outfit me with a Dell Latitude laptop.

It runs EQ just fine, both from a hardwired and from a wireless standpoint. I can sit at Buffalo Wildwings and play EQ all nite without any issues.
Tunr Pishsandwitch
an Officer of
SoulBound of Mith Mar
-----------------------------------
We are the beastlords that say -- 'Roar!'

Baracca

As far as Laptops go, I've not come across anything that my setup cant handle

Sager - 9860
P4 3.6
2x 80gb Detachable 2.5" 9.5mm SATA150 HDs - Raid-0      -upgradeable ++
RAM 1024mb 533DDR2                                                               -upgradeable ++
Ext. USB 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
Built-in 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MSPro/SD/MMC/CF/MD/SM)
17" WSXGA+ TFT
PCI-Express 16x -  ATIX800 256MB w/GDDR3                         -upgradeable ++
DVD±R/RW Combo drive
1 Type II PCMCIA Slot
Full Sized Keyboard with Numeric Keypad
Infrared Communication, FIR, SIR and ASK Compliant
1 16c550 Compatible Serial Port
1 Parallel Port, with ECP/EPP Support
1 External Keyboard Port
1 DVI Port
4 USB 2.0 Ports
4 multi-function Audio Jacks
1 RJ-45 LAN (10/100/1000Mbps)
1 RJ-11 Modem
2 IEEE 1394a Fire Wire
1 S-video TV-Out
1 S-video Video-in
Mini-PCi Hardware MPEG-2 TV-Tuner (MCE2005)
Internal 802.11g & Bluetooth combo card Mini-PCI interface
Build-in Digital Video Camera

Only thing i didnt care for was the onboard sound, bought an audigyZ for that
Power hungry Beast - only get about an hour and a half batter life, but i usually run it plugged in anyways
Kinda heavy - but expected that from a desktop replacement

all in all this thing is truly a beast of a machine
runs everything I've thrown at it from 3ds Max / Maya / autocad etc...
Runs every game ive throuwn at it at Max settings flawlessly (although i stick w/High settings for eq2)

Baracca Smilodon
The Rathe

~Kids today have the Attention-Span of High-Speed Lint~

Baracca Smilodon
The Rathe
League of Levity
Kat Toyz