Main Menu

elder scrolls 3: morrowind

Started by Braedan_VZ, November 09, 2004, 04:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Braedan_VZ

Would that game be a good eq alternative?  I don't have nearly the # of classes I understand but from what I read it has quests that actually work.
Is it from a first or third person view?

Eatbugs

I picked up a cheap copy recently (It's been out quite a long time) and it looks decent, but frankly runs so slowly on my computer that it's not worth playing.  I find this odd, given that my system is way past the minimum requirements and all my drivers are up to date.  Even with the clipping plane cut way back, once I get out of the first town it's like playing a particularly slow slideshow.

Too bad, I'd heard a lot about how much fun it was.
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal

Oneiromancer

Morrowind is a resource hog...when it came out it was meant to run only on the newest computers/video cards, with tons of RAM.  There are many tweaks you can make to let it run better...which I had to do in order to run it decently.  I am sure you can still find them online...perhaps Morrowind Summit or something like that.

To answer Braedan's questions, I don't know if I would consider it an EQ "alternative", since it's single player only.  It can be played in either first or third person, just like EQ.  There are about as many classes as there are in EQ, but the thing is they aren't as different in practice as in EQ.  What defines a class are the skills they get...5 primary skills, 5 secondary skills, and then all the rest.  Any character can learn any of the skills...and you improve any skill by practicing it...but you only gain levels when your primary and secondary skills go up.  You can have a wizard running around in plate armor if you spend the time to train him in it.

It's hard to explain the game, so I'll probably just stop there.  I haven't played it in a while...I reloaded it when I got my new video card and the water was simply amazing graphically, but I went right back to EQ since I was more interested in that.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Taiglin

Had left EQ for almost 2 years. Started to get the gaming itch after I was laid off and picked up Morrowind. Hated it. The biggest pain in the butt is there are these buzzard and rats that you seem to be ALWAYS fighting as you move around. They grow in power relative to your own. Yes there are mods you can install to get them taken out but still a pain. What I found interesting is especially the people who had come out of an online game like EQ really missed the interaction. So many posts that contained screenshots of their weapon/gear caches in an attempt to share their experience. Taking great pains to lay things out in a nice precise way. Also didn't like the way they did mob respawn in dungeons. Just seemed....weird.

Years ago I played Total Annihilation. Was a decent single player game but a great game when you played in a networked environment. When I went back and played it single player it just sorta sucked. Similar thing here with me. If you are looking for something to replace EQ this probably isnt it. It had the opposite effect on me - drove me back into EQ because it just didn't have what I was looking for. YMMY of course. Had I not played EQ it might have been a different story.

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]

JillieMT

My favorite game is still Neverwinter Nights. But skip the official campaign! Horrid thing! (Although, the campaigns included with the expansion packs aren't quite so bad.)

Go get some FANTASTIC modules at NWVault.

I highly recommend Stefan Gagne's Penultima series. Please come with a sense of humor though...  :P
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio