Main Menu

I Chose Cleric over Druid

Started by gpofcore, March 08, 2005, 01:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpofcore

Chose the cleric over the druid. This was simply play style based, the cleric allows the bl to tank 100% and I like to tank. Cleric also allows for indoor pulling with pacify line and I like dungeon crawling. I finally gave up on the druid with the duo in the mid 40's and changed him out for a lvl 59 cleric I had. Reading here the druid combo does get better at later levels with better heals, dire charm and options like agro kiting. I prefer to tank and bl is doing fine. I do dump all his AA's into defense.

I prefer to 2 box but when I do LDON's I add my 61 shaman as a third. I let the bl slow so shaman can dot. Thought of changing shaman out for a necro but the shaman dot's are 5 and 7 ticks while the necro dot's are longer. Most LDON fights only last 5 or 6 ticks and the shaman is also available for big game stuff with big slow, malo and debuffs. I have left them lvl 64(bl), 63 and 61 so average is just under 63 and they get the lvl 60 LDON's (mobs lvl 55-56).

Other stuff:
In ldon's shrink down to smallest size and you can see through walls for scouting.

I've been using two melees so long it is easy for me. Put the second melee on auto follow and postion the bl as needed, a bl and his pet are two melees with pet on auto follow anyway. Use the cntrl+arrow keys for sliding the bl left and right.

My favorite 3 box was an LDON only group of bard war cleric (kept cleric 7 lvls below others)  with the war on auto follow.  Took them up to lvl 51. Would like to try bard bl cleric with bl slowing.

Worst LDON group I had was war shaman cleric. Couldn't get enough dps for LDON's but these were best at taking out red and yellow cons.

Et^Cetera

Cleric or Druid?  :|

This is the quandry that I have at the moment, and have had for the last few months. I went the Shaman route, mainly so I could pair it with my Paladin and still have a healer for the Beasty.

I play indoors alot so the Cleric would be better for spawn splitting, but then again, root 1, kill other and you should be able to split the spawn easy enough next pops.

Just as I decide Cleric, I then think, "ok, they heal and buff great ... and ...... and .... and...." and there it stops.  :|

Have a 36 Cleric and 24 Druid, and still cant decide which one to go for... so for the time being .. with stick with the Shaman.

/watches thread for usefull opinions

Cailus EtCetera with her trusty side kick Elllerton
Always lost, somewhere on AB.

jabby

ive done cleric, wiz, beastie and i *love* having the awesome cleric heals, buffs and pacify in a box - but i love having a druid also, even more i think.

I just started over on fv server with pally, druid, mage, chanter and its great so far. Druid heals really do suck until mid-upper 50's though, but after that they are fine.

druids just bring so much to a group - 2nd best direct heals, ports, evac, ensnare, DS, harmony, but also they can DPS against weaker content while your cleric may be standing there FM not contributing much. Druid LDoN dots rock, thier nukes and rains rock - the highest rain they get is like 1100 x 3.

<hugs his druid>

**edit** - i gave up on my druid   /sigh

went with Ranger, Cleric, Mage, Chanter - druids can do alot and so can pallys but its too damn busy.

Bulge

Considerations like these are the exact reason why I ended up 5-boxing. :) That, and a bucketload of left-over computerparts. :D

And I *still* lack a real tank...... ;)

Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.

Jaeren

At the end, I was two boxing beastlord & cleric or three boxing beastlord, druid, cleric.

Worked pretty well for me but I also had the druid given to me by a friend that was quitting. Was stripped naked but 65 druid with most spells and 72ish aa and he had been mostly a soloer so most of his aa were directed towards dmg. I'd pull & tank with the beastlord, make sure thorns were up from the druid and then dot up the mob and snare, etc. The cleric would throw in an occasional nuke (well, quite often as my cleric was the best geared as my technical main in a qvic enabled guild that needed clerics more than yet another beastlord :( ). It worked well for me and I didn't have all that many defensive aa really and sub-elemental gear. The clerics heals could make up the difference most of the time.

EQ - Morell Thule / Erollisi Marr (Retired):
[75 Beastlord] Jaeren (Barbarian)
[72 Cleric] Velissia (High Elf)
[69 Shaman] Sotar (Vah Shir)

WoW - Medivh (Retired):
[60 Rogue] Draeven (Undead)
[60 Priest] Lifesaver (Undead)
[56 Rogue] Klaien (Human)
[51 Paladin] Keidian (Human)

VSOH - Flamehammer (Retired)
[34 Disciple] Daevien (Half Elf)
[33 Bard] Pastorius (Kojani)
[26 Dread Knight] Draeven (Kojani)

Vahaus Warder

I used to two box my druid with my bard, beast, paladin. What ever. I love having druids as a secondary character, utility for porting, ds, heal, resists, snare. Just priceless.

jabby

well crap

i started over recently on FV with

mage chanter pally druid

but now im *really* missing the cleric heals. druid heals are ok, but they dont get those sweet HoT of the cleric. Im thinking of starting over yet again =p with either

mage chanter war cleric
mage wiz bst cleric

or who knows. but damn i do miss having the cleric in the mix.

gpofcore

Rez is critical through 50's and 60's especially if u fighting in out of the way places like I often do where there no chance to get a cleric.

Bl-cleric-druid sounds like fun, I never thought of that one.

Quote from: Et^Cetera on March 08, 2005, 01:21:52 PM
Cleric or Druid?  :|
This is the quandry that I have at the moment,
Does your cleric have the Innorok only snare necklace? If not you have to give the druid an extra point on that. I like the snare necklace. It slow and short duration but I like alot.

My first two box was a pally-shaman. They were great fun and very versatile but pally duo breaks down in later levels cause pacify maxes at lvl 55 mobs and offense caps at 235.

Memnarch

A little late to respond but anyways I trio with my roomate and it we play Mage, Beast,  and Cleric and its great.   The beast tanks/dps, mage is ds/dps/ and cleric i choose because its nice to have a rez, best hp buffs, and the best heals, and it helps alot since beasts aren't the best tanks.   All 3 chars are lvl 66 and we are doing fine, cleric has 22 aa's beast has 34 and the mage has 60.  As for trio'ing advs we did them alot in our 55-62 range to get our pet aug and we did them fine with about 30mins to spare.   And i think clerics are alot easier to "bot" as druids heh..

Kanj

For those of you who went with a druid... How is your druid holding up in DoN and OoW? I am really loving my druid right now with all of the utility they bring, but I am afraid that their heals won't be sufficient enough for the later levels.

Having snares, evacs and the added DPS is nice but is that enough justification to continue with them? Or will I find that in the end, cleric heals are a must?
Wildcaller Kanj
Vah Shir - Wildblood - Bertoxxulous

Bulge

Quote from: Kanj on March 27, 2005, 04:13:17 AM
For those of you who went with a druid... How is your druid holding up in DoN and OoW? I am really loving my druid right now with all of the utility they bring, but I am afraid that their heals won't be sufficient enough for the later levels.

Having snares, evacs and the added DPS is nice but is that enough justification to continue with them? Or will I find that in the end, cleric heals are a must?

I started out with a Druid as healer  for my BL(Duo) and then kept adding more classes to my group. The cleric was the 4th box, and I added him because I wanted the rez and the Pacify-line for LdOn. I always figured the Druid would be good enough for healing and I indeed used the Druid for healing a long time and my cleric was pretty much fiddling his thumbs all the time(his mana-pool was also low, since he lagged behind in levels). However a few months ago, I noticed a turningpoint. As soon as the Cleric got some serious HoT's and those ultrafast heals, I noticed I switched over to his healing and now my druid is pretty much all utility and for the rest  patch-healing.   I am doing DoN's with my group and I just entered into the level 65-mission range which means that the mobs hit rather hard again all of a sudden. :) My BL has mediocre gear and only 12 AA so not the best of tanks. This is where I started using the Cleric much, much more for healing.

Imo, a Cleric is vastly superior to a Druid when it comes to healing in the 60+ range, because of the HoT's and the ultra fast heal. I would *never* give up my Druid btw, (I MUST have Tracking and Ports, else I feel lost) but it is obvious to me that the Druid's healing-days are over. Still, the Druids utility is immense: Blessing of the Nine for HP buff and Manaregen(very important for my high DPS group with a Mage and NEcro thrown in the mix), Track, Snare, Ports( I port around a LOT, often in a single evening, I am dragging my group everywhere), Flight of Eagles, and lately I have started using Hand of Ro on pretty much every DoN mob, to debuff Attack and Fire resist (Mage and Druid nukes hit better) and I love it. My Druid nukes a lot, next to my mage he is my best nuker.

If you have to choose between Druid and Cleric, it's a trade-off: Cleric will allow you to take on harder zones/stuff, also because of rez, but Druid will bring many little things that might fit your playstyle. However, if I wasn't a Track and Port junkie, I would let the Druid go and definately choose a Cleric. So if you can live without Track and Ports, definately go Cleric.
Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.