Main Menu

When do I replace my Ethereal Destroyer?

Started by Kebrarn, September 13, 2004, 10:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thanatos

It was mentioned that at 250 dex, MH procs 2/minute and OH procs 1/minute.

Does going above 250 dex improve this?

Oneiromancer

Yes, just diminishing returns.  According to Coprolith's spreadsheet, I get a 11% increase in proc rate by increasing my DEX from 250 to 305.  Increasing DEX above that should increase proc rate more, but it isn't implemented in the spreadsheet yet (I assume it needs to be all parsed out).

Going into a bit more detail, using the spreadsheet, I see that from 100 to 250 DEX, every 50 points my dps goes up by 4.09 exactly, which is diminishing returns in terms of % increase.  Going from 250 to 305 only increased my dps by 2.72.  (This is using a Dedgerex's Flintforged Cudgel and WA3, mileage may vary.)  So yes, diminishing returns, but still not inconsequential.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Coprolith

Actually in the spreadsheet there is a hard cap on the proc rate. The base proc rate caps out at 2x/min MH and 1x/min OH at 284 DEX. Final proc rate still gets the WA modifiers of course, but dex above 284 does nothing. But it's just an approximation for calculating purposes. The truth is we don't know if there's a soft or hard cap on proc rates in the game and at which DEX the soft or hard cap would occur. It'd take weeks of continuous parsing to tell the difference between proc rates above 250. All we know for sure is that there is a clear linear increase in proc rate with DEX up to 250, and somewhere at or above 250 something changes because the linear behaviour below 250 doesnt extrapolate to the proc rate at 305 DEX. So i had two choices. Either implement a soft cap, that is diminishing returns between 250 and 305, or extrapolate the linear behaviour right up to the hard cap, which then happened to coincide at 284 DEX. Either way, the actual error in dps is very small and the latter option was simply easier to implement. But please, don't consider the results from the spreadsheet as if its been proven that there is either a hard or a soft cap. Besides, with the statistical variation in proc rates being what it is, you'd never notice the difference anyway during real gameplay.
Perhaps now that the stat caps have increased again we'd be able to see a change in proc rate in less parse time and thus prove the nature of the cap, but i wouldn't get my hopes up.

/hugs
Elder Coprolith III
Trollie ferrul lawd of 65 levels (retired)

Eatbugs

QuotePerhaps now that the stat caps have increased again we'd be able to see a change in proc rate in less parse time and thus prove the nature of the cap, but i wouldn't get my hopes up.

With the new Shaman overstat buffs, it looks possible to get Dex over 400 - if there's not a cap, it may be that parsing with 400+ dex would show a proc rate difference in a reasonable amount of time.  (I'm not sure what the point of 400+ dex would be if there isn't a proc rate increase, but then I've given up expecting anything about stats in EQ to be logical.)
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal

Coprolith

Well the problem with buffed stats is that you have to periodically re-buff them, which makes the parsing a lot more tedious. You really want to go to Katta and beat up poor Bella while you sleep for this. Doing this in xp sessions is very difficult because you need to determine your weapon up-time manually; EQC or Yalp will give you the fight time which is not the same thing unless you're doing one continuous parse.
If you want to minimize the time necessary then your best bet for parsing this out is with a cleric. A beastlord with a Fiery Staff of Zha (150% base rate modifier) and WA5 could get to 4.5 procs/min (and possibly a bit higher now), whereas a cleric could go as high as 12.6 procs/min with a summoned hammer (630% rate modifier).

/hugs
Elder Coprolith III
Trollie ferrul lawd of 65 levels (retired)