Main Menu

Do you use root and rot tactics?

Started by Taiglin, February 05, 2004, 07:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiglin

As a 2 boxed Bst/Dru set I usually do the normal deal where I melee along side my pet getting heals and whatnot from the Dru. Went to EQDruids the other day and wound up reading how they solo the dudes in UP that drop the armor they like (E some such). Anyway, on these mobs that con up to yellow to these lvl 55ish toons, they employ the tactic of rooting and then stacking DoTs. One guy said that was like an 11 min process for him and w/o KEI he was down to 2 bulbs of mana or less at the end besides the overall fairly high level of danger.

Anyway, the point of bringing that up isn't to call for a nerf or anything as much as it got me thinking of alternate ways of fighting with my two. I can see a hybrid of the Dru root n rot tactic combined with a stepped up pet cleric one maybe. Other then seeming to be fairly mana intensive I would think a downfall would be the difference in levels between the pet and mob. Does anyone out there employ a version of this tactic? Would be interesting to get some ideas. The relevance to me is I have been fighting in Dulak as 45 Bst / 44 Dru in an attempt to get the Dru drops for their quested healing spell. While certainly doable the mobs aren't pushovers at this level with solo fights lasting well over 1 min requiring several casts of heal (usually cast when Bst gets between 70-75%hp). Am not sure how much more efficient this is vs root/rot and haven't had a chance in the last few days to test it out. Would love some ideas/thoughts.

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]

Salebi

If you want to use it specifically for Dulak those mobs don't like to stay rooted. But the technique works real well most other places outside of LoY.

Also, many times any type of direct damage to a mob will break a root, so using your warder on a rooted mob will likely not work out too well.

Mortan

That really wouldn't work very. Most of the good BL DOT's have a DD component built in, so every time you'd have to recast your DOT's you stand a chance of root breaking. Pet wouldn't be able to melee, as every time he proccs root can break. While it's trivial to re root the mob, it's mana lossed and less efficent.

An alternate tactic you might consider tho is playing cleric for your Warder, and letting the druid DOT away. You wouldn't have to worry about the pesky root breaks, and you'll be contributing alot more DPS. I've never tried it myself, but in theory it might work. I don't think it would be more efficent in the long run, but it would probably up your DPS some.

Hrisha

44 dru is not the best rotter around, even with the clicky 34 dot arms at 45th.  My personal opinion would be wait to rott till dru is 53rd and has winged death (and perhaps whatever that fire based dot is at 52nd too, I never used that tho as it was fizzle and resist happy for my alt-spec dru -- in Bruning Wood before LOY)

I tend to think a dru/bl is a better tank mob type duo.

Mindlet

That info on the UP mobs is out of date. They summon now.

On to other ways you can use a druid/BL combo.  For mobs that hit too hard to tank you can use the kite method. The druid gets aggro with snare then kites. Keep casting fast cast high aggro spells like debuffs. The BL sends in the pet and can do some nukes. I have seen this used very well in HOH.

Taiglin

Thanks for the info guys. Figured there was probably a reason I hadn't read anything about it before and didn't realize DD breaks root. That's what a 2 yr break will do to you though.

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]

Rhugan

HeHe  If nukes didnt break root, them darn wizzies would be king of solo.

Mindlet

Quote from: RhuganHeHe  If nukes didnt break root, them darn wizzies would be king of solo.

But they are. :D

Rumtum Tugger

Here is how I got my druid the Elysian tunic:

I usually run the beast and two box the druid.  To do it easily is to reverse it.  I set beast up with pet in the corner and then snare and dot with druid.  Let one set of dots wear off then send in pet to follow with snow or flame to reduce agro and kite.  Druid takes no damage, beast takes no damage, and pet dies at 10% almost every time.  I usually had more then enough mana to kill three in 12 minutes as oppesed to 1 every 11 minutes.  At the time, beast was 58 druid was 57.  

If you are wondering why pet dies, well snare never stops them from moving even at low health and they never run.  Even snared and feared they move away rapidly and never root at the end.  So, at 10% the mob turns on the pet and kills it so fast /backoff never has a chance.

The only Elysian that summons is the corrupted, so careful on the pulls, harmony if need be, and run a triangular path in the safe valley.  Lather rinse repeat.  Oh yeah, if you get bored, bring a ranger that is working on archery skills.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=732264" target="_blank" class="postlink">Rumtum Tugger
65 Beast
Lanys
"Back.  Back off.  Gah, you stupid cat, where are you going? ..... TRAIN!"