Main Menu

Spell department gone?

Started by Dummkopf, March 02, 2006, 07:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dummkopf

QuoteAs of this week I've taken a position on another game team working on an unannounced title here at SOE.  It was a difficult decision for me to make as I still love EverQuest.  Ultimately after 4 and a half years, 9 expansions, and what seems like a million spells it's time for me to move on to something new.  I wish I could tell you more about the project I'm moving to, but you'll hear about it soon enough!  When you do, I hope you'll be as excited to play it as I am to work on it.

My time on this team has been great, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  I've very much enjoyed working with all of the players that have participated in all of the betas, and all the people that took the time to send me feedback on all manner of issues.  Thanks for making us make this game better.

I'll still be around a bit to address some lingering issues and answer a few questions on the boards if needed, and I'm sure I'll run into many of you in other games.  Until then, thanks for playing the game that our team has put so much of our hearts into!

-Ryan

Hope he still fixes Oroshar as one of the lingering issues... (or we might get at last some real spells after he's gone).

Tastian

I spoke with him just a tidge ago.  Not sure what he'll get to fixing, but I went over a few things.  Not sure who the new person will be, but the sooner I find out, the sooner I'll start re-sending them the e-mails I sent ry lol.  8P

Merescata

So Tas does that mean you have ALL the e-mails to Ry archived?  Will the 'Top 10' list be reviewed?  Since many think that BL's are generally overlooked, will we get any better attention to our class?

Inquiring minds (and trolls too) want to know....

Merescata
75 Vah Shir BST
Tribunal
Clan McEye

Shamno

Quote from: Merescata on March 03, 2006, 01:57:24 AM
So Tas does that mean you have ALL the e-mails to Ry archived?  Will the 'Top 10' list be reviewed?  Since many think that BL's are generally overlooked, will we get any better attention to our class?

Inquiring minds (and trolls too) want to know....

I am pretty sure the new guy will get swamped with other classes spell issues as well....I know generally rangers really hate Rytan *shrug* I really don't think much things will change in the aspect in more attention, but mroe of a different outlook on how he sees things.

Kroe

I don't think any class 'hated' Rytan more than shaman did.  That being said, they (and I) am optimistic that a new perspective from whoever takes over the position may do wonders, only time will tell.

Wreckers - Bertoxxulous - Saryrn

Tastian

I am an information whore in case you couldn't tell.  I have...

-  Every e-mail I've ever sent or received regarding EQ (actually have letter for entering P2 beta from brad somewhere in some room)
-  Every PM I've ever gotten or sent
-  Every minute of EQ time every beastlord I've played has spent in EQ, in Beta, on test server
-  Every draft of every top 10 list

As far as ry going I think it'll depend a lot.  There were some specific things ry was going to work on and it'll depend how the new person sees and handles things.  I plan to start a new thread so I can make sure most spell issues are up to date and try to present things as to the point as possible for the new person who I know will be flooded once appointed.  How it will work out I honestly don't know, but anyone that is good at making brownies or something and wants to help me start bribing a new person please PM me.  8P

jitathab

Why dont you apply for the job Tastian :) Will save about 3 billion hours re-explaining it

Tastian

I'd take the job in a heartbeat, but it won't happen. 

Also, I think most of the issues are very cut and dry and in many cases I've even got rough numbers to make it easier for someone to look at things and go "hrmmm I think that's reasonable" or "nahhhh that's not what I'd like to see there".  Then it falls into a debate, but I'm pretty sure I've got some stuff from other conversations I could just copy/paste.  8P

Discordant

I think in general the entire EQ community, save a few classes, is glad that Rytan is gone.  I know I am.

hakaaba

Im wondering if we can get our heals fixed finally? lol

Didn't you say even rytan admitted they were stupid?

Arch Animist of Bertox (Saryrn (Mithaniel Marr))

Rarrum

I think something along those lines was said... might have said something about adjusting trushar's and muada's I beleive to bring their mana cost in line... but don't recall the exacts of it.

I'd take whatever rytan wrote and forward it straight to the new guy so he knows it's something that was supposed to have be looked at.

Tastian

Yeah ry admitted they were fubar and was going to bring them inline, but more things kept coming up.  I have spoken with him a few times and will likely have him pass on info to the new person.  Have also spoken with rash about a few issues to make sure they are known and although I can't disclose anything atm there are a few issues we've had that they are very well aware of and looking into.  Soon as some things are definite I'll try to release more information, but for now all I can do is let people know that things are still happening and that spell issues didn't just poof with ry moving to a new game.

Chickennuggets

So who do we have to send the case of Scotch over to?  (As a welcome  gift from the Beastlord community  :-D)  I suppose he will be trying to keep his name out of it for as long as possible... inc bombardment of e-mail.
Chickennugets  http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1226640
Lvl 70 Beastlord
Steel and Honor
Saryn server

Shamno

I really don't see where the blame for spell issues lay entirely on Ry at all. Grant it he was the lead in this area, but don't most things have to go through Q and A before being approved and changed?

Chickennuggets

Not sure what the higher archy was/is... but I know that he was the main go to guy for spells.  I kinda feel a little bad for the new guy... just my opinion here, but I feel as though he is going to get bombarded by all the classes trying to get themselves looked at by fresh eyes.  I'm sure he isn't some random Joe off the street, and has been shadowing Ry (as soon as he made his decision) to get a grip on what he is doing.  He has more than likely been working right beside/under him for some time now anyway.  But he is fresh meat to all the casting classes, and everybody thinks their class needs tuning/improvement.  It wouldn't be too bad for him if all the class correspondants (took a few different tries for the word correspondant, what do you call yourself these days?) were like Tast, but sadly we are the only lucky ones in that aspect.
Chickennugets  http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1226640
Lvl 70 Beastlord
Steel and Honor
Saryn server