Main Menu

New login poll...

Started by Tastian, June 03, 2004, 07:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tastian

Did I just get asked by SoE if I think it's a good if they allow a way to safely trade in-game items for Real life money?

MajinFro

might just mean that they are looking for way to cut yantis out of the picture and make some money themselves.

Lorathir

QuoteDo you think it's a good idea to provide a safe method for players to transfer in-game items and charecters to one another for real money?

Choices

Don't care
Yes
No

I selected No, unsurprisingly.
I'll be short and to the point - if this goes through I'm cancelling my account. Yeah I know, drama schmarma. But this is a game breaker for me.

(This post comes complete with a small Helicopter. Colour is black.)

Ragash

If that poll is still there when I get home from work I won't even bother answering.

I'll quietly go to the Account button, click cancel and not log in ever again.
Iggy the Wonder Gecko and his pet Savage Lord Ragash

Saerison

As it stands my wife can understand how i spent the monthly fee on the game to play it.  So, I for the life of me could never get her to understnad spending our earned income on something we can not touch and adds nothing to our lives together.

I will be chosing No tonight.

Naib

Quote from: RagashIf that poll is still there when I get home from work I won't even bother answering.

I'll quietly go to the Account button, click cancel and not log in ever again.

Give me your phat lootz first! =P and the plat :)
I will make a killing selling it to other players :)

Bulge

Voted No on all my 5 accounts. I Box, I Twink, I Powerlevel, but all my chars are homegrown and all their items are looted by me personally. I guess I have some integrity left. ;)

I think buying stuff legally somewhere in the future is unstoppable by the way, but if we all keep saying NO then at least they will be making *some* games that will turn away from sort of thing, even though we will see mmorpgs too that legalize this.
Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.

Ragash

Quote from: NaibGive me your phat lootz first! =P and the plat :)
I will make a killing selling it to other players :)

:lol:

My lewtz might make you enough money to buy a cup of coffee...as long as its not Starbuck's.
Iggy the Wonder Gecko and his pet Savage Lord Ragash

Rhajah

First - I agree with you and admire your stand in voting a big "No".

However, it's important to balance idealism with reality.  In-game characters and items are being sold daily on multiple web sites and through other underground channels on a multi-million dollar level - believe it or not.  It's going to happen regardless of how "wrong" it is or how much you disagree with it.  And believe you me, I disagree with it too.  It cheapens the game as well as introduces a variety of problems.  However, what we have to remember is that wherever there are people who value time over money - for whatever reason, whether it may be laziness or some other reason, there is going to be a demand for a service like this.   The real question, as one poster already mentioned, is who is making the money and what safeguards are put in place to protect a buyer's/seller's interest.  Frankly, I'm amazed it took Sony this long to actually propose it.  If they had introduced a safe, organized system for something like this ages ago, many problems might have been avoided.  Now don't misunderstand me - I'm not encouraging the practice or supporting Sony's proposal.  I'm just saying that if you're going to continue to involve yourself in Everquest, it's a reality - formalized and sanctioned or not.  It's simply a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils - or as Capt. Jack Aubrey said - "the lesser of two weavels". :)

To those that want to cancel their account, I'd say I wouldn't blame you one bit.  I agree wholeheartedly.  Just realize that this has been going on for over two years now and that on the whole, even if this proposal turned into policy (which I doubt, based on player reaction), the 'cheapening' of the game began a very, very long time ago, whether everyone was aware of the scale of it or not.  Such a policy will simply encourage more people to do it and keep them scam-free while they do it.

Just my 2cp.

Liga

This poll is a smokescreen.  They are going to do it regardless of what the people think.  It makes business sense to get a cut of this action.  Its not like it will cost them more overhead than profit.  Obviously, IGE/Yantis make a buttload from it.  So they are going to sink their money grubbing hands into it.  Dont fool yourself into thinking it'll never happen for EQ.

Alerka

If they go through with this I am canceling all my accounts, end of story.

Chubaka

Why even help the people that want to sell there stuff.

Just put up an online order form on the EQ site.  Place your order, pay your 500 bucks, log in and type /claim and suddenly 1,000,000pp appear on your cursor.
Chubaka
65 Beast
Terris Thule

Magelo
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=934088

Oneiromancer

Quote from: NaibCIHYS?

FTFY  ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  CIHYS = "Can I Have Your Stuff", and FTFY = "Fixed That For You"

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Atropine_BB

As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to continue playing EQ regardless of what happens in terms of this situation.

You've got to realize that this is already going on... on a very large scale.  Whomever these big players in this virtual online market are... are making enough money to make Sony flinch, and think that maybe they are missing out on a nice little money making venture.

So, it is my conclusion that if a person really wants to spend RL money on in-game platinum and items, they will.  Period.  They can either go through some scumbag company like yantis, or they can go through SoE.  Personally I'd rather the profit go to SoE than scumbag yantis.  Maybe SoE can use it to hire more devs to fix broken content.
Elder Atropine Invictus
Beastlord Bard Ranger || Cleric Druid

Otuol

Well, for those that don't agree with what SOE is doing, take a look at how America operates now.  It's a capitalistic country.  This country revolves around making profits and maximizing those profits.  We have gone from a more industrial country to a service one.

As other people mention, this is going on rampantly on other websites.  I will continue to play the game because I have fun with it.  If the person next to me decided to spend their hard earned money (maybe easily earned for some), then that's their own asinine decision.  To spend money on a virtual object that nets you no gain in your daily activities is pure inanity.  There will always be someone with better 'stuff' than you have.  It just seems the competition with the Jones' is in full steam on EQ. :roll: