Main Menu

SoE's treatment of Zerkers

Started by Ukator Iceblood, August 06, 2004, 10:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ukator Iceblood

Berserkers are being mistreated by SoE right now. Figure I would post this due to the fact that it took a while before we were brought up to the place we are now:darn good class, solid and fun to play.
They still don't have class AA, their discs are still somewhat broken, and its been longer than it took for beastlords.
I know a lot of beasties have a zerker alt, but I figured I would let some others know how they have been mistreated.
Ukator Iceblood and Wolf
70 Beastlord

Kator Kerrath
Berserker

Tunare's Benevolence
Xegony

Alerka

It always seemed to me that Sony ran out of class idea around the time of GoD. I have never played a Berserker (don't even have the expansion) so I am totally ignorant on the class.

It seems like an ill-concieved class. Berserker to me sounds even less appealing than warrior. I've grouped with zerkers before and all they seemed like was very unimpressive warriors.

Ukator Iceblood

That is what they are now. Well they can snare, and stun, but they have no aas different than warrior ones.
Ukator Iceblood and Wolf
70 Beastlord

Kator Kerrath
Berserker

Tunare's Benevolence
Xegony

Bengali

People said the same thing about beastlords on release, almost to the letter, although you could replace "warriors" with "shamans".  Beastlords also had no class specific aa on release, and for a long time afterward (it was either around PoP's release or a relatively short time before then that we got them).  All sorts of things were flat out busted for months, and we didn't even know if anyone was listening.

The difference is that with the top 10 lists, class correspondents, and the like, the lines of communication are much more open.  There's certainly room for hope.
Savagespirit Bengali Grimmspirit, Scion of Shar Vahl

"My friend Mark said that he saw Bengali totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.
And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Xarilok

Just delete the silly class and be done with it.  They have no role or place in EQ as it is today, and should have never been put in the game in the first place.

Every time I see a 'zerker, the only thing I can think of is "would you like to suck my c***, berserker?" lol.

Berserkers are basically what, rangers that cant track or dw or use bows?  No thanks.

Class AA idea for berserkers:  Ranger Gate (teleports you instantly to your bind spot, with all worldly belongings remaining at the point you last were) cast time instant, reuse instant 12AA hehehe
Venerable Xarilok Loungelizard - 62 Beastlord and Cat-Hater extrordinaire.

Kreseth

adding another pure melee class to the game was retarded...should have been a hybrid.  Berserkers in  chain with big, slow weapons and wizard nukes they can cast between swings or something like that.

--Kreseth

Yiktiki

Beastlords were released w/ SoL in December... we didn't get our final fix until almost the same time a year later when PoP came out.  

Berserkers came out in February?

I don't think they are being picked on.  I understand their frustration, cuz we had it too, but its not some nefarious scheme by SOE, its just that there are a lot of things that need to be done.  I would bet that OoW will see some improvements for them.  I think they are doing ok... it just seems worse because its easier (lots) to get to 65 now... and thats where they are lacking.
Starlighte - Tauren Druid - Level 70
Misscreant - Blood Elf Warlock - Level 70
Kilrogg Server

RETIRED
Elder Yiktiki Tumbo - Feral Lord
Starlighte Starbrighte - Pocket Druid
Luclin Server

neight

Quote from: XarilokJust delete the silly class and be done with it.  They have no role or place in EQ as it is today, and should have never been put in the game in the first place.

What role or place in EQ did Beastlords have during Luclin?

Neight
Neight Wulfe <Requiem>
75 Barbarian Beastlord
The Tribunal

Bengali

Quote from: XarilokJust delete the silly class and be done with it.  They have no role or place in EQ as it is today, and should have never been put in the game in the first place.

If I had a nickel for every time someone posted that exact same quote about beastlords back in the day .....
Savagespirit Bengali Grimmspirit, Scion of Shar Vahl

"My friend Mark said that he saw Bengali totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.
And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Mindlet

Quote from: Yiktiki
Berserkers came out in February?

It shouldn't matter if Berserkers came out last week they still should have all theri abilities available on release not 6-12 months after they are introduced. Adding a half finished class to the game is retarted in the extreme and theres no excuse for it.

That said I don't think Berserkers should be in that game in the first place.

Yiktiki

My point was only that it took almost a full year before Beastlords saw completion.

Berserkers have a couple issues that make them a touchy area to balance in that they are:

a) another chain class (already had a lot of competition there)
b) supposed to be a DPS class (the other DPS classes will be pissed if they are negated)

I'm not sure it was a great idea to bring a new class in either, you can have too many and I think the SOE dev team is learning that the hardway.  I can also see them doing the class as a showcase for new things they had recently created, namely endurance and melee abilities.

That being said... I agree wholy that a class should be DONE when they release it, not 'left blank so you could help us determine a role'.  Flimsy excuse, they were trying too hard to please too many, they should take a hard line on classes and balance.
Starlighte - Tauren Druid - Level 70
Misscreant - Blood Elf Warlock - Level 70
Kilrogg Server

RETIRED
Elder Yiktiki Tumbo - Feral Lord
Starlighte Starbrighte - Pocket Druid
Luclin Server

Bulge

I did not understand the reasoning behind adding another class like the Berserker myself, I'll admit.

What I would like to see is another race, with a new Startingcity and newbiegrounds, and new Lore. :) I understand that this is costly to implement, but you'd at least not have to balance an entirely new class, which is tough also.   People like to start anew, both with a new class or a new race, and they may have had more success if they'd implemented a dog-race (gnolls?) or some. There's still so many options: Gnolls, Kobolds, Goblins, Orcs.

With their promise  to return to the roots of Norrath Lore in future expansions (hopefully sidelining the whole Morden Rasp era), I would enjoy seeing new zones based on one of those archaic races.
Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.

Goretzu

They basically nerfed Berserkers HIDEOUSLY hard just before the end of GoD beta and to some degree changed the class with those nerfs.

And then pushed them live with about a week of testing (which is quite a lot for SoE I suppose :)).  :roll:

Even if they'd let the pre-nerf Beta Berserker (which was IMO more what a real 'Berserker' should be) go live it'd still have been a weaker class, but after the nerfs and with the things not added and the things that just didn't work they were pretty terrible indeed.

Currently even if they sort out the broken abilities and add AA's etc. there's still no reason really most people would really WANT a Berserker in their group.

Tastian

Zerkers simply weren't the type of class they should have added to EQ.  There were a couple different directions they could have went, but zerker was definitely the wrong call imo.  That being said the berserkers are getting work and they are only waiting on mostly code atm.  Their AAs are mostly set and some of them are fairly cool/kinda goofy.  Right now Zerker AAs are getting done before OoW AAs.  I do think it's annoying that it takes so long, but I've just come to accept it and go with the flow.  At this point though they are getting a lot of attention, the issues are very clear and it's just going to take a bit more time for things to get finished up.

Alerka

This is probably because I don't have GoD and know nothing about Berserkers, but if I was a group leader, I'd choose just about any class over a berserker when lining up a group.