Main Menu

Beasty making bad impression

Started by Gnarloth, January 22, 2004, 02:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funzo

Well, somehow the word on how to play bsts gets out there. I had a group in PoV pull me in today and when I got to them, I had a good laugh to myself because I was the third beastlord in the group. I had even more laughs watching as the three of us would make almost the same moves at the same time when it came to pet positioning. We eventually just formed a triangle and had the puller bring the mob right into the center.

I'm sure this player was made aware of the proper way to work a beastlord the very next group he had with one.
Funzo Frantic, 65 Male Vah Shir Beastlord - Ayonae Ro

http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=977636

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Furlyne

I can't remeber where I read it, but this all reminds me of a quote.

Saying you have a beastlord alt is like saying, "I breath air"

Kherryn

Think that came from the warrior board, off one of the mods there (Shikarii, to be precise).

(Note: This was back in october of last year, before the warrior improvements when warriors were very touchy on the tanking ability of pretty much every class out there because it was literally all they had and others were so good you didn't have any special bonus to having a warrior tank)

Dakat

Sucks grouping with another beastlord or 2 and all they do is sit on their Dogma's in the back while you do all the work like pulling, slowing and meleeing.

Whiptail_Warclaw

I've meet one or two Beastlords that have asked what I'm doing meleeing instead of pet clericing. like I'm weird or something? i love to get in and get my hands dirty. Make a cleric if you want to heal all the time.
Baron Whiptail "Mr Whippy" Warclaw
Iksar Savage Lord of 62 seasons.
Drinal server.
- Created: October 09, 2003.
Bringing ice-cream to the people of Norrath for the last 62 seasons...

"The only thing worse than one Beastlord, is six Beastlords, in a group, in the same zone as you... We'll try and leave you a few mobs."

Phurbi

Every class has idiots, some classes are much more prone to it than others...
Phurbi - Feral Lord
Ten out of ten people die, so don't take life too seriously.

Hrann

I'm sorry, but I have trouble seeing the usefulness of pet clericing at all.  In the beginning, before it was clear what we could do, I could understand it.  But I'd think by now that everyone would have realized that pet clericing is simply not efficient and basically limits our usefulness severly.

Occasionally, while soloing, one may want to back out and rest while the pet fights, but never in a group.  I would never describe someone who does that as knowing what he was doing.

TheOriginalGronker

Quote from: HrannBut I'd think by now that everyone would have realized that pet clericing is simply not efficient and basically limits our usefulness severly.

Occasionally, while soloing, one may want to back out and rest while the pet fights, but never in a group.  I would never describe someone who does that as knowing what he was doing.

Yikes the arrogance.  I must have no clue since not only do I think pet clericing can be efficient but I've done it (or variations of it) for most of my way to 65.

I pet clericed a ton from ~15 all the way thru to 62/64 or so when soloing.  Don't even try and tell me its more efficient to be fighting toe-to-toe - I would have gotten my butt handed to me so many times its not even funny.  If you are twinked sure you can stand up there longer, even then I suspect that won't be the case as much as you seem to think.  For sure in my 30s there was no way I'd be taking the melee damage for more than 25% of the fight because the downtime was horrendous.  And there was no real reason to ... my own DPS was horrid compared to my warder's until .. hmm ... level 55-or-so?

How about .. iI would never describe someone that thinks a BST should be able to stand toe-to-toe with all of their foes as someone who knows what they are doing.  Don't spout off drivvel that makes new BSTs feel bad about themselves as soon as they leave PC because they can't solo tank a DB and not have to med/bandage for the next 5 minutes.  Or those level 60s that end up wondering why they cant solo a PoN tree tank-style.

On the original post however, of course if you are sitting there with a healer there is no reason to be pet clericing unless the healer is OOM.  But thats obvious ...

Hrann

Personally, I've never worn anything that I didn't loot or buy from the bazaar with money I made with this beastlord (ok, a friend did give me 1 PSU when I was level 24, it was uber).  I don't really have much against twinking, but I didn't engage in it myself.

Now, as to your response regarding pet clericing, I ask you to read this part of my post again, which you yourself quoted:
QuoteOccasionally, while soloing, one may want to back out and rest while the pet fights, but never in a group.
While soloing, especially in the lower levels, there is often the need to back out and rest and let the pet fight.  However, if you are not standing toe-to-toe with the mob at all, your hps are not regening, and I can categorically state that you are not being as efficient as someone who was tanking for at least a little while.
When in a group, there is never a reason to pet cleric, unless you are fighting extremely tough mobs AND your group is completely a pet group, and even then the above paragraph about fighting at least some of the time applies.

My post came out of the posts further up within this thread from people that stated they were in LDoN groups with people that pet clericed.  I stand by my original post - anyone doing this needs to learn a little more.

TheOriginalGronker

Quote from: HrannI ask you to read this part of my post again, which you yourself quoted:
QuoteOccasionally, while soloing, one may want to back out and rest while the pet fights, but never in a group.
That statement isn't that bad (though I would have much less objections if the wording was more like "While soloing there are times where you will want to back off and let the pet fight while you heal and regain mana" rather than having the bit of rhetoric in there than makes it sound 'bad' to do so.

Anyways, I felt your other generic statements were wrong.

Quote from: Hrann
My post came out of the posts further up within this thread from people that stated they were in LDoN groups with people that pet clericed.  I stand by my original post - anyone doing this needs to learn a little more.
There is no mention about pet clericing in LDoN in this thread btw, the ONLY instance of pet clericing prior to your post saying that pet clericers don't know what they are doing was this:

Quote from: Whiptail_WarclawI've meet one or two Beastlords that have asked what I'm doing meleeing instead of pet clericing. like I'm weird or something? i love to get in and get my hands dirty. Make a cleric if you want to heal all the time.

Which you followed with:
Quote from: HrannI'm sorry, but I have trouble seeing the usefulness of pet clericing at all.  <snip> I would never describe someone who does that as knowing what he was doing.

Can you see why I would get all excited about that?  If not, thats fine.  But I posted a rebuttle to ensure that any readers don't get discouraged if they need to 'pet cleric' more often than not.

HetBix

I did an LDoN once where I didn't melee for more than, say, a third of the time.

I did some pet clericing, but not much.

No enchanter, no bard, no shaman. :)
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=771398">Hetfield
Retired Savage Lord of the Tribunal
Mithaniel Marr

Milflet
Gnomish Warrior Princess
http://www.returnersguild.com">The Returners
Stormrage

Scalewulf

Define Pet Clericing.  

Sitting back and letting pet do all the work is not efficient at all in the latter levels.  well, it's not effecient at any time because your melee/defensive skills will suck ass.  

I cannot remember a time at all, that the pet tanked better than me.  I have better heals for the pet, true.  But mitigating damage, etc..  not even comparable.  

the /pet hold AA and summoners boon has allowed it to be feasible now.  Simply because after pe gets agro, I can /pet hold + /pet guard here and let her regen.  

When I was lower level, I would pull at 75% health and tank to 25%, let pet finish them while I bandaged.  This to me was more efficient than the shitty heal we get early on and saved much mana for everything else.  

But to just pet cleric is severly handicapping yourself and not doing much to learn all the different tactics that are at your disposal as a BST.  And learning the different tactics will only help you and the people that group with you later down the road.  

IMO

Phurbi

Quote from: ScalewulfI cannot remember a time at all, that the pet tanked better than me.
The focused\buffed (IoS, kragg, virt) pet tanks noticably better than I do right now, non-focused pet was marginally better.  Admittedly I'm only at ~1200AC...

As I've always dual boxed when "solo", pet clericing has never been an issue  :P
Phurbi - Feral Lord
Ten out of ten people die, so don't take life too seriously.

Scalewulf

Well, then your pet has better luck than mine.  Give me virtue, give my pet virtue we go against the same mob and I will last much longer.  

My pet gets hit for max damage much more than I do and it's always been that way for me.  

Now if you have shitty hp gear and pet has twice your hp's, that's another thing entirely.

Hrann

OK, you're right, they didn't say it was a LDoN group.  But this is what I was referring to:
QuoteTwice I've grouped with Beastlords that did not Melee. One of them knew what he was doing, had his WIS maxxed and kept his Warder buffed and healed.
Anyway I much prefer being called wrong than arrogant, so at least that's something of an improvement :)

I tank better than my pet, but I'm sure there were times when the opposite was true.  However it was sitll not a good idea just to sit and watch them tank.  It's still better to tank as much as you can and then sit to regen.