Main Menu

What level should I start AA's?

Started by Inflictor, August 25, 2004, 04:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inflictor

Didn't see any threads on the subject, so figured I'd ask.

Just dinged 51 and an officer in my guild advised me to wait till 60 to start working on AA's, and was hoping for some other input on the subject. Not that I don't trust their judgement, just like to have lots of input.
Inflictor
BeastLord of the 57th Scale

Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain.

Tastian

You didn't see any threads?  hrmmm well here's what I found on the first 2 pages of this forum...

http://www.beastlords.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=325

http://www.beastlords.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3108

There are lots more and some in various sections too (the sewers lol).  If you had more specific questions or more information then you'd also get some more replies from people.  No idea if you are in a family guild or raiding guild.  If you have spells or not, how casual you play, what your wants are, etc.  It's a very person by person thing and ultimately you should do what you want and feel is best for you.  Not sure what your exact situation is, but waiting until around 60 can be a good idea as AAs are slower at first and you get some nice boosts from actually leveling via spells.

Xarilok

I assume you are iksar from your sig, so NEVER ever split AA/EXP.  Either put 100% in one or the other.

The boost in power you get from 51-60 is HUGE.  The boost from 60-62 is also large, but not as big.  Doing AA before you get the level 60 slow is just foolhardy.  I like the boost in power that I got from the level 62 pet, which is why I level up to 62 before I started grinding AA.

Grinding AA at 51 is basically the same work as it would be to get to 52, while I can get an AA at 62 in less time than I would take to get 10% more regular exp.

There is no way a level 51 could get AA even half as fast as a level 62+ could, even in a group, so long as the group is killing appropriate content, and not simply there to PL the beastlord.
Venerable Xarilok Loungelizard - 62 Beastlord and Cat-Hater extrordinaire.

Hereki

It's a personal choice, based on how you want to experience the game.  One strategy that is often recommended strongly is to level to 65 before getting any AAs - there may be a big difference in your capabilities, but people will group with your regardless.

I mostly agree with Xarilok on this.  An AA at 51 takes a long time; but at 55/56 you can get one about as fast as at 61/62.  You can only get AAs really fast if you are in a group (62+), or already have a lot of AAs.

The most valuable AAs for you (in terms of you ability to get AAs faster) are Paragon, BF, and CA.  BF is level dependent, and requires you be at 61+; CA requires you to have 6 AAs in general; and Paragon requires 6 in general plus 12 in archetype.

If you are happy to stay at a level for a relatively long time, and find a spot where you can get experience fast, consider turning on AAs.

JillieMT

I am a solo'er, and here is what I did.

As soon as I got 51, I stopped for Run3. It's that important in my opinion. I had a nice Waning Light Katar now waiting in the bank, so I went for 55 as soon as possible now!

At 55 I stopped and got Regen 3.

At 62 I stopped and started racking up AA's as I gathered my 63+ spells. I had to save up money to buy the spells as I am not a really big grouper (except for LDoN's when I find the time) and not a raider. I would accumulate enough to buy Spirit of Rellic, and then when I had it, I switched to regular xp and got 63'rd level.

I then switched back to AA while I made enough money to get SD and Spirit of Sorsha. Once I had them bagged, I got 64. I did not want to be 64 without SD.

Same thing... ground out AA as I accumulated enough money to get Fero and Sha's Revenge. I REFUSED to be 65 without Sha's, as I didn't want people to laugh at me on an LDoN for not having it, lol. I have said it before, and I will say it again: 64 is worthless without SD and Sorsha, and 65 is worthless without Sha's.

Of course, if you have easy access to the spells (guilded with a nice guild spell bank, or you group/raid alot) then by all means, get the levels. AA can come later. If you have that sort of support, the AA's are not so important anyways (not as important as the spells).
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

Savrik-Karana

60+ spells are CHEAP nowadays.  If you ding 62 and don't have Rellic, you'll have the cash by the time you hit 63.  Same with SD at 64.  Sha's Revenge is a little more expensive, but even then you should be able to spend a few nights hardcore farming plat and have it like *that*.

Get to 65.  And in the process, do some tak runs and get a DPoC (The boon augment).  With only decent gear for the most part, I can pull down 2 to 3 AAs a day (About 5 hours playtime) solo without breaking a sweat.  I just started really AAing a few days ago with nothing and I'm up to 12.  

AAs never get harder to get, only easier.  Levels get harder.

JillieMT

On MT, at least as long as I have been in the market for them, prices:

Rellic is 5-10k
Only seen Arag's Celerity once, and it was 9k
Sorsha and SD were only about 2k each
Sha's is 15-30k
Fero 5-15k

So I would not call themn CHEAP. At least not for a solo player, as I stated.

And again : if you have easy access to the spells, including if they are cheap on YOUR server, then by all means get 65.

Which beastlord would you want in your group, the 65 who doesn't have SD and Sha's, or the one who does?

Hereki

Prices are very server specific; I'd guess (from taking a look around a couple of months ago) that more servers are priced likeJillie's than like Savrik's.

Jkal_Shihar

Last time I check'd, those spells on Tribunal went for bout what Jillie mention'd.
Of course seeing sha's revenge is very rare but I think I ended up paying 25k for my copy. I just got tired of turning in the runes and always getting Ferocity.
Not a raider even though my guild is. But, I pretty much stopped at 52 did run3 and regen3, lvl'd to 60 got the next set (cant remember what ones) and paragon.
Lvl'd to 62 did BF and Planar power 2(actually, evertime I lvl'd I stopped and did a rank of BF and PP).
But once I hit 65 I got so many tells asking me if I had sha's revenge I had to say no not yet. But after I did get it groups where begging for me to join.
So, basically what I'm saying is enjoy the game. Do what you want and try and get those spells that some ppl know we have.  :twisted:
Animist Jkal Shi`har and tigger
Arch Animist of the Tribunal Server
My Magelo
*still my main since dec. 2001*

Savrik-Karana

I think Karana might be a fairly unique server in that we have no farming uberguild.  As such, the overpriced and plentiful but hoarded items like spells are cheaper, though some gear is a lot more expensive because the lack of someone farming it means it just isn't easy to come by.

Kinash

I tended to split my time between AA's and Levels, usually doing 100% for one... then 100% for the other. I did it that way mainly because most of my friends and guildies were about 10 or more levels behind me, so I wanted to let them catch up.

On a side note: I don't know about the Run3 stuff... I personally think Run is a waste, I stopped at Run2 (and wished I had spent the points on something a tad more useful)since it seemed like with Run2 everthing would easily catch and kill me if SoW dropped.
Kinash Kattar
Level 66, Khati Sha Apprentice
Tholuxe Paells (Bertox)
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=594639

JillieMT

Well, that is exactly why Run3 is better... it's faster than Run2... and 99% of critters... :P

Tardar

And you can't get Run5 until you get Run3