Main Menu

Fetter of Spirits

Started by Dancolen, September 14, 2005, 05:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancolen

Not sure any had posted the effectiveness of this AA yet, so I am posting it now.

Saved 26 aa before expansion went live, and purchased Imp BF1-2 and pet savagery 1, and fetter of spirits.

By far, ive liked Fetter greatly over hobble so far in my solo ventures.
I have not tested it in many instances yet, but wanted to at least post what ive noticed.

Fetter seems to be completely independant AA from hobble, meaning that you can have a hotkey for Fetter and for Hobble, though Fetter will overwrite Hobble.  Reuse time on Fetter is 5min, and for me it lasted around 20min I think.

I loaded up EQ and patched the expansion, and bought my AA, then after playing with the gargoyle shroud for a bit, took it off, and proceeded to one place I remember having very fast runners...  Stillmoon Temple.(any suggestions on other zones with faster runners wanted :) )

After putting Growl and shrew on the pet, I moved in, and pulled at first, a clay sentinel, putting hobble on the pet.(did not put irionu or epic effect on pet for testing purposes at that time, but will later to test if fetter will proc enough when competing with 2 other procs)
Sentinel got to 20%, was hobbled, and proceeded to walk away as usual...  I backed off pet, and let the hobble wear off, and it started a good jog... which i put pet back on it, and burned it down.

I then waited a few minutes for fetter to pop... and used it.
I pulled the other sentinel, and got it down to 20%, where it started to turn as well, however it did not move...  so i backed off pet, and waited what seemed quite long...  30 seconds or so, for snare to wear off.
It started jogging about the same speed when snare wore off, being still above 10%.
I reapplied pet, and it stopped once fetter procced, not moving an inch.
I backed pet off to make sure it wasnt stuns... and the mob once again stayed there til fetter wore off, not moving an inch....  then jogging again after it wore, to which i promptly burned it down with nukes and pet.

Hmm thats a clay sentinel, but there are faster things that dwell here.... the fastest i know of being the kirins...
So incomming is a Stillmoon loremaster I believe...  or some form of kirin.
Once again we get to 20%, and once again he turns...  and doesnt move,   he walks in place slowly, but doesnt move.
I back pet off, and snare wears off, and he bolts pretty fast down the hall, my pet after him, and hitting him in the back, to where he almost aggros two other mobs, but fetter procs a few feet from them, and the kirin just stands motionless again.
Glacial spear and roar of thunder later... and hes on the ground dead.

I will test later when i can, its effectiveness as far as being on the pet with irionu and epic, and if it procs less, and if it will still proc enough with those procs on.
This was just with growl+shrew+fetter/hobble
I have not gotten a chance to test this in harder places, such as riftseekers, where runners are even more of a problem.
I will post when I can on other areas.

It may be different for faster runners in MPG or RSS, but as far as stillmoon temple goes, which is the solo spot with the fastest runners that come to my mind... our snare is for real, very nice, and very powerful.

Just the difference from walking and STOPPED makes it so incredibly better for runners.

Hobble = walking
Fetter = dead stop

Kanan

wow.. okay.. so I"m getting this after I finish warders savagery

/prays for no nerf
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Dancolen

this was prior to the 14th patch btw... I will poke again in stillmoon to make sure it wasnt nerfed.
Any other reports of RSS, MPG, etc.. are helpful.

iamweaver

I tested Fetter on a DS Ukun (base run speed + 30% or more). The Ukun was unable to move once he hit 20H and attempted to flee.
Wildblood Lupic Wulfsib:  Member of Memento Reejeryn, The Seventh Hammer (Lanys T'Vyl)
Sugar Daddy: Berrew, Archon of Brell Serilis

psycattik

RCOD would be great place to test, I can't tell you how many times i've died do to hobble not working and runners going to get their friends.

psycattik

rdahl

Quoteany suggestions on other zones with faster runners wanted  )

Murk caves in OoW, I believe they run at near selos speed (anyway they easily outrun sow).
Blacknose Crackedfang 71st season of The Nameless

Dancolen

not particularly sure i can solo there, but will give it a shot.

Any particular mob type or area that you think would be good?(RCoD)

Which murk cave in which zone?

Kanan

general best mobs imo in god/oow to test snare effectiveness on are kyv/ukun.  Buggers are damn fast.  Course the kyv in KT would be good test too.. they've outrun soe before.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Shieara

I messed with it in a DoN mission.  It was our only means of snare and worked fine.  We did have our cleric load stuns, just in case, but they weren't needed.  Also used it a bit in NC (very short trial)while duoing  and it did it's job.

I have to say, I am thrilled with this aa.  The 9 point cost was sort of annoying, but I think it was in line considering the initial hobble cost of 5 and the increased rate people can get aa.   Anyways, those were my experiences and if you find yourself needing a reliable snare on a regular basis I'd recommend the aa.

Banvaren

Bought this AA with my bst as soon as DoD came out. I ran my typical 3 box of pal/clr/bst to RS to see how it worked out. Turns out it is not very effective at stopping the runners. I find the duration of the snare to be far too short. Back to using my Sap Encrusted Branch I guess.

I just wish we could get a 2 hour AA-back guarantee on these AAs in case we find they suck hehe.

rdahl

QuoteWhich murk cave in which zone?

DOH!  Meant to say WoS not OoW. 
Blacknose Crackedfang 71st season of The Nameless

Khauruk

I had the SK in my group not snare a few mobs to try this out, and results were so-so.  Mainly, it seems to still be a problem of resists.  Those that had lower resists got snared nicely.  But, the higher resist mobs would start to wander off as usual.  Nothing shocking.

Edit:  At 6way in MPG
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Rarrum

I added Fetter to the table:
http://www.beastlords.org/forums/index.php/topic,5693.0.html
a few days ago.

It's got several improvements over hobble:
-50 resist mod (hobble was 0)
50% snare (hobble was 40%)
36s duration (hobble was 24s)

Tested it a lot in stoneroot falls solo for hours lfg.  When it's on them... mobs don't move at all, and it was on the mob more often than hobble.  I was a bit surprised by it; I had thought it would just be a junky improvement that didn't do much.  It's actually decent, at least against blue cons.  Not tried in a place like RS yet which may be a different story.

iamweaver

QuoteTurns out it is not very effective at stopping the runners. I find the duration of the snare to be far too short. Back to using my Sap Encrusted Branch I guess.
How useful is the Tunare drop?  I would have guessed that an item that procs 3x a minute with no magic resist is no more effective than the new pet hobble against highly magic resistant MOBs, but I don't have one to test with :).  Unless that's what you wield for on average half of each fight?  At least the loss in DPS isn't as bad as using the Journeyman's walking stick to help out the warder :).
Wildblood Lupic Wulfsib:  Member of Memento Reejeryn, The Seventh Hammer (Lanys T'Vyl)
Sugar Daddy: Berrew, Archon of Brell Serilis

Banvaren

Since the bst is one of 3 toons I play, I don't switch out the snare stick ever. I just deal with the subpar dps. But it never fails me while 3 boxing. The only time I have issues with it is when I grab a guild rogue to join me and he kills the mob so fast the stick doesn't have time to proc.

I am not doubting Fetter is Better (tm), but it just doesn't work well for me 3 boxing in RS. If I could get the AAs for both skills refunded I would do it in a heartbeat.