Main Menu

Shpinxes

Started by Diresz, November 06, 2004, 12:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokrogg

Gotog,

First, in answer to your question on whether the Gift of the Sphinx is an item or a flag.  I believe it is an item.

Second, It seems to me that, among the posters in this forum, only you and I are in exactly the same boat.

I think once you turn in the scarf (been using puppet strings to charm him so i can do this) to Ank sphinx, then kill the servant that spawns and loot the Sullied piece, the Ank sphinx thats up is actually a different mob from the one thats normally up.  This mob wont accept the scarf, so if you leave this mob up, someone either has to successfully turn in a Sullied to him to get him to despawn or wait for zone/server reset.

I dragged an enchanter friend along to help me play with this Sullied turn in version of Ank sphinx.  This mob is not charmable (you get the message) using puppet strings or by the chanter.  We tried a bunch of illusions.  Result is the same.

Normal Ank sphinx:
- charmable
- responds to quest text
- will attack kos players

Turn-in Ank sphinx:
- Spawns either when scarf is turned in or when sphinx servant dies (I was busy :P)
- uncharmable
- does not attack kos players
- does not respond to quest text

So far this exact problem only seems to be a reported problem for OGRE beastlords who have hunted named beetles (at the center camp - the ones on Ank sphinx facton)  in Rathe mountains (gotten themselves way kos).   The hailing and zoning trick people have talked about being added does NOT do the trick in this case.

So far I have spent a few 10s of k on this quest to experiment with iIlusions and charming using puppet strings.  I've killed the Zak sphinx servant and gotten a new scarf 4 times now.  I've tried human, erudite, scaled wolf, wolf, ndt, wood elf illusions on the Ank turn-in sphinx.  I've dragged an enchanter down to have a go at him.  Result is the same:

Ank turn-in sphinx returns Sullied Ank Piece, saying it has no need for it.
Ank turn-in sphinx only gives me shut up I'm going to attack you messages when I try any quest text.

For the record my faction with both versions of Ank sphinx has been scowling during this time.

At the moment I have a scarf in inventory and am killing Zak beetles to try to fix my Ank faction the old fashioned way.  It's slow going and I only have a little time to devote to this each week.  I'll post the results here.

Thanks,

P.S.  Been wondering about this too.  This last time I let the normal Ank sphinx aggro me and follow me out of his little path a ways from his spawn site, before charming him with puppet strings for the turn in of the scarf.  After I turned in the scarf, he despawned.  I had hoped the servant sphinx would spawn right there but he instead spawned at Ank's normal spawn point.  I ran over there and aggroed the servant sphinx (i didnt see or didnt notice any  turn-in Ank sphinx lying down near him /shrug).  Anyways I dragged the servant sphinx away and killed him, looked over at Ank's spawn site and there was the turn-in Ank standing up.  Is he laying down at that point for non-kos people having no problems with the quest, or is he normally standing up?

Bokrogg

Nimbin,

I reread your post, and since you tried to help I wanted to address why I don't think you have the exact same problem.

You were having trouble turning in the scarf.  You used human potion and were able to get text and turn in the scarf.

At this point for me (scarf in inventory), I just tried human illusion potion and I'm still scowling to Ank.  I hail him and he says I have bad breath and attacks me.  I zone and come back, put human illusion back on.  I hail him he attacks me again and I zone.  At this point I just came back, human illusioned, conned him from afar (still scowling), went and aggroed him, pulled him away from spawn point, charmed him with puppet strings, and that seems to be the only way he will accept the scarf for me.

All this I can deal with (it's a pain, but workable).  At this point, where I need to turn in the Sullied Ankh Piece to Ank sphinx, I seem to be stuck.  He wont take it from me, wont be charmed, wont respond to any illusioned version of me any differently.  He hates me, and doesnt want me to wield the epic 1.5.

So our problems, while similar, still seem fundamentally different for me.

Couple questions for you:

Did you hunt Ank beetles en masse at one point in your youth?
Did using human illuision also allow you to turn in Sullied Ank Piece to turn-in Ank after killing the sphinx servant?
Was turn-in Ank laying down or standing up at that time?

Thanks!

Nimbin

Bokrogg

I am a troll BL, I was kos to Ank. 

I'm not sure if I ever hunted beetles, I may have killed a few back when trying to raise plat from the giants but I don't think I killed them on a regular basis.

I'm a bit foggy on the sequence of using my potion but I thought using the potion allowed me to turn in the piece after the fight was over. 

I really don't remember if Ank was standing up or laying down, sorry.  From other post I read, sounds like it should be lying on the ground.

It does indeed sound like you are having a different problem than I was.  My hang up was turning in the scarf which you seem to have gotten around.  I read your posts a few times to try to find suggestions.  (i've deleted several that you have tried)  I'm grasping as straws to offer help but perhaps trying staying in Ank's area when you do the scarf turn in, but have someone else get aggro instead of you and maybe with a combination zoning out and back in along with illusion potion you might be able to hand in the sullied piece. 

Found a another thread, maybe it will help:

http://www.beastlords.org/forums/index.php?topic=3966

http://www.beastlords.org/forums/index.php/topic,3983.0.html

Bokrogg

Well, first link you gave is Psycattik who is a guildee of mine, hehe.  He turned into the pet the first time I think.  He's a kitty.

The second link you gave looks to be my problem exactly.   Bromby is or was having problems with the turnin version of ank that wont be charmed (or apparently pacified/harmonied either).  He also resorted to trying to faction up by killing Zak side mobs (3 beetles and the other sphinx).  And like him, I am now scowling to both sphinxes.  Factioning up seems to be ridiculously slow.  Like I think this may take weeks of constant killing every 7 minutes.  Surely they jest.  Any devs reading this board?  Show love for the ogres yo!

Bromby of E'ci?  Are you out there?  What exactly is the invis trick?

Thanks again!

*edit*
I just went back and tried what I figure is the "invis trick", that is invising and handing in the Sullied, since the wierd no aggro/no charm turn in version of Ank is still up from my morning activities.  Same result - The turnin version of ank just hands it back and tells me he has no need of it.   After rereading Bromby's thread, it sounds like he may have handed the Sullied piece to Ank while Ank was still lying on the ground.  My turn in Ank is standing up which may indicate he went aggro and maybe this is breaking the turn in.

*edit again*
I did just notice I'm up to conning threateningly to Ank now.  Maybe factioning up by killing is feasable.  I've possibly killed 40 - 50 spawn cycles of beetles today I think.  Just an estimate.  I suspect that even when I'm ally though, if the turn in Ank is standing up, he won't want my Sullied.

Bokrogg

Gift of the Sphinx!

It was as simple as being too kos to Ank from killing beetles in my youth I think.

Description of problem #1:
Ogre race, max kos to Ank.  Scowling in normal ogre form and also scowling with Human illusion on.  Ank will not respond to quest text.  Faction boost from hailing and zoning not even enough to boost me up from scowling, if it worked at all.  Ank will not settle down enough to be able to give scarf.

Solution:
Charm Ank, do quest text.  Run down and talk to Zak, spawn sphinx servant, loot and turn in Zak ankh piece, get scarf  (Thank Zek I wasn't kos to Zak sphinx too or I think I would have had to kill someone).  Charm Ank again.  Turn in scarf.  Kill sphinx servant.  Loot Sullied.

Description of problem #2:
Turn in Ank (the uncharmable one - the one I need to give Sullied Ankh Piece), wont respond to Hail (other than to say I have bad breath).  Still cons scowling but does not attack like original Ank.  My faction at this time, again, was scowling as ogre AND still scowling as human (illusioned).

Solution to problem #2:
Kill Zak beetles.  All day.  ~150 kills or 50 spawn cycles.  Can check faction with Ank beetles to east.  At some point I realized I had jumped up a faction notch to threatening.  Checked faction as human (illusioned) and was amiably.  When hailing Ank at this point He responded with something like, you have something for me?  and accepted sullied - recieved Gift of the Sphinx.  From reading the other posts people have provided I suspect dubious faction with illusion is high enough, so maybe you only need ~100 kills.  I can confirm hand in works at amiable with illusion though.  I'm now still conning threatening btw in my true form, even after completing this part of the quest.

Hope my documentation on my ordeal helps another ogre out there.  Good luck and don't give up!  Special thanks to Nimbin for responding so quickly and finding Bromby's post again for me.  For a troll you're a pretty good guy.  ;)

I think I'm gonna just sit here and kill Ank for fun for a while.  Well, maybe I should wait until I finish epic 1.5 fist :P

Nimbin

Bokrogg,

Glad to see you finally worked it out, and that it was only a faction issue.  I've read posts were people claim old world faction is not supposed to be an issue with epic 1.5's but clearly that is not the case.  Perhaps they mean starting faction, not any adjustments you may have made while killing stuff.  Anyway grats.

Gotog Ironskull

ok seems like I need to kill the beetals to raise the fractions then.  I hunted a few level at the monument they give bad fraction for ankh.  Will try no biggie kill those bugs hope this works cause petition dose not.

I was able to do total turn in 1 time with friends along. they whent up let mobs beat on them while i did text and first turn in.

Gotog IronSkull
70 Oger Beastlord
Me Droppings

Gotog Ironskull

The never ending fractions.

Ok if you have read any of the previous post you will under stand this.

Finally after 35 to 40 cycles of killing Zaza and his beatles buddies and with wod elf form on.  I'm finally dubious to ankh.  I soo happy I decide to turn it in.  Then relizing I was only half mana and that all the raid buffs I had from the nite befor were wearing off.  Needless to say I died.  Ok NP welcome to EQ.

Got rez and drug a few friends over to help me.  Hailed him when through the text.  Ran every over to Zaza (who by know Hates me)  Did the whats happing !! thing got the rambling to pop beat him down NP.  Looted part.

Your going to love this.

NOW ZAZA WONT EXCEPT MY FRIGGING ITEM UGH!!!!!!!

SO no I get to kill ankh beatles to rase fraction with Zaza to get scarf for Ankh. Then kill Zaza and beatles to get fraction to turn scarf in to Ankh.

Well making good plat in rath so not total lost.

well off to smash beatles we go!!

Gotog IronSkull
70 Oger Beastlord
Me Droppings

Bokrogg

Geez,  sorry man.  But on the plus side, at least you now have a clear path to finishing this stage of the quest.  It sucked being stuck here and not having a clear idea of what to do about it.

Gotog Ironskull

Ya and I have made close to 5k in plat LOL.

Its just soooo Dam Borning

and Once I get fractions up with Zaza to get silk scarf I have to re do fraction with ankh to turn it in so I figure Ill be close to making 15k in Plat by the time Im done with this section LOL UGH

Gotog IronSkull
70 Oger Beastlord
Me Droppings

Klahw

since this is Antonica (old world) did you try having a druid cast wolf form on you?  In a lot of cases it sets your faction to indifferent.
Klahw

a Torv refugee

ebric

Mna I cant belive all the trouble you are having with this part :-o.....reading this stuff I had expected a hard time being I killed the sphinx in the open area a bunch of times and was KoS to him. When I got to the other I was dubious......did hand in....was indiff.....wne to other one and was indif.

Give the wolf form a shot..

Bokrogg

Klahw wrote:
Quotedid you try having a druid cast wolf form on you?  In a lot of cases it sets your faction to indifferent.

Ebric wrote:
QuoteGive the wolf form a shot.

12 posts up in this thread I wrote (too many posts from me, I know - sorry):
QuoteI've tried human, erudite, scaled wolf, wolf, ndt, wood elf illusions on the Ank turn-in sphinx.

At the time I still conned scowling in these forms.  I believe my issue was that I was far enough down the faction scale to be both scowling in ogre form and scowling in illusioned form.  After killing beetles for a while I eventually got to where I was threatening in ogre form and amiably in human form (didnt try wolf form at that point as I was alone with just a handful of human illusion potions on me - I suspect I was also amiably in wolf form).

So far this seems to only have been such an issue that it requires killing beetles for a few Ogres that have killed a lot of beetles in the past.  Perhaps its a Rallos Zek thing, I dunno.  I noticed Klahw was agnostic.  This is complicated by the fact that many ogres end up hunting beetles since they are nice soloable mobs for lvl 9ish bsts with decent spawn rates near Oggok.  Also (imo) by the fact that there aren't as many ogre beasts working on epic 1.5 compared to Vah shir.

Ebric wrote:
QuoteI cant belive all the trouble you are having with this part

Believe it!  :(  I couldn't believe it either.  SOE shows no love for the ogres :/.  Could be worse I guess.  At least we didnt lose our home city to a bunch of frogs :P.

Gotog Ironskull

OK Finally got it Woot

What I found out is that illusions help but you still need to get your fraction to doubious.  Grr bad spelling the 1 above threating.  Other wise you wont be able to get the Reward which is an Item.  The illusion I used was Wood Elf from crown of deciet.

Thank you all.

Gotog IronSkull
70 Oger Beastlord
Me Droppings