Main Menu

4th box worth it?

Started by jabby, March 23, 2005, 07:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jabby

i recently added a 4th box, and find it seems like its actually just slowing me down, as far as exp gain, speed of getting stuff done, and enjoyment of the game. It just seems too busy. Im starting to think that 2-3 toons is the way to go.

What do you guys think?  :mrgreen:

Lraria

Probably mostly depends on your setup....

With 3 computers, 2 monitors, I find 3 boxing is easier than 4 in some situations, because I don't have to flip 2 accounts on one computer.  But, I find the added dps / utility of having a 4th account in my Box Team makes a bunch of difference to the camps I've done so far.

Crunching xp, dropping nameds quickly, all this is easier with more dps.  It is more difficult to move and to get setup, but the tradeoff is more than worth it, in my opinion and for how I like to play (enjoy myself in the world of Norrath)!

I have tried 3 accounts on the same computer and it is surprising that some people do manage to play that way, the flipping and not seeing anything except 1 character viewpoint would be limiting, to me at least.

On the other hand, I do find 2 boxing to be trivially easy anymore, almost feels too simple compared to the 3-4 boxing I do.  And soloing (1 character) feels downright bad unless the group I'm in is just rockin the zone.... /smile

bham

I guess it depends on set up. I 4 box on 4 computers, which is pretty easy. Personally I wouldnt want to have any more than 1 extra account than the number of computers I have.
ie 2 computers = 3 accounts max.
     3 computers = 4 accounts max

but your milage may vary.

The total number of AA you earn will always be faster if you have more toons. However the AA per toon you earn may be slower if your efficiency reduces.
Bham - Cleric - Mage - Wizard - Tentrix
Bertox

Bulge

I agree with Bham, it all depends on your setup. I 5-box and can handle all toons easily because each of them is on a separate computer and is handled by a Strategic Commabder that I have lined up to the left of my keyboard. 2 of them (both Healers, Dru and Cle) are on on monitor through a kvm switch, the other 3 toons, inclduing my main is on my Main monitor through a second KVM switch.

This way I always have an eye on my crucial healing toons, where as my Mage and Necro require *very* little attention: I can easily handle them through the commanders without ever having to "switch" to their view.  I have setup buffing macro's for each toon which means that buffing, summoning pets and re-buffing requires only a few buttonclicks on the commanders. They can contain lenghty macro's and paired with EQ's innate macro-system, this works great. One button on each commander is reserved for a ? target Bulge, /stand, /follow macro, which means I have my toons ready to follow with 4 quick clicks.

Anyway, you can see that the biggest advantage of having separate computers, Commanders and KVM switches is that you hardly ever have to actually switch over to your boxes.

Getting such a group to work together (BL, Mage, Necor, Druid, CLeric) is great fun and it's a challenge to get the most use out of every class. I never would have guessed for instance how invaluable my NEcro would become for me: with her Mindwracking constantly and Seduction of Saryrn on, I pretty much never run out of mana and can nuke away constantly. Pet power is great too.  I do miss a tank sometimes, but it's fun to see what my BL can take.  I do not have much time to play, so I level rather slow and have few AA, but since I level 5 toons, there is always something to upgrade or a toon close to leveling. New spells to buy, new abilities to try out, see if I have a use for that new spell.

I am nowhere near the power/efficiency level where Bham is with his 4-some but it is good to see what he can take on. :)

The good thing about EQ is that you can still run it on a crappy computer if you put the settings low. If you can afford it, I would recommend putting them on separate computers and read my "5-boxing" post to see how I do it. 

Others use the Nostromo controller and this seems like a good replacement for the Commander, since the latter  are discontinued and can only be purchased through E-bay (or find an obscure store that still sells them). The big disadvantage of the Nostromo in my eyes is the fact that you can not record any macro's * in game*  while it is really easy to change around/adjust macro's with the Commanders, while playing. Having to log out every time in order to tweak a Macro sounds like  a bitch to me.

Cheers!

Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.

jaskorak

I had a BL as my main when I decided I wanted to start multi-boxing. So I added a druid and right off the bat was having more fun that I ever did with one toon. So I added two more a cleric and an enchanter thinking of utility of having perma rez-virt-kei-9-cc etc. The one thing I am missing bad is dps and a feign death class. I need dps most of all and a mage would be nice dps addition not to mention pet toys, however a necro has a ton of utility in a group and in certain situations I could feign death pull with the necro I wonder how much extra work a necro would be?

1. Beastlord
2. Druid
3. Cleric
4. Enchanter
5. Necro/mage?

Lraria

Hmm, between necro / mage is tough call.  Both have pluses / minuses, guess it comes down to how you like to play.....

I would go necro for FD / emergency rezz (after cleric dies or rest of group except necro) / dps / mindwrack / mana pumping.

Mage would be nice - pet toys, serious dps, but I feel comes up a little short when compared to necro, for your group.

Your play style, preferences might be different than mine.  Both are excellent dps and minimal effort to bot.

My pet Team of Bst / Dru / Nec / Mag is pulling in fast easy AA's now all are 65.  Gear is improving and I'm debating about adding a 5th box when my new computer arrives.  Have a bard and a cleric both just waiting for a group invite to join the team.... LOL

Lraria

jaskorak

From the looks of your group, doesn't look like you are lacking dps. :mrgreen: Thanks for the input, yah I think I am going to go with a necro. There is a ton of utility with that class to go with the nice dps, I didn't even mention summon which can come in handy.  The ultimate would be to add a mage as my 6th but that is down the road, right now 5 will be more than enough and after I pl the necro I should notice a nice difference to my group dps.

Lraria

Yeah, boxing can be addicting.  Been thinking how I might go to 5 and then even 6 accounts to run a full group in certain camps where the utility would be useful.  On the other hand, I usually can find some peeps to round out my 4 box group.  Your group makeup should be easy enough to add Necro and Mage to have full group, both are very easy to add to box groups.

My friend boxes Pally / Chanter and there is very little we have failed doing in the last few months.  Heals are good enough with druid/pally and the chanter simply locks down anything more than a single we pull, he usually pulls too.  Dps is pretty crazy and mana regen is simply not an issue.  His pally is well geared and plenty of AA's (700+) so I feel we can tank just about anything allowing for druid/pally heals.  It's nice when chanter charms and or druid charms to add further to the dps of the group.  Mobs simply die fast and with some practice we can handle charm breaks without losing a tick on the mob we're killing.

I'm impressed lately how many folks are boxing, seems almost everyone I know has at least 2 accounts.  There are some terrible boxers out there, but the good ones make it seem easy.  Filling in just a couple spots on my 4 box team is usually pretty easy, for now I'm grinding some serious aa's and some cash.  Upgrade drop camps are next on the agenda when I have enough AA's to cover the basics with my group.

Knodey

Quote from: bham on March 26, 2005, 11:30:38 AM
I guess it depends on set up. I 4 box on 4 computers, which is pretty easy. Personally I wouldnt want to have any more than 1 extra account than the number of computers I have.
ie 2 computers = 3 accounts max.
     3 computers = 4 accounts max

must be doing something wrong then :P running 3 on one comp