Main Menu

Enc/Druid and Beastlord or Paladin?

Started by Feynar, July 26, 2006, 01:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feynar

I currently have a lvl 70 enc with 306 aa's and a lvl 67 druid with 0 aa's. My g/f plays a 68 mag and I was thinking of having a 3rd box to tank so we could do most content on our own.

My dilemma is: Should I go with a paladin or a beastlord?

Paladin
Plus
-Better tanking
-Heals
-Able to Rez
-Stuns

Beastlord
Plus
-Better Mana Regen
-Better DPS

I was hoping to get some input from others who may have tried these combo's. I am currently leaning towards the Beastlord but am open to the Paladin

Kroshx

You're in a beastlord forum. Anybody who says Paladin is a traitor!

But, really, Pally prolly be better. Sure, they lack DPS, and FT, but they get Symbol/Pally Conviction. :)
Wildblood Kroshx - 75 - Beastlord - Drinal

Taiglin

Just to clarify the potential 3 box is (Chanter|Dru) / Mage / (Pally/Bst)?

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]

Khauruk

What quality of gear would be possible?  Where would you be looking to tank?  If you have some lower end raid gear even (up to Qvic), the Beastlord can be a very effective tank in most group content.  If you're going to be using single group gear, the paladin will be easier to gear up.

And is Taiglin right w/ what's he's asking?  If so...yeah, you'd need the Beastlord for slows.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Feynar

Sorry, to clarify:

I have an Enchanter on one account.

Druid on another account.

Mage played by my girlfriend.

I box the Enchanter and Druid at the moment, but want to get into more content that I can't due to not having a tank (hard to find em sometimes).

So I was wondering whether having a Beastlord or Paladin would be the better tank for our setup.

Plan on tanking OoW - MPG, RSS, etc. I doubt it would be a good idea to hydra in PoR zones.

Gear wise would be anything I could get myself, or purchase after farming.

I also play without my g/f sometimes and go farming, so trying to keep that in mind too hehe.

oh and my druid just dinged 68 hehe

Arrturisgym

My vote would be for the paladin for a number of reasons....
    - Druid and Pally buffs can stack (oak +symbol) which would give you good hp buffs with some mana regen
    - A Paladin is a better tank and would be easier to geared up for tanking the kind of content you are interested in doing
    - Pally can rez which while not a necessity is still nice to have

... and so on

the only problem you would run into would be that you'd be somewhat light on the dps (if you're just three boxing) but that wouldn't be an issue when you're playing with your gf's mage.
This is not to say that a beastlord wouldn't be a good addition as well... you'd have a bit more dps with the beast but not as stable tanking.
Another option (if you really like the beastlord class) would be to three box beastlord/druid/ + some caster dps which would give you more dps while being pretty easy to bot.
Or you could play enchanter/druid + a melee dps (i'd reccomend a berserker)... the berserker would give you decent tanking (they're on the knights hp table), stuns/snare and good dps.

Khauruk

You won't be able to manage anything more than MPG difficulty w/ a Beastlord tank/Druid healer w/o some serious raid gear.  My vote goes paladin.  SK if some more dps/pullability is of more value than the pally buffs.  Zerker can be made to tank darn nicely w/ even groupable gear, and is great dps....I'd take a serious look at them.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Feynar

ok, so beastlord is out =(

Now its between PAladin, Shadowknight and Zerker....

Taiglin

If you continue to play the druid I wouldn't look at the pally for the rez ability per se. At 70 the druid can get the summon to body ability AA and then you have 2hrs plus to xp before heading to the guild lobby to summon corpse and get a rez.

I haven't played or really played around a zerker but I guess here is my thinking. In theory a druid healer would have an easier time healing a plate class then a chain or leather class*. When it comes to damage output which would do better - the plate tank getting fewer heals where the Dru can add more damage then the dru potentially having to spend more time healing the zerker?

At some point because you have a chanter I might look at a class other then Bst because slow is covered. I also haven't played a zerker so might do that just cuz and/or take a look at Drakkins and what they can be because it is so close.

*Lots of variables plus some other thoughts but became long and rambly. Oh and don't count out the Druid's lvl 66 AE spell. It is the primary nuke on mine.

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]

Feynar

Ok, well beastlord is out (perhaps another account down the line, girlfriend might kill me lol).

I think Berserker might be in the same boat as beastlord (good dps but not as good a tank as the plate classes).

So it would have to be paladin or Shadowknight, paladin is heals and rez/buffs.

Shadowknight is dps and self heals and better tauntage....hmmm...leaning towards Shadowknight

Kroshx

Definately go SK. I played one for about an hour and, while tough, the class reminded me much of a beastlord. Don't ask why, because I don't even know. Regardless, you'll be able to pull/tank with an SK.
Wildblood Kroshx - 75 - Beastlord - Drinal