Main Menu

Warder is an assling

Started by Chubaka, May 19, 2004, 07:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chubaka

Does everyone fight with the warder behind the mob?  I ask because I noticed (Not parsed and maybe my imagination) I take less damage when I am fighting on the same side as my warder and they don't seem to take any longer to kill.

Maybe has to do with mob ripostes or something.
Chubaka
65 Beast
Terris Thule

Magelo
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=934088

Tastian

If I'm solo'n then I fight with the pet in rogue position.  Pet avoids dodge/parry/ripostes and having pet in back almost completely offsets my push.

Oneiromancer

I thought I read somewhere that pets don't get riposted upon.  Was this pulled out of thin air or is there some reason behind it?

I have definitely noticed that my pet does much more damage when in the "rogue" position, so I always endeavor to position it that way.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

JillieMT

Same, I try to position him behind the critter.

Except if I am soloing casters... then I will fight along with him, to try to push to help with interrupting casting. No idea if it really does anything, but I do it nonetheless, hehe. Might just be superstition. :)
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

Coprolith

QuoteI ask because I noticed (Not parsed and maybe my imagination) I take less damage when I am fighting on the same side as my warder and they don't seem to take any longer to kill.

/sigh
Not parsed and therefore almost certainly your imagination. Pet in rogue position does more dps which means shorter fights which means less damage taken yourself. Simple as that.
Elder Coprolith III
Trollie ferrul lawd of 65 levels (retired)

Tastian

Pushing can help, but some mobs just channel like mad regardless.  There was a time when doing stormriders I'd shift around once mob went into CH mode to try and interupt an extra heal or two.  It doesn't hurt.  Also pets got patched to be riposted less and "pet" pets hrmmm the things like cleric hammer and stuff were made almost immune to riposte.  Even if someone doesn't take riposte damage though doesn't mean dodges and parrys and stuff aren't lowering their melee damage.  For me, pet in back, me in front, that's that.

Kherryn

Pets don't take damage from ripostes at all unless it's from Enrage (which is different than normal ripostes).  They do however get blocked by Dodge/Parry and possibly also get blocked during riposte (but just don't take damage).  Cleric hammers are special in that they don't get affected by AE (from what I've heard) as they are a single target pet.

Dakat

yeah I can see where putting pet behind mob could help out.  That way all the pets attacks should land.  Since mobs are unable to dodge, riposite, parry or whatever from the rear. Hince the reason rogues and other melee classes go for the sweet spot.

For me, I keep the pet at my side for the most part.  Specially during close combat where its getting neck and neck between who is going to die first, me or the mob.

The reason is, if the pet is too far from you, say your in the front and pet is behind ya, the pet will not "/shield" you.  My pet shields me quite frequently, we stand side by side.

Coprolith

QuoteThe reason is, if the pet is too far from you, say your in the front and pet is behind ya, the pet will not "/shield" you. My pet shields me quite frequently, we stand side by side.
Never noticed any difference between shielding frequency regardless of pet position. Pet will even shield me if its engaged on a different mob a few feet away. Then again, it doesnt happen very often that me and my pet are on the same side of a mob and my health drops below 50% and the shield timer is up. Far as i know the ability to shield someone depends only on distance.

/hugs
Elder Coprolith III

Dakat

exactly, the /shield is distance based. That distance is rather small as well.  If you have played a warrior past 35 when they get the ability, When I use to play a warrior, it was hard to get it to take effect unless you were standing right next to the person you were targeting.

Coprolith

Okies, but i dont really see how the difference in /shield frequency between a pet in frontal position vs rogue position could possibly outweight the loss of the pets dps.  In fact, if i run some quick numbers in my head, i think its quite possible that when the pet is in rogue position, the increased hitratio of his bashes will reduce your own damage taken (thru increased stun rate) by an amount comparable to what you get from pet shielding. The effect of the pets dps on fight time is even an order of magnitude greater then that.
Would you happen to have a figure for the pet shielding frequency in frontal position for me so i can do some calculations properly?

/hugs
Elder Coprolith III

Eatbugs

Quoteexactly, the /shield is distance based. That distance is rather small as well.

Until a few weeks ago, it wasn't small enough to make any difference in whether a pet could shield you while standing on the opposite side of a mob - I've had my warder shield me from as far as 10 feet away or so.

Of course, they basically broke /shield for Warriors with the DX9 patch (The range is now so short you have to practically be standing on top of someone to shield them) so I suspect it changed for pets as well.
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal