Main Menu

Question on Posting Images and Web Hosting

Started by mac173, January 13, 2004, 03:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac173

I am not as savvy as I like to think I am, so here's a question to prove it.

My father recently gave me a program to edit images. I am thinking of trying to make  a sig. Once I do get one made up, how do I post it here? Or if I want to share a screen shot or image?

I have my own domain, but I don't have a web page. Thats another project, and no, I have no one hosting my domain. I can't afford to pay for hosting, and my ISP dosen't offer any.

What do I do to get my sig of images to show here?

Jaeren

You need to have webspace somewhere and upload the picture there. Some people use geocities (renaming the jpg or gif after uploading to txt to get around the linking restrictions i think) or something similiar. A lot of us have our own webspace that we use though, like msyelf. I have multiple places I can put my sig ;)

EQ - Morell Thule / Erollisi Marr (Retired):
[75 Beastlord] Jaeren (Barbarian)
[72 Cleric] Velissia (High Elf)
[69 Shaman] Sotar (Vah Shir)

WoW - Medivh (Retired):
[60 Rogue] Draeven (Undead)
[60 Priest] Lifesaver (Undead)
[56 Rogue] Klaien (Human)
[51 Paladin] Keidian (Human)

VSOH - Flamehammer (Retired)
[34 Disciple] Daevien (Half Elf)
[33 Bard] Pastorius (Kojani)
[26 Dread Knight] Draeven (Kojani)

Zorthar

I use http://www.strike9.com, but I somehow used all my bandwith this month, they offer alot of bandwith for a free site, and their other hosting is relatively cheap I would guess too, but I havent really looked around at prices.

mac173

Thanks, Zorthar, I just signed up for free trial. I will have to see if that gives enough bandwidth to handle my sig or not. Of course, I need to make a sig!
BTW, the link is broken. The URL comes up as www.strike9,.com.
A comma slipped in on you.

Thrashum Gud

QuoteSome people use geocities (renaming the jpg or gif after uploading to txt to get around the linking restrictions i think) or something similiar.

That's exactly how it is done and it is what I use.  For a non-internet savy type like myself it's about as easy as you can possibly find for free.

Zorthar

Also, to post an image use the img command, format is:

[code:1][img]http://www.yourwebhost/images/yoursig.jpg[/img][/code:1]

Xlorep DarkHelm

I'm really, really close to having a server up and running on my home network, complete with many little features.  Depending on how it all works out, I might be able to host your sig mac.  I just need to find a new job currently, as the one I'm at is killing me (mentally & physically).  I'm really not cut out to be a car salesman, and after the pain I had shooting through my back yesterday, it's time to move on to another career.
"I'm not responcabel fer my comuter's spleling errnors."
   - Xlorep DarkHelm

Member of the Epic Bureau at http://athas.org.
Offline: DarkHelm.net
My Blog
WoW: Oguler, Orc Hunter, WWN East, Medivh server

mac173

I have been perusing the "Free" web space providers, and most of them have some conditions I can't go with.
Such as, I have to transfer my domain name registration over to them. I have the registration currently pre-paid until 2011, so I'm NOT changing the registrant. I'm not really happy with the idea of an address like www.mememe.com/geocities.mac173.com.  The sub-domain just seems to make the address go on forever, and forever. I guess I could redirect from the original domain though......Huhhhhhh.

OK, sorry, thinking out loud. Will 50megs storage, and 1000megs bandwidth per month be enough? I don't knoe how much bandwidth the sig will take.

Xlorep DarkHelm

Well, it depends.  your sig uses more bandwidth every time it's *viewed* by other people, for every post you make using the signature.  If you are relatively insane and post.... oh..... 100 messages with the sig a day, you might have a problem.  Then again, if the forums you are perusing are *very* popular, and have thousands of hits a day, with dozens on each thread you have your sig on.... you get the picture (hopefully).  Personally, I think that what you've selected shoudn't be all that big of a deal.
"I'm not responcabel fer my comuter's spleling errnors."
   - Xlorep DarkHelm

Member of the Epic Bureau at http://athas.org.
Offline: DarkHelm.net
My Blog
WoW: Oguler, Orc Hunter, WWN East, Medivh server

DiosT

Assuming your signature is within the limits permitted by this board you can get:
28,571 views off that amount of bandwidth

1,000,000,000/35,000 or:
1,000/.035

should be fine, as long as you dont have -LOTS- of other traffic on the website...