MySQL, phpMyAdmin, and Access 97

Started by DiosT, January 13, 2004, 10:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiosT

Im trying to keep in synch the following:

My Personal website
My Desktop computer
My Laptop computer

My website ONLY can export SQL easily through phpMyAdmin, from there I'm having troubles getting that information into the MySQL database i run locally...

A Computer professor mentioned trying Access, but Access doesnt support blog-type fields, and memo is only ~700 characters, when I need to put 5,000+ characters in an SQL field...

My laptop & Desktop are both set up to do 'localhost' web work, with php, mysql, etc. all successfully installed, I can pull up my website and it queries the database fine, pulling data that's there, and displaying it correctly on the website...

The problem comes when I want to synch the data between all 3 sources... I can manually add a field on any of the 3 items, but i cant find a way to do imports/expores in a way that works..

which means i cant keep all 3 locations in synch...

Anyone solve this kinda problem before? The root of the matter is i cant find a way to export that i can easily import...

How can i Export from phpmyadmin in a way that i can command-line mysqlimport the table into the local database.. then how should i mysqldump so i can import to phpmyadmin ?

Keep in mind i'm very novice to SQL, I mainly use one or two clients to edit the database.. I dont know the command-line options all too well... nor can i go in to the mysql shell and manually manipulate the database without looking up commands

DiosT

thing i found a good enough solution...

installed phpmyadmin on the laptop and desktop

Xlorep DarkHelm

Hmm.... I haven't run into that problem myself yet DiosT.

Question: what (if any) mods do you have running on this forum?
"I'm not responcabel fer my comuter's spleling errnors."
   - Xlorep DarkHelm

Member of the Epic Bureau at http://athas.org.
Offline: DarkHelm.net
My Blog
WoW: Oguler, Orc Hunter, WWN East, Medivh server

DiosT

its not for this website..

I'm doing some self education on the side, trying to learn php/mysql.. since i know HTML very well, I want to create more dynamic websites...

trying to leran how to use PHP to work with MySQL, and using that ability in websites..

Maybe after i master working with php on my own website, dealing with inserts, updates, and deletes, I'll use it on this site for organizing guides & information.. but as of right now..

I'm just trying to keep the data from 3 different databases up to date (the desktop and laptop being local-only, for offline work)..

If you know php well xlorep I could use some help solving minor problems, like displaying text/html (like <BR> tags) when i want to, but otherwise keeping tags in the database correctly (for being pulled as html when needed)...

Right now im worknig on an insert script to update news (not on this site, again)... and to 'debug' it i had it outputing text i can copy/paste into phpmyadmin to do an insert, but it kept processing the
 tag in the outputs, even if they were enclosed in
 tag
s

DiosT

in case your question was unrelated :-P

this board only uses home-brewed mods, mainly all we've done is edited the html outputs, removed lines, added links, etc...

No pre-packaged mods yet, not looking to break the board...

here's a simple list of all i can remember:
1. No "Moderators: " list in the forum listing
2. Compacted the forums so they take up less verticle space
3. Added "mark all topics read" to the bottom of the forum view
4. Edited values in admin's index to keep the date field from wraping
5. removed "New Topic" as a link from topic views

and then some redirection changes

Mindlet

You shouldn't need to use php to dump the database on your website. You can do this.

On your local machine run

mysqldump -h webhost -u userid -p dbname

where webhost is the name of the webserver your database is on and dbname is the name of your database. This will dumb all the info to the screen. You can just add a redirect to a file and you have all the info saved. Yoou can use this file to import to your other 2 machines.

Xlorep DarkHelm

1. Yes, my question was unrelated.

2. I know the feeling DiosT, I've currently got a P/266MHz server, with 74MB RAM, a simple 10/100 NIC, and a 120GB hard drive that I've slapped on Gentoo Linux 1.4 (I love a fully-optimized Linux box, and Gentoo lets you do that soooo easily hehe).

I currently have it running as a Samba server (actually, as a Windows PDC & WINS server as well as storage for my network) to administrate the Windows systems, I have ProFTPd running on it as well as sort of a "backup" access into those folders in case samba goes down or is unavailable.  I have Apache2 with PHP up on the system, and MySQL which handles the databases for my phpWebSite and phpBB2, plus for PowerDNS (my server's running as a DNS server as well hehe).  Of course, the system is having minor..... memory issues.  I gotta upgrade the RAM in it.  

I've also been giving my roommate a sort of "crash course" on Linux, Apache, HTML, Java, JavaScript, CSS, PHP, PERL, C++, and pretty much anything else that strays into the fold.  Unfortunately I have a hard time keeping a lot of those subjects separate, and I think I've just left him confused more often than actually helped.
   - Xlorep DarkHelm

My Blog

DiosT

"so, I install apache, then open an html document in Visual Studio 6, then upload it with css to the php website, double check the website with perl and then run the javascript to make me a cup of java as my head explodes?"

yes, i know thats horribly messed up :-P

I never teach anyone more then 2 things at once... teaching my friend HTML now, but not touching CSS until she can make 6-8 pages of HTML by notepad.. currently she uses a program to do em, but I always get calls "How do i make music play! the thing wont let me!" :-P and i send her a notepad document or web link explaining Embed :-P

I could never get Linux to run on my machines, usually because my computer has something it wont support (hyperthreading, brand new nvidia cards, etc.)

My website, now, seems to be going well... got an insert pagescript done so i can add news, working on update and delete next :-P

Xlorep DarkHelm

Aye, I really need to stick to one topic.

Oh, here's something to drool over:

Mach 3.8 Desktop Supercomputer

I like it.  FlashRAM replacement for hard drives, vapor-cooled CPU, the works :)  That's a desktop for the real computer geek.  They also have monitors (3, 4, or soon to be released 2-panel LCD's), laptops and servers.

Of course, with that price tag.......... /shudder

I dunno, if/when I ever get my finances straightened out, I just might shoot for getting one.
   - Xlorep DarkHelm

My Blog

DiosT

I dont like pre-made PC's.. always overpriced..

I built this machine on a $2250 limit:

P4 3.00 GHz 800MHz FSB HT Enabled
Gigabyte KNXP Ultra (dual BIOS, dual voltage regulators, onboard SCSI, Dual-Channel DDR memory, SATA ports, 4 USB slots (2 in back, room for 2 more on-board if case has wires for front/top USB ports)
2x512MB Geil 500MHz Memory
nVidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256MB DDR
2x120GB SATA HDD's
5.1 Surround Sound system
Thermaltake Xaser Case w/window
Creative Audigy Gamer

I also bought a few other trinkets, like tri-light fans, and a cathod tube.. and pulled my EIDE HDD's to run as system drives..

Set up the 20GB as system/boot, a 60GB as backup/paging/scrap drive/downloads/temp folders/web work, and 120GB as Games/School work/Video editing/Image Editing/etc.

Did a basic win2k install, killed half the services, installed SP4, got security patches, did the needed installs, then the machine was set to dominate anything :-)

Anyway, the key to making a good machine is to elimate bottlenecks, and use technology that supports eachother..

I did a search on Intel's website for a motherboard that supported HT, SATA, 800MHz FSB, RAID, everything i wanted, then selected from the list based on what i thought of companies, and special features...

from there I looked at the maximum MHz of ram supported, and did web searching on major websites for the best price... I found NewEgg to be the best at the time... Found a vendor for the processor, and case.. ordered all the parts...

you dont NEED a super overclocked CPU to be a good gamer... just need to seperate the System & game partitions mainly, and have a good amount of read speed on the hard drives so the game can load all it's files quickly...

ultimatly though, usually it's your connection that kills your online gameplay... :-/

DiosT

Oh, I must also say, Dual processors or a HT processor is a must for EQW!

tried running EQ on my 3ghz w/o HT, had one of them always eatting 99% of the processor time.. when i swtched to HT..

1 Process always ate 50%, while i could do something else with the other half of the computer (web browsing was faster, checking e-mail, loading other programs, or even another EQ window)

Just my experiences, i know some people are fine with EQW eatting all the processor time, but I always have my e-mail client, and other simple programs open... find HT to be much better :-)

if you want to dump $5k on a computer, get a dual-xeon 3ghz or something :-)

Xlorep DarkHelm

Aye, they are releasing one of their systems with an Athlon 64 chip in it soon.  And all the intel ones they have listed are HT chips.  The FlashRAM drive tho.... that's sweet.  to read/write at RAM speeds on a hard drive replacement is really next level, eliminates what is probably the biggest bottlenecks on a PC.  Network speed hasn't really been all that much of an issue with me in EQ since I moved back to the states three years ago, and I got a 1.5MBit/512Kbit DSL connection.

Edit: Plus, I was wanting to get a super-cooled system for a while, as my last computer had 2 major problems:  1) heat and 2) power spikes (Nashville power is bad, really really bad).  The latter is covered with a good UPS (I'm thinking 1500VA or more, I'd like no downtime muahahaha), while the former I'm going to totally stomp out of existence with the latest & greatest in cooling tech for PC's.  I just want to make sure that the two things that fried my last computer cease to exist in every concievable way I can get it.  If it also allows for me to overclock my system a little, so be it.

Edit 2: I'm also not simply going to play online games with my computer.  While I think the ship has sailed for me with EQ, and I have been gravitating to WoW (can we say Troll Hunter?), I also usually have about half a dozen things or more going on on my computers when I am using them.  with Linux & WineX, I could split my system up to be a dedicated server for some game me and my friends are playing, while also be playing on the same system, have something open on the latest project I'm working on (like my server currently, getting it configured, and running smoothly is my goal), cruising the message boards I frequent (this one, the WotC Dark Sun board, my old EQ guild's board, and my own board I'm getting fired up), plus the myriad of other things I'm checking on (latest technology news, pricing computer parts, info sites on games I'm interested in, etc), probably have something up on my next "artistic" challenge (like designing phpBB2 & phpWebSite styles, for instance, maybe if WoW has a user-modifiable UI, I might throw my hand at that one too).  I've been thinking of using my computer for a TV in my room, and might even be watching something on that (or at least a movie of mine), while listening to an internet radio/ShoutCast broadcast I like...

Did I mention that I tend to multitask?
   - Xlorep DarkHelm

My Blog

DiosT

hmm...

problem is, if you get a super-charged PC, the power pull on that could kill the UPS...

like plugging in a coffee maker to your UPS (dont ask).. drains so much power the UPS cuts it off...

My full tower right now takes 450W alone, about double what a 'typical' desktop has, if i throw in some kinda fancy cooling system the uptime on the UPS will drop a good bit :-/

if ya have the money, go for it.. maybe look into the refrigdration cooling system

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2003q1/asetek-vapochill/index.x?pg=1

that's one example :-P bwahaha!

ShaitynAB

Sorry, even though I was once an Engineering Math/Computer Science major I drunk my way out of college and have no clue what you guys are talking about.

Now, if you wanna talk about the specific gravity and absorption of mineral aggregates and their relationship to roadway pavement durability, come see me. :)
Shaityn Stormweaver
65 Ogre Feral Lord
The Insane-Antonius Bayle
My Magelo
The Beastlords Den-Home of Everquest Beastlords

DiosT

ok, whats the effect of ash on pavement?

Why wont Virginia use ash in their mixture for the asphalt ?