Main Menu

MySQL, phpMyAdmin, and Access 97

Started by DiosT, January 13, 2004, 10:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xlorep DarkHelm

Quote from: DiosThmm...

problem is, if you get a super-charged PC, the power pull on that could kill the UPS...

like plugging in a coffee maker to your UPS (dont ask).. drains so much power the UPS cuts it off...

My full tower right now takes 450W alone, about double what a 'typical' desktop has, if i throw in some kinda fancy cooling system the uptime on the UPS will drop a good bit :-/

if ya have the money, go for it.. maybe look into the refrigdration cooling system

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2003q1/asetek-vapochill/index.x?pg=1

that's one example :-P bwahaha!

Aye, that's the one those computers came built with.  VapoChill is cool, but Prometeia Mach II is better.  If I was to build the system myself, I'd use a Mach II over a VapoChill.  But the price they list for their "gamer" system on my first link is actually within about $200-$400 of the cost it would be for me to build the system myself.  That's pretty darn close, most pre-built systems are off by $900-$1200 on their prices.

Edit: PLus, the power pull from the freezer unit is one of the top reasons I'm looking into getting a 1500VA or probably higher (closer to 3000VA) UPS..  I'm having to compensate for the drain on the system, y'know?
"I'm not responcabel fer my comuter's spleling errnors."
   - Xlorep DarkHelm

Member of the Epic Bureau at http://athas.org.
Offline: DarkHelm.net
My Blog
WoW: Oguler, Orc Hunter, WWN East, Medivh server

DiosT

Looks like the Athlon 64 is gonna bring in some good challenge for Intel...

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20031021/index.html

I hope so, While I like Athlons, I couldnt go without a Pentium when i bought this computer.... Athlon 3200 simply had a FAR too low core clock speed, it couldnt keep up with it's numbering scheme, they only put out the 3200 to compete' with the p4 by name...

Looks like i might buy the athlon 64 next, unless P4's new processor works wonders :-)

Xlorep DarkHelm

I agree, the AthonXP's weren't cutting it, but the Athlon64 seems to be rocking.  I dunno about Intel's new baby tho.
   - Xlorep DarkHelm

My Blog

DiosT

OMG DarkHelm, you just made my friend list lol :-P in the MB anyway...

Someone who doesnt buy the marketing numbers and hype! it's amazing !

yeesh, i remember back when i bought my P4 3ghz, Was getting loads of crap about how an Athlon 3000 was 'better'...

CS buddies were like "dude man, Athlons are WAY better for CS!"

Heh, only if it's in Direct X mode, does CS even support Direct X ? hmm.. I know in OpenGL an athlon XP cries...

People think Althon architecture is 'better'.. and rightly so, it could be considered as such.. but that doesnt mean a 3k Athlon = 3.0GHz Pentium... They are ONLY equal when Athlon's architecture allows the increase (mainly: Specificly and nearly exlcusively in Direct 3D games... NOT in Burning, Ripping CD's, Compression/extraction, OpenGL, or much else)

It's not Athlon 3000 == Pentium 3.0GHz, it's:
Athlon 2.3GHz, w/ arch. boost ~= Pentium 3.0GHz, otherwise:
Athlon 2.3GHz, w/no arch. boost ~= Pent 2.4GHz

Wow i rambled.. anyway.. point is LOOK at benchmarks!

heh, even those weren't enough to shut up the CS friends.. heh... dense people :-/ even pulled benchmarks from 3 different websites

Xlorep DarkHelm

I *always* look at benchmarks.  As far as I am concerned, I trust what a company says about as far as I can throw it.  Plus, companies pay literally millions of dollars in advertising, plus what all a company can do to influence magazine columns and such leaves me feeling the legitamacy of such sources as questionable in the extreme, I would much rather look at the cold-hard facts to make my decision as to if something is good or not.

Tom's Hardware does a decent job by presenting not just one or two different benchmarks, but quite a number of them, from different companies, and even then they test average software that is being used by many of the people they are presenting it to as benchmarks as well.  To me, that's pretty good in the line of coverage.  However, I also look for other benchmarks from other sites, as since Tom's Hardware is a single website, run by a single organization, it too could be swayed to present things in a certian light.  Not that I have seen them do that before, I'm just saying it's possible.  I am always on the lookout for new sites with comperable tests.
   - Xlorep DarkHelm

My Blog

DiosT

My CS friends were convinced that ATI & Athlon's were god, and nVidia & Intel are paying tom's hardware for better benchmarks...

oddly, they seemed to quiet down when i pointed out the Athlon advertisements all over Tom's Hardware :-P

I Use Tom's Hardware, and 2-3 other benchmarks i google for before i buy any hardware.. also read the reviews :-)

Thats how i came across my Xaser Case...  8 fans, full tower :-D /drool

The computer already weighs 60+ pounds, and it's just a 'desktop', dont need another 20-40 points of cooling when i don't overclock(much) :-P

Xlorep DarkHelm

I wish it would be released in the states, but here's the handheld computer I'd love to snag:

http://www.dynamism.com/zaurus/

But, I'm sort of a Linux Junkie.  That site has an english translation of the sortware on it, but the product is sold by Sharp only in Japan.  /sigh.
   - Xlorep DarkHelm

My Blog

ShaitynAB

Quote from: DiosTok, whats the effect of ash on pavement?

Why wont Virginia use ash in their mixture for the asphalt ?

Mixtures that have been produced using fly ash as a component typically demonstrate a higher tensile strength ratio, which indicates a greater resistance to long term stripping.  For this reason, some states allow it's use as an anti-stripping agent in place of lime or liquid agent.    However, there have also been reports that the use of fly ash in pavements can produce a tender, rut-prone pavement, especially in warmer climates.  For this reason it probably is not a good idea to use fly ash in a mixture being placed in a high traffic area.

I actually worked in Virginia for about 5 years and up until the point that I relocated to Florida fly ash was allowed, although not commonly utilized, for use as a mineral filler.  If this has changed, I am unsure as to the exact reasons behind VDOT's decision.  Across the state, Virginia has in the past experienced significant problems with rutting.  Perhaps the reports of rutting associated with the use of fly ash has caused them to rethink their stance until further research has been completed?  Or perhaps the fly ash available in Virginia does not meet the clay content or fine aggregate angularity specifications.  /shrug

Regardless of why VDOT will not allow fly ash to be used in asphalt pavements, I can think of several reasons, from both a design and cost-effectiveness standpoint, that I would not personally incorporate fly ash.

1)  With each asphalt plant recycling an average of around 20000 TONS per year  the highway construction industy does more recycling than just about any other industry that I can think of.  However, this is probably not done out of a sense of altruism as the use of reclaimed asphalt pavement saves the contractor hundreds of thousands (millions in larger companies) of dollars per year.  As fly ash normally has a large percentage of minus 75 micron material, it would greatly decrease the percentage of RAP a contractor can place in the mixture.  As every pound of RAP that the contractor uses is basically free mineral aggregate and liquid asphalt cement, any decrease in the percentage used lowers the profit margin for the mix.

2)  In the past, filler to asphalt content ratio has been measured using actual, instead of effective asphalt content.  With the implementation of the SHRP program and Superpave, states are now requiring the use of effective asphalt content in this calculation, effectivly reducing the amount of minus #200 material allowed.  With this change, many contractors have had to limit their use of RAP and/or mineral filler in Superpave mixes already.  See #1.

3)  At one time, lime was the most highly utilized anti-stripping agent across the industry.  This was fairly costly as lime must be kept dry at all times, while still being able to be metered into an outdoors asphalt plant.  This generally called for the use of a mineral aggregate silo, which filled both functions rather well.  Now that liquid anti-stripping agents have been made available, most contractors have moved over to the new product, getting rid of the headaches of storage silos and lime with a sigh of relief.  The fact that fly ash would require this same sort of system would be a great deterrent to most producers.

4)  Doesn't fly ash just sound yucky?
Shaityn Stormweaver
65 Ogre Feral Lord
The Insane-Antonius Bayle
My Magelo
The Beastlords Den-Home of Everquest Beastlords

Xlorep DarkHelm

It seems to fit well with asphalt
   - Xlorep DarkHelm

My Blog

DiosT

My mother happens to be high up in a county government in Northern VA (purposely being vague)..

anyway, she was mentioning how there's tons of ash they have to send to landfills simply because VDOT wont allow it in roads, i think it had to do with the unknown long-term stability of asphalt laid with ash as a component...

Currently the ash is just being put in piles (wasted), when it -could- possibly be used for something useful...

Just like recycled glass is used in some roads.. though.. you could melt down glass and recycle it couldnt you ? cant do that with ash.. which is the problem...

Ash is ash.. it's the left overs of burning something.. you cant do -anything- with it... except use it or dump it!

Wish they'd use it, instead of creating more parks... (Landfills typically get turned into parks when the landfill is 'full')

Ash wont ever decompose will it ?

DiosT

back on topic:

Whats the difference between these 2 bits of code?

[code:1]$inssql = "INSERT INTO news SET " .
"ID='$id', " .
"Author='$name', " .
"Date='$date', " .
"Subject='$subject', " .
"Text='$text'";
if (mysql_query($inssql)) {
echo("<P>New Record Added.
");
}[/code:1]and[code:1]
$insert = "INSERT INTO news ( ID , Author , Date , Subject , Text ) VALUES ('$id', '$name', '$date', '$subject', '$text');";
mysql_query('$insert');
[/code:1]

The first code bit WILL insert, but the 2nd bit WILL NOT... and it drives me nuts..

trying to get the insert script to work, and eventually I did by accident, then i broke it again... couldnt fix it.... hours later found the first script for inserting, and tried it out...

and it worked... Why will the 2nd code bit not work? I had something similar to it working at one point.. by playing with the $insert and the mysql_query eventually got it to work.. and the $insert was actually a pre-made statement with no variables inside it...

so as i said, the first code bit IS working now, while the 2nd code bit WONT work...

Also, do i need the 2nd parameter on the mysql_query for every attempt? or ONLY the first mysql_query() line/connection?

Mindlet

You are trying to concentate there. You are missing 1 important thing though. You need a . before and after the variable names.

What I always do when creating new sql in php is echo the created line to ensure that its what I was expecting.

DiosT

actually i did have echo's, about 6 of them, adding in other things like nl2br() and str_replace() trying to remove new lines and put in
tags, couldnt get it to output
tags though...

Will try it with the .'s in there when i work on php later today

queeg reddwarf

Quote from: DiosTIm trying to keep in synch the following:

My Personal website
My Desktop computer
My Laptop computer

My website ONLY can export SQL easily through phpMyAdmin, from there I'm having troubles getting that information into the MySQL database i run locally...

A Computer professor mentioned trying Access, but Access doesnt support blog-type fields, and memo is only ~700 characters, when I need to put 5,000+ characters in an SQL field...

My laptop & Desktop are both set up to do 'localhost' web work, with php, mysql, etc. all successfully installed, I can pull up my website and it queries the database fine, pulling data that's there, and displaying it correctly on the website...

The problem comes when I want to synch the data between all 3 sources... I can manually add a field on any of the 3 items, but i cant find a way to do imports/expores in a way that works..

which means i cant keep all 3 locations in synch...

Anyone solve this kinda problem before? The root of the matter is i cant find a way to export that i can easily import...

How can i Export from phpmyadmin in a way that i can command-line mysqlimport the table into the local database.. then how should i mysqldump so i can import to phpmyadmin ?

Keep in mind i'm very novice to SQL, I mainly use one or two clients to edit the database.. I dont know the command-line options all too well... nor can i go in to the mysql shell and manually manipulate the database without looking up commands

http://www.mysqlfront.de/

you can dump from one db straight into another.  Best part about it is that its free.

Xlorep DarkHelm

From a glance, it looks like mysqlfront is a Windows-centric equivalent of phpmyadmin.  Might be useful, as there's some things that just can't be done over a web browser as easily as in a dedicated app.
   - Xlorep DarkHelm

My Blog