Main Menu

Please help me with these damn Pop-ups while playing EQ

Started by KungFool, January 19, 2004, 08:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xlorep DarkHelm

If you have a program like Kazaa running in the background, it tends to pop-up windows on it's own.

Also - why not simply stop using Internet Explorer, and get a standards-based browser like Netscape Navigator, Mozilla or even better, Mozilla Firebird?  Then simply make it your primary broswer, tell it to not allow any pop-up's (ever), and you'll not have them bother you.  Of course, if the pop-ups are still happening (like it sounds like they are) even when you aren't using your web browser, then.... that does sound suspiciously like the Messenger Service.
"I'm not responcabel fer my comuter's spleling errnors."
   - Xlorep DarkHelm

Member of the Epic Bureau at http://athas.org.
Offline: DarkHelm.net
My Blog
WoW: Oguler, Orc Hunter, WWN East, Medivh server

Skanda

Quote from: Xlorep DarkHelmMozilla Firebird?  

Haven't seen a single pop up since I started using Firebird. God, where has this browser been all my life?

Mindlet

Firebird is the greatest however I have one problem. I can't load up my guilds flag database in it. The guy that wrote it refuses to make it compliant so I need to use IE to load it. The problme is that IE doesn't follow the standards and uses some of its own quirks that people insist on using. I still use firebird for everything else.

If you must use IE though simply download and install the google toolbar that also blocks popups.

Skanda

Quote from: MindletFirebird is the greatest however I have one problem. I can't load up my guilds flag database in it. The guy that wrote it refuses to make it compliant so I need to use IE to load it. The problme is that IE doesn't follow the standards and uses some of its own quirks that people insist on using. I still use firebird for everything else.

I have the exact same problems with some of the pages on my guild site. Although on my guild site everyone that uses a Netscabe based browser seems to have the same problem. Our site admin said he was going to look into it. I've run into a few other sites that won't load properly on Firebird. All I did was download an add on that lets me right click and select "View this page in IE"

Sorien

Quote from: JillieMTWell, at worse, you just fall back to the OS reinstall dance and start from scratch...  the hubby does it to our 3 systems about every 6 months to clear out the gunk... :)

Every 6 eh?  That will definately get it.  hehe.  I only do it to my system every year.  Seems like too much of a hassle to do it every 6 months.