Main Menu

Level 65: Is it even worth getting Epic?

Started by Chakkorisi, April 07, 2004, 08:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chakkorisi

I am a level 65 BST with about 30+ AAs.

My gear is pretty much all bazaar bought, but it is all high end.

For Haste, I have Cloak of Flames, and I have a Golden Wrap of the Compact (primary) and Waning Light Katar (secondary).

Aside from the 5% increase in haste, I am not seeing any benefit.

Am I missing the boat folks?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Chakk

Oneiromancer

I'm in a similar boat...tried to do my Epic at earlier levels, but never got people interested enough in helping me, and just ended up doing other stuff to.  I'm using those Wraps in secondary, and an Immaculate Elven Dagger with a 75 point cold proc augment in my Primary.  I think I would definitely use the Secondary part of the Epic, and put the Wraps in Primary.  And possibly even use the Primary ones when tanking, that proc has got to be some serious aggro.

I'm still working on it every so often...killed 3 of my Spirits with guildmates recently...and even if I never use them I'll still do it just because it's a quest I want to complete.  Enough AAs, and the Tak pet focus aug, and I'll be trying to solo and/or duo more of it.  I think it's worth doing just for the prestige factor.   :)

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Rhaynne

Quotethat proc has got to be some serious aggro

Surprisingly, no.

Oneiromancer

Weird...you would think a slow and a DoT should be massive aggro...I guess it would partly depend on what type of DoT it was (i.e., Poison).  Well, if this has already been discussed, I apologize, I haven't read much of this particular sub-forum.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Tastian

Beast epic value falls off more and more as you advance.  Before 60 it's amazing and off hand is even good for awhile.  I know many time beastlords that still use.  However, if I already had 36% haste and two solid hth weapons, then no I wouldn't bother with doing the epic.  I just let other beasts have scouts/drops a little sooner.  It's a fairly fun, pretty easy quest and the look is cool, but if you got it I don't think you'd really use it.

Deiadrox

These weapons are quite obtainable.  When raids arent going on give your epic a shot, its really fun, and the final items are nice.  IMO the stats on the offhand are nice considering the difficulty to obtain them is, of course your going to be able to upgrade, but now you can raid upgrade another slot in your inventory before you replace your secondary.

With stats on an offhand like 125hps 15sta 40% haste 30 attack 10dex and 5 str with some saves to boot its a wonder why any non ub3r beastlord has it..
Tho the primary can be easy replaced as I now sport a wicked shank from BoT.

Is was worth every hour I spent getting it.

Skanda

I work on my scouts when there's absolutly nothing else to do. If I ever do get the epics I'll likely wear them long enough to snap a pic and then shove them into a dark dusty corner of my bank. Basicly if you are part of a raid guild, even one still in Luclin/Tier 1 PoP, there are better weapons out there.

Deiadrox

While I agree with you, the offhand is still a comparable weapon to most lower planes stuff.  There are many many slots in your inventory, and even if you expect to obtain an item from rading once a week, you're still left with many many weeks to fill the gaps.  Why not get your epic while your not raiding, and have a free upgrade.  Honestly, I am very new to everquest but this epic took me no more than a week and a half to complete.  I wish items of this caliber were so readily available as this.

Skanda

The damage ratio is higher for the WLK I currently have in my offhand then the offhand epic. My main hand weapon which I picked up from AL in Ssra has a much better ratio then the main hand epic. The epics quickly become outdated once you start getting into the high end of Luclin.

Really the largest advantage of the epics is the haste. Once you find a replacment haste item it's easy to find better weapons.

Chakkorisi

Thank you all for the great responses!

I generally two-box with my 65 druid (AA's out the wazoo), so I would gather I could get my Epic fairly easily, however, if for nothing else, I'd rather leave the Scout camps available to a fellow beastlord who would actually use their Epics.    :)

Next up . . . gather enough cabbage to start getting me a Stonehide Tunic I guess!

Thanks again everyone!

Chakk

swamprat

I love my epics and I am glad I busted my tail getting them so early. The off hand epic is strong with the hps, att, and haste. Since Haste items cost lots, and I'm always broke, I'm guessing this will be my off-hand for a while.

Pre-60 the main hand epic proc is the bomb. Forget the DoT, it's the jump in slow from 30% to 55% that is the key. Soloing in Nurga it is amazing what this little bit of a slow bump will do for my hps at the end of a fight. I will replace the main hand epic once I get one of the LDON hth, or the cash for a WLK, but I am happy with it right now.

I will draw agro off the best tanks if the main hand procs two times back to back while I'm nuking for DPS. I don't keep it very long but I will get the mob to look at me on mult-procs.

If you solo a lot and don't already have a good haste item, do the epic. Find your self a 65 tank and a healer and you gtg. Most level 65 LDON groups can do all of your battles for you.
Swamprat and Croczilla
57 Beastlord on Xev, BBSCO
My Really Bad Gear

Jkal_Shihar

I look at it this way.

If like the above posted, you can't afford any other haste type item then do it.

If to feel like a accomplishment to say "Yes I've done the epic run, how may I help you if I can young_beastlord01??".

Or, if you are one of those players that only log on a few hours a night or week and which this fits under I cant afford any other haste item at the moment.

Then go ahead and do it. I kinda fit the last one in that I only play a few hours a night now and just am not in any mood to farm 30+k for another haste item. Not a raider but I will help my guild out if I can and not too late.

I basically have been cutting back on my play time and spending more RL time doing other things. (trying to teach my daughter how to ride a bike and play soccer now ).

I think I finally got mine at lvl 60 and been using the off hand ever since. Plus, its nice getting tells every now and then from younger ones either getting rdy to start it or need a few pointers on it. Which in itself has a nice sense of pride to the community.
Animist Jkal Shi`har and tigger
Arch Animist of the Tribunal Server
My Magelo
*still my main since dec. 2001*

Noriko

If you have to ask, the answer is no.  Do it only for fun.  The haste on it is never going to be enough to offset the lost in DPS.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=774007">Noriko . http://www.celestialrising.com">Celestial Rising . http://pub228.ezboard.com/bxevserverboards">Xev . http://www.beastlords.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1593">BST65.80/Xv h++ 3khp 3km ft13 r9 G++<3 e++ o+ T+++ L++ H+++@ f g b- t++>++++ D- !X

mac173

Quote from: Jkal_ShiharI basically have been cutting back on my play time and spending more RL time doing other things. (trying to teach my daughter how to ride a bike and play soccer now ).

More rewarding than 100 epics.

Enjoy it, they grow up TOO fast.

<sniff>

Jkal_Shihar

QuoteJkal_Shihar wrote:
I basically have been cutting back on my play time and spending more RL time doing other things. (trying to teach my daughter how to ride a bike and play soccer now ).

More rewarding than 100 epics.

Enjoy it, they grow up TOO fast.

<sniff>

yeah, cause of this. I'm glad I finished my epic and still use the offhand one. cause lets face it, I could never take the time now to bother with farming for plat or an item.
and nothing beats camping Brother Bear with your daughter  :D
Animist Jkal Shi`har and tigger
Arch Animist of the Tribunal Server
My Magelo
*still my main since dec. 2001*