Main Menu

Communication Concern

Started by Telocsilver, September 02, 2004, 08:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telocsilver

With the news of the improvement to our skills, I am somewhat conserned about the role of the community reps as seen by SOE.

In a thread in the main forum regarding the skill improvement Tastian said:

Quote[Tue Aug 31 23:40:02 2004] You have become better at 1H Blunt! (226)

QuoteYeah I've been straining to keep my mouth shut for awhile now, but since this finally got pushed to test and the information came off from there I can post that even if I can't tell the whole story. I think it's safe to say though that all beastlords (and maybe rng/war too 8P ) will be pretty happy. The skill defnitely goes up slow, but hey it's a few points behind, so give it some time. Soon someone should be able to post a log snip it of them at the new cap(s).

My concern is this: Why did he have to keep his mouth shut?  It was my belief that the correspondents were meant to increase the communication between the players and SOE, not become another choke point.  While the likely answer to his silence was some form of NDA, I still have to ask why.  The devs were obviously planning on putting it in when they moved it to test, why couldn't he have told us then, one of the labels for top 10 concerns is "Currently on Test server". If the community (or Tastian himself) still has to parse and determine that something was even implimented, before speaking about it, that just screams lack of communication to me.

As a voice for the community, the reps are obviously working  well, as seen by our issues being addressed, but as a voice of SOE I am disapointed.

Telocbea
65 Beast of Vazaelle.

agama

Quote from: TelocsilverWith the news of the improvement to our skills, I am somewhat conserned about the role of the community reps as seen by SOE.

In a thread in the main forum regarding the skill improvement Tastian said:

Quote[Tue Aug 31 23:40:02 2004] You have become better at 1H Blunt! (226)

QuoteYeah I've been straining to keep my mouth shut for awhile now, but since this finally got pushed to test and the information came off from there I can post that even if I can't tell the whole story. I think it's safe to say though that all beastlords (and maybe rng/war too 8P ) will be pretty happy. The skill defnitely goes up slow, but hey it's a few points behind, so give it some time. Soon someone should be able to post a log snip it of them at the new cap(s).

My concern is this: Why did he have to keep his mouth shut?  It was my belief that the correspondents were meant to increase the communication between the players and SOE, not become another choke point.  While the likely answer to his silence was some form of NDA, I still have to ask why.  The devs were obviously planning on putting it in when they moved it to test, why couldn't he have told us then, one of the labels for top 10 concerns is "Currently on Test server". If the community (or Tastian himself) still has to parse and determine that something was even implimented, before speaking about it, that just screams lack of communication to me.

As a voice for the community, the reps are obviously working  well, as seen by our issues being addressed, but as a voice of SOE I am disapointed.

Telocbea
65 Beast of Vazaelle.

my guess is it was on the beta server and the nda prevents him from discussing it.

Telocsilver

My concern though is when it hit the test server.

Quote...but since this finally got pushed to test and the information came off from there I can post that even if I can't tell the whole story...

This sounds to me like he could not reveal anything until there was a sighting be it his own or from another player.  And even after it has been revield, he can't tell the the whole story, why not?

Teloc

Tastian

I didn't know for sure when certain things were going to happen or exactly what was going to happen until quite recently.  It's been a long process and as most know we've been after this for awhile.  Updating everytime I submitted another weapon analysis wouldn't have done much good and "currently being discussed" doesn't go over too well with most hehe.

Omens beta is getting hectic, I was told most things were put off, but I'd been getting the feeling that this might actually happen.  To be honest I was hoping it'd happen sometime soon after omens, I didn't think it'd even hit test before omens.  Then playing on test it happend and I was like "yay" hehe.  

I can't/don't talk about certain things that just aren't known or might change.  To be honest things went slow at first, and then moved really fast toward the end.  I didn't want any false hope or people shouting nerf like they do when beta spells change on lucy if this didn't happen or if piercing got left out or whatever.  

Guess just being cautious hehe.  I take enough heat over silly stuff as it is, I didn't want to say what I thought might happen or not have a time table or anything like that.  Kinda like the BF fix I like seeing it on test and know it's working before I get super excited about it.

Kherash

Kejah
75 Vah Shirl Beastlord
Prexus
SpiritWalker Guild

Chance favors the prepared mind.
Louis Pasteur

Kinash

Quote from: KherashThere is a god.

Uh... not there is not a god... what kind of Vah Shir would say that! We are Agnostic ya know!  :twisted:
Kinash Kattar
Level 66, Khati Sha Apprentice
Tholuxe Paells (Bertox)
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=594639

Kherash

LOL.

I must be eating too much catnip of late.
Kejah
75 Vah Shirl Beastlord
Prexus
SpiritWalker Guild

Chance favors the prepared mind.
Louis Pasteur

Eatbugs

QuoteIt was my belief that the correspondents were meant to increase the communication between the players and SOE, not become another choke point.

Look at how communication has been going lately - it would be tough to say that Tastian has become a choke point.  (We seem to be getting our concerns addressed, and fairly quickly.)  "They're considering this, but it may or may not even go to the test server, much less go live" isn't a useful announcement, and I wouldn't expect him to make one like that.

Edit: typos suck.
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal

Kossos

why is there people looking to start trouble with Tastion he is doing a great job

grow up and leave him be i really do not think the ones that are picking out stupid stuff could do any better

your doing great Tastion dont let the few screw over the many
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=725398" TARGET="_blank"> Kossos 65 Feral Lord
http://www.clubfu.net/" TARGET="_blank">Club Fu
Bristlebane

Hrann

Tastian sucks!

j/k ;) I prefer a cautious approach to information releasing - it would be a lot worse if the SOE Correspondent role became rumor generator.  We'd have a ton of useless threads if Tastian told us something MAY be implemented at such and such a time, and then that time came to pass and it didn't happen.