Main Menu

This normal?

Started by Thurman, July 14, 2005, 09:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thurman

I am a level 70 bst who has still not been able to acquire my level 69-70 spells.  So I'm still stuck with the level 65 slow spell.  It has reached the point I almost can't act as a main slower in a regular exp group in DoN's or MPG or RSS.  I get resisted sometimes 6-7 times straight when trying to slow.  Occassionally I'll still get one slowed on the first try but it's becoming rare.

Just a little frustrated and wondering if this is a normal problem for other beasts?  As a pretty casual player I rarely land MPG and RSS groups so getting the spell runes is proving quite difficult.  I may be stuck with the 65 slow for some time.

jitathab

Having spent over 100 hrs in MPG and RSS I still only have 1 70 spell but do have all 69, so many "normal" people will be in same state.

And call me crazy but, some did argue for the better slow so bsts acting as slowers in MPG/RSS could do the job, SoE thought optherwise, you have to spend a shed load of time in these zones to get your spells or just be a lucky bast

Dreead

I have all my 70/69 spells, except the slow.

I was giong to try and camp a glowing rune, till i heard that's not still not very good, and said screw it I'll wait until one drops somewhere, not going to soloy camp for a 70 rune for a not-so-much upgrade.

Khayden

I have all my 69s and one 70.  I've done about 30 hours in MPG and another 50 or so in RSS.  I've passed on some rolls though because I've been in guild groups where a cleric or druid is gonna get group bali or oak next.

I know people who've had much better luck and I could have spent more time doing them but... I hate grinding :)

I'll get them at some point but to be honest you don't miss what you haven't had.  I don't have major problems slowing anywhere really, I just spam it until it lands and use /disc protective if I have to.

Khayden
Khayden
75 Barbarian Wildcaller of Mithaniel Marr
Bertoxxulous

Grbage

I would say you had a bad run with the RNG. At 65 in MPG it often took me 6-7 tries to slow mobs but that went down as I leveled. Now MPG is 1-2 with the occasional 3rd try to slow, RSS is typically 2-3 tries with many landing on the first go and DoN is usually 1-2 attempts in the higher missions.

Havent gotten the 70 slow myself but with it only having -30mr and half the duration it can't be anything spectacular.
Grbage Heep
85 Beast of Torv

Jzath

I wanted 70 so I could get the DoN armor.  I have 1 69 spell and none of my 70.  I am not anxious to get them.  Been working AA's.
Jzath, beastlord
70 bloodmoons
FV server
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1215044

Nusa

MPG has a lot of resistant mobs....the other slowing classes have issues with them too. RSS has easier to slow mobs than MPG, as a rule.

Don't expect the 70 slow to make much difference. It'll land a little easier, but not often enough to change your experience. On exp mobs, I generally only give it 3 tries...after that, my time is better spent adding dps and killing the mob rather than stealing aggro with more slows.

Create groups where slowing is a mana-saving luxury, not a requirement for the the group to thrive. And if you have a magician or bard  in the group, make sure they're debuffing for you on the resistant ones.

Thurman

This topic really shouldn't have been moved, as my question had nothing to do with on how to obtain the rune drops for my spells. 

The question was if any other beasts were having problems with slows and resists at that level of the game.  Mods are becoming a little move happy.

JillieMT

Well, actually, it should have originally been in Spell Discussion, versus Campfire... but you are right, Quest/Drop Spells wasn't quite right either.  :-D
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

Kanan

I would get constant resists on the 65 slow.. so much so that I was getting really damn pissy about it, damn near giving up on landing the slows.

The new slow is heavenly.  I think most resists I've gotten have been 4.  The huvul's in MPG, my traditionally most hated for slowing mobs, are so damn much easier.  I know -20 ain't much of a resist check decr, but its better than no adjustment.  Sadly, I dont' think I've gotten an RSS group since I got it (got damn lucky & rolled a 98 in a destruction trial that decided to put out with a rune) to test it out.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Skratz

took me 30-40 hours in rss to get all my 69/70 spells.  rolling against the rest of the groups, and only 1 rune till everyone got one.  though during that time i lost rolls on a total of 18 hp augs. (65/70)(18 is the real and true count).  Lost on them to all classes....clerics, wiz, magi, nec included.  I had been acting as offtank incase we got 2 mobs, and the druid won the roll. I told the druid he can start offtanking since he needed it more. (i stopped pulling aggro off him and he died.  told me he wouldnt roll against me again)

WITH the new slow:
rss mobs take 1-2 slows (usually 1)
mpg mobs take 1-2 slows (usually 2, though still had a 14 resist chain on a huvul alternateing between 65 and 70 slow)
DoN Creator mobs take 1-2(usually 1)
~Predator Skratz Nsniff º¿º
75 Beastlord of Vazaelle(Troll Power!)
Now residing in Maelin Starpyre

Grbage

Forgot about a little gem I learned to get slow to land easier in MPG. Was grouping with a few guildies and slow was landing much easier then normal. When I mentioned it in /group the ranger (puller) said he had learned to use annul magic to pull with because it made it easier for the tank to peel agro from him on incoming. I've played with this and it definatly "seems" (we know how perception can distort truth) as if slow lands a lot easier with a few slots debuffed first. BTW I use annul a time or two on mobs who run away at sow+ speeds instead of doing the slow death march. It certainly brings them down to a reasonable death march again.
Grbage Heep
85 Beast of Torv

Bengali

Quote from: Grbage on August 10, 2005, 06:30:22 PM
Forgot about a little gem I learned to get slow to land easier in MPG. Was grouping with a few guildies and slow was landing much easier then normal. When I mentioned it in /group the ranger (puller) said he had learned to use annul magic to pull with because it made it easier for the tank to peel agro from him on incoming. I've played with this and it definatly "seems" (we know how perception can distort truth) as if slow lands a lot easier with a few slots debuffed first. BTW I use annul a time or two on mobs who run away at sow+ speeds instead of doing the slow death march. It certainly brings them down to a reasonable death march again.

It's not just perception.  Caster mobs will self buff themselves with shielding-type buffs, which add to their magic resists (between 30-40 MR) in addition to hps and AC.  Enchanter mobs will buff everything around them with haste and magic resist (at least 40 MR), and I think even the priest mobs will cast magic resist buffs but I'm not 100% sure.  Just dispelling these buffs can lower a mob's magic resist by up to 80 points, which has more of an effect than tash.  Dispelling a hasted mob before it gets to camp will lower its damage considerably and lower the chance of people dying in case slow is resisted.  Also, there are various mob innate self-buffs that you want dispelled anyway, like the damage mitigation buff (Chaos Guard) that various Ikaav mobs will cast on themselves.  Even the panthers in Ascent will buff themselves with Feral Roar (50% haste) so dispelling them on inc acts almost like an unresistable slow.

Dispells are your friend, which is why another reason that we get robbed is that other classes get serious upgrades to dispells (like the beneficial only dispells that rangers and high-end monks got) and we got diddly.
Savagespirit Bengali Grimmspirit, Scion of Shar Vahl

"My friend Mark said that he saw Bengali totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.
And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"