Main Menu

Riwwi, what's the best tactic?

Started by Savrik-Karana, August 23, 2004, 04:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savrik-Karana

In my sig you can check my gear.

I've been soloing here in the arena mostly, taking out the golems as I can.  I only have my own buffs because I hate timing my play to buffs and having to pay for them on top of it.

I almost always use the same tactic.  Pull with slow to the middle of the arena.  Kite around a little until the pet takes aggro.  DoT with plague and scorpion venom.  When the pet needs his second heal, run in and melee until I hit 50%.  Pull back and heal/keep DoT's up.  When death march starts, beat the crap outta it.  Heal/Med till full and repeat.

The problem is this leaves me with a LOT of downtime, as every fight gets me down to 10%ish or less mana and 40-50% health.  The pet is focused, so he has no upkeep during downtime, but still, one kill every 10 minutes or so sucks.

So, advice?  Of course I'm here for the tunic and nothing else, once I get the shirt I'm gone and never coming back unless I have to.

Thanks guys

DontPetBear

Just hit 65 this weekend and decided to try my luck in Riwwi.  I just sat at entrance to zone and pulled to there.  Could get the 2 walkers, one static on left as you enter and the 2 Screambringers on entrance to courtyard area per cycle.  This was with C5, tribute and 9 on me tho.

Once i was down to self-buffs and tribute, pulls really slowed down.  I was lucky to get 3 down before repops.  I usually left the static Noc alone and pulled the walkers and maybe one Screambringer.  Went to check out the arena but a guild grp in there told me to beat it lol.   If the mobs in arena don't proc that frickin Chaos Claw i'm heading there.

The mobs i was fighting didn't hit too hard (300+ max), and with my AA's didn't hit that often.  I would pull with slow, hit /disc and chain out my nukes and SV.  Then I would melee down, backing off at 60% or so if needed.  Sometimes the proc would land early a cpl of times, and i'd just sit in the corner and watch pet beat em up.  Probably gonna grab a few guildies and try it that way.  Really slow and boring there solo.

Guess i really didn't help you out much.  Hopefully someone else can give you some good advice.  I'm gonna re-read the Tunic threads and look for tips myself.
Dgam - 70 - Beastlord

Kylaz

Well, Just a few notes:

1) Get Virtue. I've been hunting in riwwi a lot, and the added AC/HP you get from virtue really makes a big difference in uptime (my AC s00cks.)

2) No need to go to arena - it is better pulling near a zone. The only reason you want to be in Arena is for the named that often spawn there - but you wont take them solo and would have to die or train the zone.

3) The best for me in there is : pull with slow, melee with pet until my hp are < 3k. heal self, heal pet, go back fighting. sometimes at that moment I just sit some waiting my pet to lose some hp while I regen mana. Nuke hard & slam when mob starts running away. Of course, healing AAs make a biig difference with that style of fighting.
Kylaz - Feral Troll
Main Entry:liz·ard
Etymology:Middle English liserd, from Middle French laisarde, from Latin lacerta (Date:14th century)
1 : any of a suborder (Lacertilia) of reptiles distinguished from the snakes by a fused inseparable lower jaw, a single temporal opening, external ears, and eyes with movable lids; broadly : any relatively long-bodied reptile (as a crocodile or dinosaur) with legs and tapering tail

Raaski Razorclaws

Kylaz your number 2 reason is wrong. Arena is better than zone in for a very good reason. The stone guys (converted laborers) only hit max for ~400 (instead of 500+ like Nocs/Mastruqs) and DON"T proc the chaos claw, also you can get the Aneuk's (spelling?...chain guys) quite often who also don't proc Chaos Claw. I can pull the 4 stone guys (without any downtime), see if the PHs for nameds are Aneuk's (is so attack, if not let them despawn), then pull "an officiator" from the ledge (can do if you got suspend minion 2), med up then start over.

Also if you sit in the middle of the arena or on the wall near the middle you will never get aggro from anything so no worries of that (aka, you can just let the nameds despawn).

Kylaz

Good point, Raas, I stand corrected ;)
Kylaz - Feral Troll
Main Entry:liz·ard
Etymology:Middle English liserd, from Middle French laisarde, from Latin lacerta (Date:14th century)
1 : any of a suborder (Lacertilia) of reptiles distinguished from the snakes by a fused inseparable lower jaw, a single temporal opening, external ears, and eyes with movable lids; broadly : any relatively long-bodied reptile (as a crocodile or dinosaur) with legs and tapering tail

Oneiromancer

Been hunting in Riwwi for a short while too.  I prefer Virtue over 9 mostly for when the mobs get lucky and get a few procs in.  I'd say my gear isn't overwhelmingly better than yours but AA make a huge difference, especially Combat Agility/Lightning Reflexes, Paragon, etc.  Also lifetap procs on my weapons lower downtime.

I prefer zonelines also, even though the proc sucks I don't really have access to rezzes if I were to die, and I can't handle 2-pulls (and I don't want to train the zone).  By the descriptions of the Arena it seems like single pulling is easy but I'd rather get a group there some day in order to see for myself, hehe.  At the Qinimi zoneline I can usually kill the three wanderers, the stationary one, and 1 or 2 of the Ra'tuks before repops.  The only named you have to worry about is the Taskmistress; if Viqu the Slayer pops he's always in the stationary position so he won't add.

The mobs at Qinimi zoneline definitely don't hit for over 400 though...even with my not-so-hot AC I never get hit for over 380, even from the Nocs.  General procedure is to pull with Slow, cast Incapacitate, and melee until I'm at 50%, then back off and heal before going back in.  Sometimes I'll throw a Scorpion Venom on, but with my pull speed and rebuffing Ferocity and the healing I usually don't feel like I can spare the mana.  I run FT5 tribute too usually when I'm there.

I would definitely suggest getting pet toys if you aren't already, especially if you want to continue using pet tanking tactics.  The increased pet dps is more than worth it for me (especially since I can get 2 sets for 40 pp, pet toys are cheap on my server compared to what I've heard elsewhere).

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Verigen

Well after spending way too long in riwwi I got mine but here's what I did.

I pulled to barindu zoneline not arena.  Spaceing is just right that I never got adds but you will have to deal with a named kyv something the blindeye who will spawn and get in the way (I can't solo it so I wouldn't suggest trying tho I did duo it twice with a ranger friend).  He sees invis and can pop in either side of the enterance/exit.

Anyhow I would pull to zone with pet guarding at that point, kills are long...very long...but upon getting to zoneline I would blow the defense discipline.  The time it takes to wear off gives your pet plenty of time to take agro unless slow was resisted alot.  Back off and heal pet and you should be fine at that point.  Oh and I've never dotted, mana sive if you ask me plus the extra agro is really not worth it, you'll need it to nuke when they run.  Pathing is a pain in that spot and you might try both sides of zoneout before commiting to one as the one side is much better than the other.

Oneiromancer

One reason why Qinimi zoneline is better is that the pathing there sucks.  The mobs will just run back and forth and almost never go up the stairs.  Sometimes they'll head for the actual zoneline but they have always come back.  Barindu zoneline they head straight for the stairs which can be a pain.  Also the last time I was at Barindu the group doing the arena event would train to there practically every round.  I never got hit by the train, especially since after the first time they knew I was there and took whichever path I wasn't on...but still it was a pain and I was very glad when the group that had been at Qinimi left and I was able to go back there.  Also, pulling the ra'tuk at Qinimi they sometimes get stuck on the stairs and you have time to cast more spells on them (such as Slow if it resisted the first time) since they run so slow too.  Once I had one even "teleport" over a repop and I still got it single...but more often they've gotten stuck on the stairs long enough to catch the repop right as it spawns.  Oh well, that's what the zoneline is for, and with zoning pets it's really easy to start up again.

Game on,

Aneya

Solo I would pull to barindu because its mostly empty of mobs. I park at the canal area giving mobs plenty of space to run at low health. I don't solo there often though since xp is very slow with all the down time.
EQ Aneya 70 Beastlord Tarew Marr
EQ2 Evalin Swashbuckler Mistmoore

DontPetBear

Hmm, maybe i'll try casting Fero and drop SV from lineup.  Hopefully that will cut down on the Claw procs.  I've got V and kei on now, so will run over there and see if that combo works better than 9.
Dgam - 70 - Beastlord

Raaski Razorclaws

Fero'd I have ~300 in all resist, proc still lands on me 75% of the time or so.

Oneiromancer

I never play without Fero anymore, I certainly will use it over SV almost any time.  It helps having 50% buff extension though, making it last about 10 minutes, making it more mana efficient.

Chaos Claws has a -150 modifier according to Lucy, and I think it's Chromatic, which either takes the average of all your resists or the lowest resist (I can never remember which).  So unless all your resists are over 150 you're almost never going to resist the proc.

Game on,

alky

Quote from: Oneiromancer
Chaos Claws has a -150 modifier according to Lucy, and I think it's Chromatic, which either takes the average of all your resists or the lowest resist (I can never remember which).

Chromatic will check against the lowest resist. Prismatic against the average.

source :
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/spellhelp.html
Seigneur de la Sauvagerie Alky
65 Beastlord on Sebilis

Oneiromancer

Nice, good to know.  I remember one day I decided to buff my MR separately, since at the time it was about 15 lower than any other resist...and it really did *seem* to help with resists...whether it actually did is another story.  But it got my MR over 150 with Fero and that could have been all the difference.

Game on,

Aneya

When my PR was 121 I never resisted a proc. When I got it over 160 I would occationaly resist them. Now with a lowest resist of 208 I can resist most of the chaos claws which really helps. Given that PR is my weakest resist by a long shot. its the only one I really need to buff.
EQ Aneya 70 Beastlord Tarew Marr
EQ2 Evalin Swashbuckler Mistmoore