Main Menu

Solo Instances - well, not just yet...

Started by Lorathir, July 30, 2004, 11:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorathir

Taken from a Q and A between Woody of GU Comics and Brenlo.

QuoteWoody (12:17 PM) :
Howdy.

Brenlo (12:17 PM) :
Howdy =)

Woody (12:18 PM) :
Just so you know... I'm not fighting for solo instances. I just want to give folks something to chew on.

Brenlo (12:19 PM) :
Hey I don't mind if you do. I think they would be great. It's just a matter of time to put them in.

Woody (12:19 PM) :
It's a lot of work and folks need to realize that.

Brenlo (12:19 PM) :
Well they want to hear Yes and when they don't they get disappointed.

Woody (12:19 PM) :
**nods**

Woody (12:20 PM) :
So, just because solo instances are not going in soon does NOT mean they won't be examined for possible future addition to the game right?

Brenlo (12:21 PM) :
Correct

Woody (12:21 PM) :
And, the current answer to solo content for folks with only a limited time to play is pretty much going to be the task system right?

Brenlo (12:21 PM) :
For now, yes the task system will be the solo outlet

Woody (12:22 PM) :
It won't be purely solo though? There will be tasks that require a group?

Brenlo (12:25 PM) :
Yup they are solo for now. You can do them in groups but they are made for solo playing.

Woody (12:25 PM) :
And that won't be overly affected by race/class/level/faction?

Brenlo (12:26 PM) :
Nope it should not be. It will not be all new dungeons and such. Just thinks like, bring me 5 bear skins and a shrubbery. Although depending on your level they may leave out the shrubbery. =P

Woody (12:27 PM) :
And are the tasks designed with a "certain amount of time to complete" in mind?

Brenlo (12:34 PM) :
There will be a time limit to complete tasks and a time limit between getting tasks.

Woody (12:35 PM) :
Oh. I meant "okay, each task should take about 2 hours to complete. Let's design around that."
So, If I logged in and only got half of the task done before I had to log out... I might only have so much time to finish it when I log back in?

Brenlo (12:36 PM) :
We are shooting for a 1 hour completion time on average.

Brenlo (12:36 PM) :
That is what they will be built around.

Woody (12:37 PM) :
There will or will not be a timer on all of them/some of them?

Brenlo (12:37 PM) :
There will be a timer. Not decided if it will be all or some yet though.

Woody (12:38 PM) :
Honestly, I hope it's not mandated on all of them. Sometimes... poop happens.

Brenlo (12:38 PM) :
Yeah it does. =)

Woody (12:38 PM) :
So at release the task system is going to address approximately level 1 to 50?

Brenlo (12:41 PM) :
That is the current plan. And then we will add more tasks as we can.

Woody (12:41 PM) :
**nods**

Woody (12:42 PM) :
Will the "quest" system slowly be transitioned to the task system? (since redoing all the old quest would be virtually impossible)

Brenlo (12:43 PM) :
Hehe good question. There are plans to try and expand the task system, but nothing is firm yet.

Woody (12:44 PM) :
The task system will only be made available to those that purchase OoW?

Brenlo (12:44 PM) :
For now, yes.

Woody (12:44 PM) :
Maybe no in the future?

Brenlo (12:45 PM) :
No plans yet but you know how that goes.

Woody (12:45 PM) :
Yeah.

Woody (12:45 PM) :
The rewards will be item based? Points based? But not experience based?

Brenlo (12:48 PM) :
You will recieve experience as well as other rewards. The other rewards are still being determined.

Woody (12:49 PM) :
Are we talking considerable experience? Like, the ability to level by only doing tasks? Or just a side thing to keep folks occupied when they only have limited time?

Brenlo (12:50 PM) :
That I really do not know yet. No idea as to how much a reward will be.

Brenlo (12:50 PM) :
My personal thought is that it would have to be eqivalent to 1 hour of fighting creatures. That is just my thought.

Woody (12:51 PM) :
**nods** That's variable depending on class. But I understand the answer.

Woody (12:52 PM) :
So, since the rewards aren't finalized yet, it'd be hard to answer whether item rewards would be vendorable, or on par with decent gear appropriate for that level.

Brenlo (12:52 PM) :
Yeah, at this point I could not answer that.

Woody (12:53 PM) :
So, does SOE have a "goal" in mind for the role the task system will fill?

Brenlo (12:55 PM) :
Yes actually, we want it to provide enjoyment for people that only have an hour or so to play. Or something to do while waiting for a group.

Brenlo (12:55 PM) :
Sort of a combination of short play time option and time filler for others.

Woody (12:56 PM) :
Will the Task system eventually replace the quest system or will the two both continue to be developed and added to?

Brenlo (12:56 PM) :
nice try =) No idea yet. For now both will coexist side by side.

Woody (12:56 PM) :
**shrugs and grins**

Brenlo (12:57 PM) :
*chuckles*

Woody (12:57 PM) :
There will be a UI front end on the task system yeah? Not just text scrolling by on a screen?

Brenlo (12:59 PM) :
Yes it is planned to have it's own interface.

Woody (01:00 PM) :
What exactly will the interface communicate? Folks will see their progression through the task? Will be able to "abandon" a task before completion?

Brenlo (01:02 PM) :
By the way I responded to your questions on the leader board before I saw your post on your boards. =P

Woody (01:02 PM) :
That doesn't suprise me. I'll make sure the folks know.

Brenlo (01:04 PM) :
You will be able to cancel a task you have selected.

Woody (01:04 PM) :
And restart it later?

Brenlo (01:05 PM) :
Not that specific task but you can get another.

Woody (01:06 PM) :
Ahh. Hmm. So, if I have an hour to complete a task. And actually find a group, I can either let the time expire and lose the task. Or abandon the task and lose the task.

Woody (01:07 PM) :
In other words, if poop happens... we lose the task. **grins**

Brenlo (01:07 PM) :
Yeah for now that is the system.

Woody (01:08 PM) :
Gotcha. **nods**

Woody (01:08 PM) :
SOE is currently talking about possibly removing the based number in a group requirement for LDoN zones?

Brenlo (01:09 PM) :
It is being talked about. Purely discussion though.

Woody (01:10 PM) :
What's the general feeling on it? Unlikely? Possible? Can't say?

Brenlo (01:11 PM) :
Can't say. =)

Woody (01:11 PM) :
Would a level 65, even though the reward might be negligable, be able to go back and do a level 5 task?

Brenlo (01:12 PM) :
They do not get to select task level so nope. The task will be generated for their level.

Woody (01:13 PM) :
Ahhh! So it's not a set list of tasks. It's a task generated based on the level of the task initiator.

Brenlo (01:18 PM) :
Yuppers! And it will not simply be kill this or collect that

Woody (01:19 PM) :
Alrighty, I've had your attention for an hour now. So, any last words on solo instances? solo-content? the task system? Or any random info you want to add to shore up the grumpy footing the community seems to be standing on right now?

Brenlo (01:20 PM) :
Last word on Tasks? I think they will be a better solution than solo instanced zones as they do not remove you from the community aspect of the game. You will still be free to participate in area chats and interact with those around you while advancing your character in short play sessions.
Thanks Woody.

Woody (01:20 PM) :
Thanks Brenlo.

Source here - http://www.gucomics.com/news/solo_chat_transcript.php

Lorathir

Some random thoughts..

QuoteThere will be a time limit to complete tasks and a time limit between getting tasks.

Hope the time limit between finishing a task and selecting another one isn't too long..

QuoteLast word on Tasks? I think they will be a better solution than solo instanced zones as they do not remove you from the community aspect of the game.

An indication that solo instanced zones are not going to materialise now? I know they've stated they are not planning on doing any anytime soon, but this sounds like they've already made up their minds about them.

Corss

Okay... solo tasks >>> solo instanced zones.  I like this because it allows for a vast expanse to explore instead of tiny little subzones that lie completely empty unless someone starts them up.

I love exploring... which is why I hated half of the expansions lately being instanced, keyed, or flagged.

OoW better have lots to explore.

Corss 66.115 Beastlord::Aeria 65.52 Druid
Seventh Hammer

JillieMT

I like the task system idea, but I would still LOVE to see solo instanced LDoN. I am the solo player who kinda wishes there was a goal to reach, like you have with an LDoN adventure.

I hardly ever have the time to commit to grouping anymore at all. I love the LDoN's, but I never know if I will have enough uninterrupted time to really contribute to a group. An instanced solo adventure would be perfect for me.
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

kegulik

Haven't been following development.  What's this 'task' system?
Kegulik

Alerka

This task system doesnt really sound like what players have been asking for when they wanted solo LDoN. Actually, it sounds nothing like it.

Who knows though, maybe it will be cool. Odds are my 43 bst will be over lvl 50 by the time it goes live, ho hum.

mythral

he said it was geared towards lvl 1 to 50...if so thats almost a complete waste, the majority of almost all server populations are 50+

Chackra

"Generated" means random.  So no chance of any kind of roleplaying reason for the character to do any of this; no themes, and no progression from one task to any other, or relationship between any of the tasks.   Just gather random components for a random NPC to get a random piece of gear.

The one-hour time limit and (apparently) unrelated and unprogressive quests ensures that the rewards will be crap.  What are the odds that any of the task rewards will be better than what that level character could get from spending the same amount of time farming silk?  

Limited to level 50 -- and apparently the rewards will primarily be experience.  Just a way to get through the "transition" levels as fast as possible so that you can start playing the "real" game at the high levels?

And what was the "something to do while waiting for a group" stuff about?  What if you get a group call 20 minutes into a task?  Or what if you're trying to put a group together and people start telling you: "Be there in 20 minutes or so, hold on."  I assume these task components will be random drops, so there may be absolutely no way to accurately estimate how much time the last few items will take.  If the task rewards are any good, you won't want to quit until you're done; if the rewards are so crappy you couldn't care less about quitting when you're nearly done, what was the point in the first place?

Is there a place SOE headhunts for the people who design this kind of stuff, or do they internally train employees to come up with ideas that are as unimaginative, pointless, boring and aggravating as possible?

Lorathir

Quote from: ChackraSo no chance of any kind of roleplaying reason for the character to do any of this

There hasn't been any roleplaying reasons to do anything in Norrath of late. Look at the LDoN expansion. Bunches of odd ball mercenaries standing around in the Kaladim area doing as they please with total indifference from the Dwarves. Like, WTF? When did Dwarves and Ogres become buddies? Why do Freeport citizens have to beg and scrape to the Wayfarer morons just to gain access to area's where there's an enemy threatening their city? I guess Lucan is on holiday, eh? Why are a bunch of rag tag nobodies having a hand in Norrath's future, and not the Elven Council, or the greatest minds in Erudin? And the Dark Elves have suddenly forgotten about the Grozmek stone - didn't the story at one point hint that they were about to get involved? Guess I must have had a Bobby Ewing moment and dreamt it up.

Treat expansions as what they actually are - a means to get loot and experience. Reason went out the window a long time ago sadly, and with it, the Lore.

Kreseth

Sounds really lame but since it's under 50 & I'm not, it could sound insanely cool & not do me a damn bit of good.  Just lower the requirement to start an ldon to one person, problem solved.

--Kreseth

Hereki

What SOE are trying to deal with is that to make solo LDoNs fair and balanced, is that they need a way for non-soloing classes to use them.  Else it isn't balanced.

Adventures aren't as dynamic as you might think - each map is pre-generated, and mob placements for each of the 11 (? I think) variations have been hand made.  Choice between maps is random, mobs placement is determined by average group level.  This is a good thing, mostly  - I know that I would hate completely random maps, for a start.  They really ought to have a way to scale mob density according to group size, but I can understand that this is something they didn't want to consider.

Thinking about it, I am pretty certain that I couldn't kill enough mobs in 90 mins to win a kill mission (one mob every 90 secs, roughly), not sure about collects, and I know that an assasinate or rescue would be out of my league.

'Tasks' I would guess will be based on SWG missions.  I hope somewhat better, because I wasn't too happy with them.  Get a mission from a terminal, you choose from a long list - some are kill, some deliver a letter, and maybe some other types.  The postal missions weren't worth doing, too low return for the time invested; and kill missions were ok.  The 'nest' of mobs was generated when you got the mission, and I am not sure how well this would fit into the more deterministic world of Norrath.

Unless it's a lot better, I won't like it.  :)

Between 2 almost full accounts, I have 3 characters below 49, and one of them is a mule.  All the rest are 50+.  I currently don't raid, can't get groups for LDoNs (because I don't like the 2 hour set up times) - but I'm still having fun.

Quoteif so thats almost a complete waste, the majority of almost all server populations are 50+

This comes up a lot, and it shouldn't.  SOE are the only people in a position to know what their server pops are, and so we have to accept what they say.  Based on playtimes, ignoring Bazaar mules, they say that the majority of mains are 30-50 (or 55, depending on where you saw it).  People who post on boards tend to be hardcore 65s, and go to zones where you only see other 65s - or assume that all the lower chars in PoK are alts.  All I know is that my first guild still has more or less the same people in it, and the highest is about 52, three years on.

Bengali

Quote from: Lorathir
Quote from: ChackraSo no chance of any kind of roleplaying reason for the character to do any of this

There hasn't been any roleplaying reasons to do anything in Norrath of late. Look at the LDoN expansion. Bunches of odd ball mercenaries standing around in the Kaladim area doing as they please with total indifference from the Dwarves. Like, WTF? When did Dwarves and Ogres become buddies? Why do Freeport citizens have to beg and scrape to the Wayfarer morons just to gain access to area's where there's an enemy threatening their city? I guess Lucan is on holiday, eh? Why are a bunch or rag tag nobodies having a hand in Norrath's future, and not the Elvan Council, or the greatest minds in Erudin? And the Dark Elves have suddenly forgotten about the Grozmek stone - didn't the story at one point hint that they were about to get involved? Guess I must have had a Bobby Ewing moment and dreamt it up.

Treat expansions as what they actually are - a means to get loot and experience. Reason went out the window a long time ago sadly, and with it, the Lore.

Some of that stuff is explained, and other parts of it might be.   For example, the story basically said that the dark elves started planning something, which they very well could be doing.  Lots of stories introduce subplots and then don't resolve them immediately.   This can work just fine as long as you don't directly contradict the subplot before resolving it.  That hasn't happened yet.  It's not like the story had them marching on Freeport one week and the next week they were doing something else.

Additionally a lot of the wayfarer NPCs will tell you how they got swept up in the adventure that Morden Rasp offered, and that's why they forgot some of their old prejudices and hatreds.   I remember specifically talking to some ogre or troll who said that he came to believe in what morden rasp had to offer and became something of an outcast among his own people, and was surprised that he could get along with some of the shorter races.  This was either at one of the camps or in Nedaria's or Abysmal.
Savagespirit Bengali Grimmspirit, Scion of Shar Vahl

"My friend Mark said that he saw Bengali totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.
And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Klav

personally i hope the epic quests are solo instanced. the actual skill/gear/tactics of the player is challenged instead of a raid/group.Also removes any Bottleneck situations like the old cleric epic. Snaps for Solo Instances /snaps***

Like Luke Skywarker in ESB. In the cave you must go. Your weapons you will not need them!
"You of all people should understand what I am trying to accomplish here. You too know what it feels like to be cast aside; you've only dealt with the pain a few years-I've dealt with it for a millenia...Seeing you people everyday on this perfect little world He created for you is a constant reminder that my kind came first; your kind was most revered. And while you know forgiveness; we only know regret.

The lesson must be taught. All are accountable."-Bartleby

Lorathir

QuoteFor example, the story basically said that the dark elves started planning something, which they very well could be doing.  Lots of stories introduce subplots and then don't resolve them immediately.

Yeah, fair enough that's a good point. I don't believe it will transpire though. Colour me pessimistic!  :wink:

QuoteI remember specifically talking to some ogre or troll who said that he came to believe in what morden rasp had to offer and became something of an outcast among his own people, and was surprised that he could get along with some of the shorter races.

Yeah, that guy is in Nedaria's, on the jetty. I could possibly go along with the notion a Barbarian could get close enough to an Ogre to talk with him if the Ogre was alone and tied up. More inclined to believe the Ogre would try to eat the Barb as soon as he saw him though.  

What about the Iksar - Troll - D.E. - Gnome - High Elf - The Innoruuk worshipping Necromancers - The ideology of hatred, or fear, or trickery and deception. A lifetime of teachings, morality, worship and chaos. All dissipated because a Barbarian had a way with words? Uh uh, I don't buy that. Maybe - *maybe* - if it came from an Erudite in their infinite intellect - or a Dark Elf with their cunning. But a Barbarian? Who has amassed a veritable army of people's who have traditionally hated each other for hundreds - thousands of years? Nah.

Even if that was possible, how is there a Wayfareres camp set up in Everfrost, on the doorstep of Halas? Halasian's are not exactly known for their tolerance of evil races. And they are not exactly too chicken to stomp into that camp, kick their asses into touch and plunder The Maw of the Menagerie and set up cigar and ale shops.

Racial tension has no place in real life of course. But in Norrath it needs to come back with a vengeance. It's not just the Wayfarers that have let this concept down - every time I run through POK I shudder. How can someone have the title of Heretic or Pathfinder when they are obviously ignoring the teachings of their ancestors. Nope, you cannot pass all these things off with any feasible IC explanation.

Wow, I totally derailed my thread.  :oops:

Bengali

I guess all I could add is that it's always been the case that while various races/classes have natural enemies, they have been willing to overlook certain people and even ally with them if they prove themselves.  The wayfarers may have evil races, but they aren't doing evil things, so it's not impossible for Halas and Kaladim to tolerate them nearby.

For example, Iksars hate humans (and everyone else).  However, a human PC can do faction work and wander around Cabilis without incident.  Conceptually, there's nothing saying that the wayfarers haven't somehow demonstrated that they don't pose an imminent threat.

Besides, even if the barbs and dwarves did hate the wayfarers that doesn't mean that they would just invade them at will.   Put another way, why does Halas allow Redwind and the snow orcs to have camps so close?  Or the ice goblin igloos?  Wouldn't the Wolves of Halas or whomever just wipe them out forever?  Near just about every city there are "camps" of evildoers that the city apparently never does anything about.   It's a bit of suspension of disbelief that's somewhat necessary in order for the players to have something to do. :)  The races police their own cities and certain outposts, but they don't go cleaning up the countryside en masse.  That's for the PC's to do.
Savagespirit Bengali Grimmspirit, Scion of Shar Vahl

"My friend Mark said that he saw Bengali totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.
And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"