Main Menu

Problem with epic Scout mobs.

Started by Keelo Graeham, March 20, 2004, 10:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finamdar WS

Making the Scouts triggered, would have been nice. But it would make the epic too easy. Even more-so than it already is.
Lord Finamdar Tundrawolf
Feral Lord
Lanys T`Vyl

Apawsia

The Scouts are already the trigger for the Spirits. Just like the NPC in Skyfire is the trigger of the new Ragefire.

What do you think if a cleric triggered Ragefire but can't kill the dragon? He would have to do the campins all over again. Compare to clerics, scouts are already too generous to us already.

Even if you lose your scout, spawn is just 24-30 hours away. Compare that to other epics where they have to wait for 3-7 days for most quest mobs. For example like Trak, VS.

Vidyne

KSing aint too nice, but it is only 24-72 hours, youll find them up again.
Personally I dont believe the scouts to be the biggest bottleneck, but the Grimling Forest camp when it doesnt want to repop the war, as it occasionally does and wont repop for weeks at a time....(waited 2 weeks for mine to repop)

The guild stealing the kill is bad attitude... but only rule in EQ now is first aggro gets right to mob unless they die.

When I did my epic, I was unguilded til the final fight(well I was guilded... but 20 lvl 30s not going to help much...)

I made friends with a lvl 65 beastlord by just talking to a few in tells, and he helped me with half the scout kills, the claw material farming, and the TD fight.  When a scout needed to go down, I looked on /lfg and classes that I needed I

/tell XsoandsoX If you dont find a group soon sir/maam, would you mind helping a beastlord with an epic kill in a few minutes?

Youd be suprised how helpful some can be, some might not be willing because theyve had bad days, but if you keep looking, im sure someone will help...  

Getting KSed and coming in after a wipe on Icebound was just bad luck, and theres not much you can do about bad luck, it just happens.

Not having the grimling camps pop for me for 2 weeks was bad luck, ive know people that had the camps ready and waiting and got it in less than 15min, whereas I logged about 40 hours killing coin couriers, everyone has bad luck.

Just check again in a few days and you should be able to do them.

Ive went back and helped epic 3 beastlords in my guild, usually there for half the fights, I know you can have bad luck, but its nothing to complain about the epic about.

Our latest beastlord in guild to get epic had to do parts of it twice.
He got all the way to TD and got the 5 shard problem... GM wouldnt reverse, so it was back to killing 6 spirits again.

Soullbash

Hopefully things will work out in the end for you.  I want my epic and I know it's easy in relation to other epics.  I have parked a toon by each of the scout spawn loc except for the Ice Bound Spirit.  So far I have killed two of them and I started my epic a week ago.  I log in and check the scouts before I start playing and if one is up I jump on my BST and send the call out to my guild if none are up I go about my business until the next time I log in.  I will get them eventually.
Level 63 Savage Lord
Avengers in Faith
The Rathe

Keelo Graeham

Whoa, I did sound like a whiner there, didn't I? That wasn't my intent, I was just frustrated at the time. I know the epic is easy, relative to the others, but it still doesn't make it easy for me to complete. I'm in a small family guild whose not even in HoT yet. So, anyway, sorry for sounding like a bitz there, I wasn't meaning to, was just trying to vent a bit.
Keelo Graeham - 60th - Savage Lord - Brell Serilis

Rholin

I agree about the Scouts being on a timer.  It doesn't matter that the beastlord epic is easier than the others.  Having to wait for a mob to pop and having to be there when it's available isn't my idea of decent game design.  The challenge should be there waiting for you when you choose to face it.  THAT'S a game.

Tastian

"The challenge should be there waiting for you when you choose to face it. THAT'S a game."

Yeah that is a game and a nice sounding one too, unfortunatly it's not EQ.  Waiting on spawns and being johnny on the spot is just as important if not much more so than actually being able to do it.  Epics are one example, but so's planear progression.  I know people that are missing out on earth/fire/water/air just because others snipe VZ or TZ or whatever.  Waiting on mobs/spawns is one of the bottlenecks EQ uses as a form of annoying flow control.  In most cases something needs to be there, but yeah it's definetly annoying to know that you are more than capable and ready, but just keep missing out on your chance or have others take it first.

Rholin

Annoying flow control?  I don't follow.  Was this something that was planned by the designers, or was it just a side effect of the way they did things?

Are you saying that if quest mobs weren't on a timer that the places would be overcrowded and out of control?  I'd say they would be less crowded and people would be less itchy.  20 minute spawn timers are pretty standard, I see no reason why the scouts can't be that way, instead of having to come back in 2 days and hope noone killed him again.

Tastian

Flow control for rate at which things enter norrath.  There are lots of mobs that throughout the years have been on a 7day/3day/etc type respawn timer.  Mobs with loot or planear progression or whatever.  Respawn time is simply a part of the everquest game.  We can't go into fire and spawn fennin every 20 minutes, or even every day.  Heck we can't even pop flag only versions of the gods simply to further progression.  I think it was rathe board way back when, but it was crazy to look at the waiting list on RF.  They had a nice system setup to try and fix what was a real clusterfug at the time.  Basically though EQ limits the speed at which certain things happen.  This can be done through PH's, drop rate, respawn time, etc.  Sure the game could be faster and more "fun" in spots, but that simply isn't EQ just look at lots of other things.  The game is a time sink and is designed around having you wait and check back and hope and get frustrated at times.  *shrugs* it's all part of their world.

Loradan

Keep in mind that this is our EPIC.  Not just a general quest.  I camped the Spirit of Rage scout for 2 days.  He popped and I had noone to help.  I jumped to PoK and sent out a /ooc and got a couple people to come.  We were understaffed, but we eventually killed the monkey on steroids.  My bad luck for this is that when I went up to turn in my totem, the scout was gone.  I have no clue what happened.  So, I started camping him again.  About 24 hours into it, they did a patch/reboot (the one yesterday morning).  Guess what.  I'm STILL camping it.

My point is that if this was an easy task, you wouldn't appreciate the weapon as much as you will.

Keelo Graeham

Uh, guess you didn't read it all or read my post where I got my epic, eh?
Keelo Graeham - 60th - Savage Lord - Brell Serilis

Tastian

Remember that the scout changes once you turn in your totem to trigger the mob.  After the turn in they are then able to receive back the totem off mob.  If the servers went down then once you do find the scout up he'll just respond to hails and be expecting the trigger to spawn the mob, not the item to turn back into him.  You'll have to have try to get a GM to spawn him into other form or do the fight over again far as I know.