Main Menu

Permafrost Bear....my bane

Started by Rhajah, June 11, 2004, 03:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhajah

Hello friends.  I've been working to try and 3/4 box the epic, using my 61 SK, 65 Cleric, 62 Shaman, and of course, my 56 Beastlord.  I love multi-boxing and the new opportunities it opens up.

Anyway, I've done 4 of the 6 epic fights by myself, but I can't seem to nail down the Permafrost Spirit (the bear).  I've failed twice now.  The first time I got him to 50% and the second time I got him to 14% before everyone bit the dust.  I was hoping I could tell you my method and then maybe ask for any suggestions you might have for winning, because based on posts I've seen, it feels like this combo should work.  Ok here's what I've been doing...

First I clear out the throne room and put my Cleric, SK and Shaman (with a summoned pet), in the little nook just before the first set of doors that lead to the ice giants.  I buff everyone up - Virtue, FoS, KEI (thanks PoK), Haste, etc.  Once I'm ready, I do the turn-in with the Scout at the zoneline.  Almost immediately, the bear warps to my group in the throne room and my SK grabs agro pretty easily.  I then begin my first CHeal on him and start running my Beastlord to the throne room (takes maybe 30 secs).  Once my BST arrives, I stick him on the bear and the game begins.  I've tried using a combination of Heal over Time spells and CHeals, but the bottom line is - I just run out of mana.  By the way, I'm healing with the both the shaman and the cleric.  The bear just seems to pummel the SK fast and hard.  I have been trying to save my Harm Touch until the end - to help when the bear tries to run at 10%, but I never make it that far.  To give you an idea, the SK has about 6800hp fully buffed, has pretty nice gear (Ornate or similar) - and the same goes for the beastlord.  The bear just lays a whopping on us.

Any suggestions for winning this fight by myself?  I know I could ask another DPS to come along and that would probably cinch it, but I'd really like to do it alone if possible.  I think I'll be forced to ask a bard to help on the Gator in SONH.  

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rhajah

Tastian

Well first of all I'd move the other characters back some.  Going off the 14% fight it shows how close you are.  Clear throne area then move back so bear doesn't warp to you right away.  That's 30 seconds more of beastlord + pet damage you have well SK is tanking.  

Second I'd burn the HT at ~15-20% life maybe even a bit sooner depending on how things are going.  If bear starts to run he doesn't get too far and at most you usually get 1 IG add in my experience.  More than worth it to avoid the damage the bear is doing.

Make sure your save cold is up some.  Bears proc is 450? or so DD.  I resisted a lot of it everytime I've done, but it could add up.  

Are you over healing with the cleric?  The cleric should easily be able to CH the SK with the shaman spotting.  If you don't want to use torpor tnargs is very good at spotting.  Start the CH at 70% of the SKs life if you have to, maybe 1 spot from shaman, CH lands, should be good.  

Are you dmg shielding the SK?  You are fighting an unslowable mob that is obviously doing a lot of damage to your SK.  MoR on the mob, a shaman ds potion, etc.

There are lots of other things I could suggest, but I feel like you are really close and would probably have won your next go even without making any big changes.  8)   I know I've solo'd the bear a few times and he did put out more damage than some of the others, but I was able to stay up with just CB on myself.

Rhajah

Damage shield!?!?  Argh why didn't I think of that!?  I can't believe I let that slip.  Good idea.  I'll bet with Coldain ring, Shammy potion, MoR, and whatever else I could probably whip up a 40-50pt DS.  I probably am also overhealing just a bit, and I will move the group further back, and then just pull the bear with the SK once the BST and pet are in place.

Thanks Tastian.  Good points all.

Tastian

Shm + MoR + sk you be over a 70 point DS hehe  I think next time you'll own him.  8)

Mindlet

I really can't see why you would be loosing with that group. When I did it I had a level 65 pally with a druid to heal plus me at 52 or something.

Rhajah

Thanks for the replies guys.  I did the battle on Saturday and owned him.  I can't believe I didn't think of the dmg shield sooner.  I also finished up the Timorous Deep event earlier today - so now I just have to figure out a way to do the final battle.

Tastian

Final battle was a joke.  Last time I did solo I ran to huts once he popped, I pulled his warder solo and killed it (can leave up, but easy single pull and I wanted to hit something).  Then I pulled him with slow (after ds'n up) and started to melee him for proc damage.  With slow on I was out regen'n his damage and actually let slow fade just so he'd die faster on my DS.  

Once he get's low on life he'll BOLT so I'd suggest having HT ready on your SK, doing a nuke with bst and one with cleric (heck shaman too if ya want) once he get's low.  Really though he does no damage at all and if you kill warder first then you don't have anything at all to worry about.  Grats again on bear I knew you'd own him next go.   8)

Rhajah

Thx bro - going to try and get it done this week. :)  Really appreciate you guys' suggestions.