Main Menu

A (hopefully) simple weapon question

Started by Jenerik, January 12, 2004, 04:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenerik

Hello all! I'm a long time lurker (from the old boards) and a die hard beastlord-lover. I was hoping to partake of the wisdom of the elder beasts and ask a question about weapons.

I'm currently lvl 58 and have been saving up for quite some time for weapon and armor upgrades. I've got quite a bit of money saved up from tradeskilling alts and such, so I have decided on the WLK for primary, but I'm pondering picking up a Copper Hammer of Striking for a secondary weapon. Now here's my question....

After picking up my usual exp group buffs (Virtue/Focus) I'm a little over 4k HP's and 1050AC. If I go with the WLK/CHoS combo, I'm sure I'll be an aggro magnet with all the procs (expecially the CHoS proc). Should I hold off on the CHoS until I'm better geared and AA'd to tank? And if I hold off on the CHoS, what else could I use to maximize my DPS?

I thank you all in advance for helping me with this, and look forward to hearing your answers!
Jenerik Justicewolfe
Proud Officer of Circle of Souls
Tarew Marr

Moonchaser

I used  a CHOS/Epic combo for a short while, and never noticed aggro being a problem. As with any DPS class the key for us is to control our aggro lvl, if we have a night tank...no problem, if it is a warrior, if you get aggro, take a step back, and let warrior taunt off you, yes you may take a couple shots, bit beasts can take some damage, and tank will be able to build aggro off of you.

Coprolith

I'm not gonna tell you what weapon to buy, but i'll give you this to consider:

You prolly don't have to worry too much about agro when you put the CHoS in the offhand. The OH procs only about half as much as the MH (as a rule of thumb, the average proc rate is once a minute in the OH, twice a minute in the MH). And therein lies your real problem, weapons with large procs loose much of their effectiveness in the OH. DPS-wise, an Entwood Mace for instance would perform just as well in the OH as the CHoS, but in the MH the CHoS has a big advantage.

/hugs
Elder Coprolith III
Trollie ferrul lawd of 65 levels (retired)

Maeceo

I feel your pain in this right now as I am in a similar situation now that I have turned 55. I have a wanning light, gold inlaid ulak, a copper hammer, and a fist of iron (have not used that in eons). Currently at my level I think that the optimal combo is the copper hammer in MH and WLK in OH since this is the last level that 1HB is equal to HtH (I think, but need to double check). The thing that is so tough is giving up the damage from the proc on the copper hammer, I really like the the strings of 179 that happen quite often, but now I really need to consider the aggro generated by that proc as I group more often and find myself not being the MA.

I am doing the copper hammer in MH and WLK when I am not concerned with having the aggro and the WLK in MH and GIU in offhand when aggro is an issue. Hopefully this will keep me in check, guess we will see. :)

Jenerik

Ok, thanks all! I think what I'll do is stick with the WLK/CHoS combo (CHoS primary for max procs and WLK in offhand), and swap them when I want to avoid aggro.

Now I have one more question that I forgot to ask earlier. I'm still working my epic but as these weapons are far superior to the epic, I'm pondering picking up a Silver Shiverback Hide Sash for haste as it's the best priced on my server for a 31% haste item. Is that enough haste or should I try for a higher % haste item?

Once again, I truly value all of your opinions and thank you for the help.
Jenerik Justicewolfe
Proud Officer of Circle of Souls
Tarew Marr