Main Menu

DPS Comparison - Staff of Transcendence vs. Dual Wielding

Started by Rhaynne, January 12, 2004, 05:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coprolith

QuoteFrom Corp's excellent work on this, I have come to the following rules of thumb (sorry Corp - I like to reduce complicated things to 1 line of maths)

Nothing to be sorry about Trahma, i like rules of thumb as much as you do  :)

I tend to start by looking at things from a difference, see the commonalities, get the general picture. Only when i got those i move on to the micro level. Modal damage calculations and rules of thumb like the 95% damage with a non-HtH were good enough for me for a long time

/hugs
Elder Coprolith III
Trollie ferrul lawd of 65 levels (retired)

Sempai

I sent the detail to Coprolith, but thought I would share my first parse results with you while I am compiling my data.

This is the result of a 3.25 hour single session dps log. This was done with only 41% haste, 305 melee stats and 195 worn attack (1420 with 1hb in main hand). Tests done against a static red con mob to me. All attacks from behind (Thanks Mahes for the suggestion). For my first pass, I went with:

Primary - Ethereal Destroyer
  8399 swings
  310954 melee damage for 27.16 dps (Crit on 7.26% for 1500)
  303 procs for 243750 for 21.29 dps

Secondary - Shinai of the Ancients
  8142 swings
  369467 melee damage for 32.27 dps
  188 procs for 28200 for 2.46 dps

As most of you know, with haste and attack buffs, melee damage will go up, but the procs should remain about the same. I am not sure what the end result on dps is with these weapons yet as this was my first major parse.

Very soon, I will run a similar test, with the weapons in the opposite hands.

My goal is to determine once and for all which setup makes the most sense for my current weapons, and whether the dps upgrade for other choices makes sense based upon the needs of others in my guild.

I am sure Coprolith can share much more on the data than I can in the future.
Sempai
Malus Imperium
Tholuxe Paells

Nalitra

First of all I want to say one thing...YOU PEOPLE SCARE ME, especially Coprolith.  

Secondly, thanks a ton for all the hard work you do parsing and sharing the information.   :D

I'm moving through the elementals now.  Best weapons I have are Battle Fists (used with Waning light Katar) and a REBB.  

Looking at these results confirms my own desire to hold onto my points to ugrade to better H2H weapons.  At this point I'll shoot for Xeg fists and ultimately Shinai.  

Nalitra

Vecsus

which blue-con mob you use to test.  i'll re-run my tests on it.  (been using Katta banker)

I have SoT, Shinai, Eth Destroyer, Wraps as my primary weapons.  Oh, and if that dork wants to really see a brag post I am sure some of us here could show him some real bragging.  Pure envy on his part.
Vecsus Strangiato <Enlightened Dark>
Feral Lord
Tarew Marr
MY MAGELO!

Coprolith

Actually, the Katta Banker could be the ultimate test to prove Sempai's idea. If the ED/Shinai parses out above Shinai/ED against the Katta banker, it will do so even more against blue/red cons.
Both weapons have unresistable procs, so proc dps wont change if you change mob level. But melee dps will be considerably higher against the Katta Banker. So if the ED's huge proc dps is enough to overcome the melee dps difference against the Katta banker, it will also do so against blues/reds.

I've been playing around with my dps calculation sheet, and ED/shinai always comes out on top of shinai/ED, and by quite a large margin, no matter what stats i enter. Against the Katta Banker with 100% haste and 2000+ ATK the difference is still ~7%. It'd be a nice confirmation of Sempai's idea and add confidence to my calculation methods to see the real dps parse out higher as well (and if it turns it doesnt, it'll give me something to work on  :D )

So if you have shinai/ED parses against the Katta banker Vecsus, I'd be very interested to see the results

QuoteYOU PEOPLE SCARE ME, especially Coprolith

Good. Im a Troll, we're supposed to be scary  :twisted:

/hugs
Elder Coprolith III
Trollie ferrul lawd of 65 levels (retired)

Dummkopf

Thanks for those parses and the work on dps formulas. Its a big help in my decision to go for shinai/puresteel wraps, only thing is we still have to kill vz and we dont do xegony very often, only for the odd reflag so ED/Shinai is the other thing im aiming for.