Main Menu

Anime

Started by renl, January 11, 2004, 06:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

renl

Hello,
 I was wondering if anyone else is a fan of Anime.  I recently started getting into it and have been acquiring a small collection so far I have Orphen, Sin, and Arc the Lad.  The only place around me with a decent selection is  Best Buy so I was wondering if anyone can tell me where is a good place to shop Anime.  Oh and any suggestions on good titles please feel free on naming some.

Silanilu

What kind of things do you like, drama, mecha, fighting, comedy?

Just a few that I like
Princess Mononoke - fantasy
Now and Then, Here and There - Sci Fi, depressing (mini-series)
Ghost in the Shell - sci fi, imagery is a key in this story
Ranma 1/2 - martial arts, comedy (series)
Grave of the Fireflies - histoic, depressing
Cowboy Bebop - Sci Fi (series)
Outlaw Star - Sci Fi (series)
Bubble Gum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 - Sci Fi, "cyber punk" by others descriptions (series)

I don't care too much for Mecha so I couldn't comment on these.  Best I've ever liked in Mecha is the Patlabor series, but then the series was never about the robots really.
Silanilu
Feral Lord
Emerald Flame
The Seventh Hammer

All I need is a sandy beach to warm my scales, a palm tree for shade when I want it, and The Pooper Scooper of Doom to clean up after Dilia.

Skanda

I aslo like the Tenchi Muyo and Inuyasha series.

renl

I like the fanasty anime alot, but I will check out others.  I ordered Lain  it seems pretty interesting.  I heard about cowboy bebop and Inuyusha I guess I will break down and get them soon. I like box sets I watch them while I play EQ, so the longer the better.  So far I really like Orphen it has a great story to it I got the whole first season on DVD I cant wait for the second season to start.

Silanilu

I've seen enough Inuyasha on Adult Swim that I want to see the whole series from the start.  And yes, Lain is excellent...forgot about that one.

You might want to check out  Record of the Lodoss War.  Possibly Vampire Hunter D.  I think maybe some others could give some advice here.  I'm always looking for good stuff that I haven't seen too.
Silanilu
Feral Lord
Emerald Flame
The Seventh Hammer

All I need is a sandy beach to warm my scales, a palm tree for shade when I want it, and The Pooper Scooper of Doom to clean up after Dilia.

Thrashum Gud

Akira > all others

Zorthar

I currently have:

Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Ghost in the Shell

I have seen/want to see these series/movie:

Akira
Love Hina
Cowboy Bebop
Inuyasha

renl

I not new to Anime I am just really start getting into to it.

I agree that Akira is great, Vampire Hunter D is good I havent seen the second one yet, Ghost in the Shell is good,  Ninja Scroll is pretty damn good also.

Oh and Spirited Away is my favorite it has such a great story to it.  I much watched it like 20 times already.

Tailzin

It's extremely hard to find in the UK, but probably more readily available everywhere else....

Devilman!

...great bit of anime :)

I'm proud to own...

Princess Mononoke
Akira
Metropolis

...not quite so proud to own...

Red Hawk - but it's not a bad one ;)
Tailzin
65 Feral Lord
## Venril Sathir ##

Ragash

Iggy the Wonder Gecko and his pet Savage Lord Ragash

Noriko

Buy online, forget retail stores.

Must haves (in order of importance):
Ghost in the Shell
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Akira
Ninja Scroll
Bubblegum Crisis (the originals, the 2040 is okay but not as good)
Bubblegum Crash
Castle in the Sky - Laputa

Others rent-before-you-buy ones:
Kiki's Delivery Service
My Neighbor Totoro
Patlabor (any)
Appleseed
Golgo 13
Crying Freeman
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=774007">Noriko . http://www.celestialrising.com">Celestial Rising . http://pub228.ezboard.com/bxevserverboards">Xev . http://www.beastlords.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1593">BST65.80/Xv h++ 3khp 3km ft13 r9 G++<3 e++ o+ T+++ L++ H+++@ f g b- t++>++++ D- !X

Kammen

Quite a few anime movies listed, some of them my all time favs in no particular order:
Akira (of course)
Vampire Hunter D
Ghost in a Shell
Bubble Gum Crisis
Ninja Scroll (only the first one, the rest are junk - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!)
Princess Mononoke

I have yet to see Spirited Away (I know I'm cheating myself)

There are a few more I really like:
Fist of the North Star (probably the first anime movie I say, oldie, but goodie - I like the fact that they utilized the original comic books art style for the anime) Also, be forewarned there is a live action version - stay far-far away from that!

Vampire Hunder D - Bloodlust

The Legend of Arisland (sp?) - it is a series of 7 I believe - and I have only seen episodes 1-4 - but I loved them!  I have tried to get copies of the enire series but have yet to be able to.

Guyver - another series - I have seen the first 5 - all really good.  Also there are live movies as well.  The first one is very, very cheesy but for some reason I had fun while watching it.  The second and 3rd though, purely awesome!

I was also entertained by the Street Fighter animated movie.  Also, (now I about to date myself) Heavy Metal (the first one), but thats more because of the nestalgia.
Kammen
New Outriders
The Rathe
My necro alt

Gruzgob

Starting off with movies:

Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Ghost in a Shell
Akira (if you haven't seen this one you should be shot)
Ah! My Goddess (the movie)
Armitage Dual Matrix
Armitage III

All the ones I could think of off the top of my head.

Now for series:

Excel Saga (EXCELLENT comedy series, as long as you don't try to make any sense of it)
Fooley Cooley (or FLCL- another great comedy series that doesn't make sense :P)
Mobile Suit Gundam
Gundam Wing
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040(haven't seen the original, but loved this one)
Dirty Pair Flash
Ah! My Goddess (the series)
Full Metal Panic!
Rune Soldier
Inuyasha
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Rurouni Kenshin
Elder Gruzgob Wulfmaster
Retired 66 Feral Lord
Fluffy
60 Scaled Wolf

Gruzgob's souvenirs

DiosT

I dont like FLCL, i hate series that you have to buy the entire series, then wait to the end, before you'll understand the meaning of the movie

Great Movies:
Akira
Princess Mononoke
Armitage (Dual Matrix & Poly Matrix)
Ghost in the Shell
Samurai X (horrible name, but this is what 'made' Ruroni Kenshin... movie is a LOT more serious/grusome then the TV series)

Some nice Series:
Hellsing
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop (also get the movie :-))
Crest of the Stars (Older style anime, still a nice sci-fi series)
Banner of the Stars (comes after Crest of the Stars)
Tekkaman Blade II (Tekkaman Blade was before my time in anime, but saw the II series on DVD so picked it up... awsome!)
Berserk (Awsome, awsome, awsome medieval-age anime... If you love sword swinging and fights, this is a nice one to watch)
Ruroni Kenshin (I can only see it on TV now and then, never seen the DVD of it in stores)

Phurrin

I haven't seen that many, but here are the ones I have:

Star Ocean EX (based off a great PSX rpg's first half)
Naruto
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Inuyasha
FLCL (own it, great series)