Main Menu

Beastlord-type character classes in other RPGs?

Started by Oneiromancer, October 26, 2005, 07:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oneiromancer

So I'm thinking about trying another new game.  I've come to realize from playing EQ and WoW that I really, really like the melee-with-pet type class.  Okay, not a surprise for those of you who know me.  Since I don't yet have the desire to start a new Beastlord in EQ, or yet another Hunter in WoW, I thought I'd ask here first for suggestions for other RPGs, Action RPGs, or MMORPGs with a Beastlord-like character class that is similar in style to those two above classes.

I've played Guild Wars, and tried to do a Warrior/Ranger, but the pet's bounding box means that meleeing alongside it is a real pain.  Perhaps one day I might try a Ranger/Elementalist or something else, but I'd like to do a melee again after doing the Hunter in WoW.  I've played the Diablo II expansion, so I've played the Druid, who has a decent number of pets, and the bear is almost like having a warder, but it's still too expendable to be quite the same thing.  I can't think of any other games off the top of my head that I've played with anything even close to the Beastlord or Hunter.

I've got a PC (of course), PS2, GameCube, and GBA, so any console games that meet the criteria would work, although I doubt there are many.  I'm going to guess that it will be a single-player CRPG or an MMORPG that will have what I am looking for.  I'll probably ask the same question on a Usenet CRPG group tomorrow, but I figured this was the best place to ask first!

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Stingite

Hey buddy!

Have you tried black and white?  That game seems to put a huge emphasis on your pet.  Slightly different than your standard RPG though and definitely not hack and slash side by side with your pet. 

Also, I think Lineage II has a pet taming system.  I played the beta, but never got into the game . . . BUT, I think I remember you being able to tame pets to fight by your side.

I'm trying to remember if Shadowbane had a pet class or not.  I think they did as well.  If I get more info, I'll post it.  Thinking . . .

Oneiromancer

Ha, I shoulda known you'd answer!  ;)  I don't think Black and White is the right kind of game...and also fighting beside the pet is important to me.  And I'm not really looking for a strategy game either.

And if it's a game that just anyone can up and tame a pet to fight by their side, that's not really what I'm looking for.  I would want the whole class, or at least a significant portion of their skill set if there are options, to revolve around augmenting the pet's abilities.  Shadowbane might be the most promising of the ones you mentioned.

Thanks!

Game on,

Stingite

A few links for you:

One of the same topic at a different messageboard:
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm?load=forums&loadClass=35&loadForum=51&loadThread=55293

City of villains (expansion to CoH) has a new pet class character . . . don't know much more past that:
http://www.cityofvillains.com/faq/faq.html

I did a bit more research on Shadowbane . . . looks like their ranger has a charm animal skill, but it looks like it wouldn't be what you're looking for:
http://chronicle.ubi.com/heraldspost.php?id=11348

Peace.

Oneiromancer

Wow, considering all the bad things I've heard about Star Wars Galaxies, and then it supposedly has a really good pet class?  Will wonders never cease...

I'll definitely keep that in mind!  Thanks, buddy!

Game on,

Shamno

AO has some pretty nifty variety in the way of classes. THey got some chanter like classes and some mage type (futuristic setting), nothing in the melee/pet class variety though. I think EQ broke the mold when they created our class, because there isn't many other class types similiar to us in other MMO's.

Oneiromancer

Quote from: Shamno on October 27, 2005, 06:19:52 AM
I think EQ broke the mold when they created our class, because there isn't many other class types similiar to us in other MMO's.
And it seems to be continuing that way.  Apparently the Creature Handler is one of the classes in SW:G that is going to be downsized.  http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwarsgalaxiesaned/news.html?sid=6137122&mode=previews Looks like they are reducing the number of character professions to 9 total, and none of them seem to be pet classes.  Figures...

Game on,

Gunzak

I play a Metaphysist in Anarchy Online which is similiar to a Beastlord.  I can't tank with my character but I have a pistol so no real need.  I cant slow but I can cast Nanos, DDs, which do direct damage.  I can lower the damage output from a mob with Nanos where my beast has a weaken line of spells though I never mem them.  The Metaphysist is more similiar to a mage then a beast but its the most similiar I found.  AO also has the Engineer which has real strong pets but weak character and a Bureaucrat is like a chanter that can charm mobs to fight for him but is also physically weak.

dainfrol

I know this is a bit old, but I thought I'd put in my 2 copper.  If you would want to go with another MMORPG, FFXI might fit your style.  In order to get the pet class (Beast Master) you will need to get to level 30 (I think, it might be 20 though) in another job first.  But when you get tired of playing Beast Master, you can just change the job of your character.  Also they have a subjob system so you can play your beast master as a Pet cleric (Beast Master/White Mage), you tank and your pet help ya' (Beast Master/Warrior) or any other combination of job/subjob.
WildbloodXikahtizuDragonblood - 75 - Beastlord - Luclin (Veeshan)