Main Menu

Advice, please.

Started by Inphared, November 08, 2006, 08:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inphared

My current PC is becoming outdated, and I have to share it with multiple users, and I'm just about fed up with it, so I've come to the conclusion that I need my own computer. I don't plan on buying a pre-build one, like Dell or something sells, I'm buying everything individually. This is where I need a little bit of help.

This computer's primary function is going to be playing EQ, most likely running multiple instances. The maximum I'm willing to pay for something like this would have to be about $800, including monitor, keyboard, microphone, speakers, etc.

Suggestions?

Khauruk

First scour friends' closets, etc, for whatever parts you can scrounge up first.  Get a CRT or 2 used from work/family/friend/comp. repair place in town.  Then look on newegg.com, or tigerdirect.com for a barebones kit.

If this is EQ only, you can get the smallest harddrive you can, and ignore cd/dvd drive, etc,.  (swap drive to install EQ originally if setting up a network isn't possible)  SerialATA HDs would be nice, but probably not in that price range.  There's some pretty decent graphics cards you can get for $35-70ish (make sure they're DirectX 9 compatible, and more pixel shaders = better).  Processor - whatever you can afford in the price range.  Memory - lots.  How many instances?  1 gig seems to work alright for me w/ 2 instances using old models, but not amazingly well.

If you can find a Nostromo (or have one already), you can make the other instances ultra-small to save resources (think minimum size on each window, everything turned off, blind-botting).  Check out rpgexpert.com - there's a good article on multi-boxing on one comp on there w/ good ideas.  Though you might be doing these already....
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Kunnar

First, go to www.overclockersclub.com and make a post exactly like the one here. That is one massive grouping of geeks, they know EVERYWHERE you can get cheap components, and will give great advice on it. There are also several good tutorials on building your own machine.

My thoughts.....Asus P4C800 MOBO for about $60
                       P4 3.0 to 3.2 gig 800 mhz fsb processor  $80 to $120
                       Antec case   $35
                       60 or 80 gig SATA HD     $50
                       1 gig Duel Channel Memory     $80 to $120
                       Nvidea Geforce 6800 256 mb Video card      $120
                       Soundcard         $40
                       Keyboard and Mouse     $20 (nothing fancy)
                       17" LCD Monitor   $199